if you're in NY, watch out for me

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i signed up for driving classes
icon_sad.gif

i think i'm just the kinda person that doesn't belong on the road. my nervousness and temper DO NOT mix. i just didn't want my license, but after i took the bus to my new school (college) today, i knew i had to. it's gonna take 4 hours and i just can't do it every day.

another reason why i don't wanna drive is because when i was about 4, my family got into a bad car accident in manhattan and the other car crashed into the building, my dad and 4-month-old sis had to go the hospital, and i remember that night like it was yesterday. i just get scared
icon_sad.gif

who drives and how did you learn? if you don't drive, why not?

where i live, if you don't drive, you're a home dweller... our mass transit system is nonexistent.. i learned when i was 15 in high school but i didn't get my license til i was 17 (all of my friends had licenses and cars so i didn't need to)... so i guess i've been driving for roughly 10 years and given my temper, it's a blessing that i've never had an at-fault accident... but i'm a road rager (i know, bad me)... but, like i said, it's a necessary evil around here... (Virginia)

Good for you, it'll be the best thing you did for yourself in years ! Once you get your license and start driving you'll enjoy it. Better than having to rely on people to take you places...Just get in & go ! Good Luck !

Originally Posted by QurlySq where i live, if you don't drive, you're a home dweller... our mass transit system is nonexistent.. i learned when i was 15 in high school but i didn't get my license til i was 17 (all of my friends had licenses and cars so i didn't need to)... so i guess i've been driving for roughly 10 years and given my temper, it's a blessing that i've never had an at-fault accident... but i'm a road rager (i know, bad me)... but, like i said, it's a necessary evil around here... (Virginia) i know what you mean. i live 20 mins. outta NYC and the train is on my block, so it wasn't really a necessity, but now that i have to go more up state to get to school, it's gonna be a pain with the bus taking 2 hours, whereas if i drove, it takes 25 mins.!
KO, that's what my mom said! thanks
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I've been driving for about 10 years... got my permit at 16 - took driver's ed and got my license at 17... been driving since!
smile.gif
I can't live without my own way to get around. We have mass transit here, but the buses are a pain, and the trains only come a few times a day & dont' go anywhere good anyway. I can't live without my car... If its being fixed for a day & I'm without it... I'm lost!!
icon_wink.gif

But I will be sure to steer clear of the city!
wink.gif
j/k

Jennifer, I think it's going to be a good thing for you!

I grew up in the country and started driving as soon as I could reach the gas/brake pedals! I would drive the pickup back and forth on the dirt road a million times a day. I did get lots of experience at a very young age. It was SO much fun!

I'd be screwed if I didn't drive now.

Well, my dad taught me how to drive when I was 15, got my permit at 15 and 1/2 and got my license at 16. I've had my own car since the day I turned 16 and I promise you that you will love it!! It is definately scary at first but a piece of cake once you do it a couple of times. Congrats and I hope you enjoy it. Just be careful!

just be a patient driver. the people who get into accidents are the ones who are impatient and manic.

i took driver's ed calsses outside of school when i was 15, got my permit early too. got my dL the day after my 16th bady. my bday was on a sunday, and i got it on monday. been driving ever since.

never gotten a ticket. got tons of parking tickets when i was in college and 1 ticket for a party we had one time. lol. but no actual driving tickets.

I lived in Manhattan all my life so I really didn't have a need for a car since everything is within walking distance or a bus/train/cab ride away, but I wanted to learn to drive regardless. I took driving lessons in the city, so you can just imagine what I had to go through, crazy cabbies and pedestrians everywhere. I've had my DL since I was 17 (junior license), so I've been driving a while now.

Jennifer, I think once you get used to driving around, you're gonna love it. Just something about being free and independent and not having to worry about mass transit or waiting around for someone to drive you. Definitely be patient and think of it as just something you need to do. Trust me, you'll love it. Good luck and don't be so nervous.

thanks, everyone!

a lot of you got it really young!! i'm excited, but then nervous! i hope the person who teaches me isn't some stiffy person who will make me even more nervous.

i'd love to buy my own car and i'm trying to save up so i can have it in about 6 months. i have to pay for that and insurance (plus college), so yep, not easy, but i'm determined
cool.gif

thanks again!

Originally Posted by Jennifer thanks, everyone!
a lot of you got it really young!! i'm excited, but then nervous! i hope the person who teaches me isn't some stiffy person who will make me even more nervous.

i'd love to buy my own car and i'm trying to save up so i can have it in about 6 months. i have to pay for that and insurance (plus college), so yep, not easy, but i'm determined
cool.gif

thanks again!

awesome!! What car do you want to get?
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I got my license when I was seveteen and it was awesome. Having a license totally gives you a sense of freedom.

Have fun!

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 awesome!! What car do you want to get?
icon_cheesygrin.gif
honda civic coupe ex. i mean, it's like, $13,000, not a sportscar or anything like that to excited over, but i think it's cute and heard it's good for its price. i want it in white, too. that's not the actual car. i just googled it
smile.gif

D5142A.jpg

FYI - I don't know if NY is anything like SF but here, Hondas get stolen ALL the time. My sister's got stolen twice in a matter of six months.

Originally Posted by Jennifer honda civic coupe ex. i mean, it's like, $13,000, not a sportscar or anything like that to excited over, but i think it's cute and heard it's good for its price. i want it in white, too. that's not the actual car. i just googled it
smile.gif

D5142A.jpg

nice!!! Cute car!
claps.gif

Originally Posted by Marisol FYI - I don't know if NY is anything like SF but here, Hondas get stolen ALL the time. My sister's got stolen twice in a matter of six months. oh, wow! how? why hondas, though? just easy?

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 PS... now you can come pick me up for a spin
wink.gif
We can MAC haul! lol LOL! definitely
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer oh, wow! how? why hondas, though? just easy? They strip them and sell their parts. Like I said, that is how it is in SF so do some research and find out.

Originally Posted by Jennifer oh, wow! how? why hondas, though? just easy? Thats funny you mention that - they are actually the #1 stolen car in NY from what I hear too,.... I don't know why - But a friend of ours has had really nice trucks for years, expensive rims/tires, stereos, etc etc. (Plus lives on the Service Road of the LIE - major expressway on Long Island) and never had a problem. Last year he sells his truck and buys a Honda Civic (new) - comes outside one morning, and his car is on 4 rocks!!! They stole his wheels right off the car & left it propped up on big rocks!!! the STOCK wheels!!!
icon_eek.gif

Latest posts

Back