I'm really not a terrible person...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just feel so crummy right now. I'm taking an Environmental Technology course because I am interested in conservation and chemistry. So many people in my class are activists and I quickly feel like I'm the odd one out.

I mean, sure I care about the environment, but not to the extreme that these people do. It just makes me feel like I'm a horrible person because I don't agree with people protesting biological engineering cheritable organisations that are trying to give seeds free of cost to developing countries. These people just seem to sign petitions left and right and then get offended when I refuse to sign something because I don't know anything about it. I think they really would rather if I was a mindless drone that just accepted anything they told me as fact.

My interests really revolve around mulusks such as snails, and people in my class continue to think I'm weird for this reason. Why is it weird that I own and am interested in snails, why they are interested in dogs or cats? Sure it's unusual, but why weird? Especially since many snails such as the Giant African Land snail, or canas could easily take over a habitat if they were introduced? Or when the Cone snail has enough venom to kill a human, and the venom is a potential for a non-addictive substitute for morphine? Why is it crazy that this interestes me but I dont care about chaining myself to a tree?

I'm so frusterated and I'm really starting to think I went into the wrong type of course. I'm feeling like my values aren't right, and that I'm wrong for putting human needs before the environment.

No! Do not second guess yourself on the account of others. You know what you are there for, that is good enough. You do not need to explain yourself. Those people just need to leave you alone. Sure, you're gonna have people that get mad and cuss you out for not blindly signing their petition. They just need to grow the heck up and get over it. Not every cause is a noble one in everyone's minds.

Seriously though, a person who really has a developed, mature mind about things would not turn ugly if you refused to sign. Petitions should really be more about public education and not indiscriminate lobbying. Whenever you refuse to sign those things and people switch their faces on you, they are really telling you all about themselves. Which in itself, is not such a bad thing after all.
wink.gif

Nox always has the most well thought out posts!! Tough act to follow! LOL

Do not feel badly that your views may not coincide with theirs. If they react to you not signing their petitions...shame on them. I would call them out on it next time. Simply say...for someone with such liberal views, you sure don't know how to respect others.

you'd love my course, we look at microorganisms all the time, and *I* feel bad that I'm not more interested in the fossilized remains of some animal that is no bigger than a grain of sand
frown.gif

so dont feel bad! you're not at uni to have the same opinions as everyone else - that's what high school is for! uni/college is there for appreciating the differences between each other and learning about lots of different opinions and stuff
smile.gif
of course you're not a bad person
biggrin.gif

you don't ever have to explain yourself to anyone. we all have different interests and passions and that's what makes the world go round (i guess that was kind of corny. lol~) people will always think what they want to about you, it's how you think about yourself that counts. btw, i think you're pretty cool and i'll beat your research will be invaluable!

Krazy,

You said it. You don't want to be a mindless drone. It's easy to sit in school and make people sign petitions. Its hard to actually learn how the parts of the environment work together. We have screwed up our planet and things need to be fixed. Those fixes won't come from petitions, but by people such as yourself that have learned how people can work with the environment in a positive way.

OH MY GOD THERE IS SOMEONE ELSE OUT THERE BESIDES ME WHO IS LIKE THAT!

no your not a bad person, you just have common sense!

im in env. sci major, so ive dealt and still have to deal with people like that all the time!

like im not a true envionmentalist if i dont wanna chain myself to a tree and get arrested.....

maybe its just me but no one ive ever met who chained themselves to a tree or got arrested ever did anything to change the env. (or else we wouldnt have a problem with it now).

i figure im going to school to help fix the problem, cause i cant really help fix the problem if im in jail.

Originally Posted by Retro-Violet /img/forum/go_quote.gif OH MY GOD THERE IS SOMEONE ELSE OUT THERE BESIDES ME WHO IS LIKE THAT!
no your not a bad person, you just have common sense!

im in env. sci major, so ive dealt and still have to deal with people like that all the time!

like im not a true envionmentalist if i dont wanna chain myself to a tree and get arrested.....

maybe its just me but no one ive ever met who chained themselves to a tree or got arrested ever did anything to change the env. (or else we wouldnt have a problem with it now).

i figure im going to school to help fix the problem, cause i cant really help fix the problem if im in jail.

So true!!! I took an Environmental Science course two quarters ago, and environmental preservation was all we talked about. I do care about the environment, and yes, we need to make changes. But I wouldn't consider myself an environmental activist either. You don't need to be an extreme activist in order to care, and you don't need to sign any petitions you don't agree with! Don't sacrifice your own beliefs.

I honestly don't understand why people would think an interest in snails would be weird! They don't seem to grasp the fact that the environment is an interaction of all creatures, big or small! Sometimes people take for granted how one little tiny creature could have such huge effects on the environment as a whole.

You're not a terrible person, hun. Keep doing what you're doing and don't feel bad that you're not blindly following people whose beliefs you don't agree with.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif so dont feel bad! you're not at uni to have the same opinions as everyone else - that's what high school is for!
biggrin.gif
Lol, except it seems everyone in her class DOES seem like they share the same opinion...that might be the issue

Latest posts

Back