I'm a guy, but need a womans help

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a guy, 17 years old. I have always had pretty clear skin, everyone says I have baby skin because it's really soft and clear. I use cetaphil face wash and apply olay normal face lotion after my shower. My skin is really clear compared to alot of my friends, but for some reason my face always is shiny/gleamy looking, and I don't like it. Also, it seems like I'm the only of my friends with this shiny/gleamy skin problem, even though they don't have as clear of skin. I use oil reducing pads, but that only helps for a small period of time. I'm starting to think it's not really oil on my skin? I was just wondering if anyone knew what this was, and give me some tips on what I can do to get rid of this, because I just want my face to look normal and not gleamy or dry. Thanks.

Healthy young skin has a level of light reflection.  It will shine/gleam to a certain degree. It is dry skin, mature skin that does not shine.  Its hard to tell what you are talking about without a photo.  If you can upload a photo, it would be most helpful.  Your friends' not so shiny skin could be a result of the products they use in attempts to remove the oils. 

You can use a light powder (translucent powder) to absorb the shine.  There are also mattifying gels that you can use.

I would use some sort of mattifying balm or primer so that you don't have to worry about getting powdery.  I recommend Smashbox Light primer, Murad Hybrids Skin Perfecting Primer in Matte Finish, or Benefit Dr. Feelgood Mattifying Balm.

If you want to do powder, I recommend Makeup Forever's HD powder, or a cheaper dupe, ELF's HD powder (though if you can't find it at your local target, you'll have to pay shipping).

You can also get oil blotting sheets, again ELF has them for cheap, someone has them at the drug store (Clean & Clear?), and you can get them from Boscia or Sephora Collection at Sephora.

If you wanna go totally cheap, use some toilet paper to blot when you go to the rest room. TP or hand towels (especially brown recycled paper) are good at absorbing oils.  You can also splash some water on your face and pat it dry.  That'll get rid of shine too. 

The guy in the photo has been photoshopped.  

The guy in the photo is Jensen Ackles and as Diva pointed out he's been photoshopped. Also keep in mind on photoshoots even men get makeup applied along with powder to even out their skintone and keep the shine off. Here's a picture of Jensen at Comic Con in 2011 and notice his skin without makeup or touch ups is shiny.

If you want your skin more matte you could try a facial lotion for oily skin and see if that helps.

Latest posts

Back