Im trying to loose weight but nothing is working. Please help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

I quit smoking in January and between then and April have gained 2 1/2 stone 
sadyes.gif
 I started going to the gym early may and have been going around 3-5 times a week since (have had a week off a couple of times for hols). I have started watching what i eat, cutting down my portions and swapping fried for boiled and veg, fat burning foods act but im just getting bigger and bigger! Its so upsetting because im so used to being slim. Im the time i have been working out and dieting i have not lost a pound or inch off myself. I do occasionally eat naughty food but my diet has change a lot so it should be making some difference. Whats wrong with me?? Can you advise anything, im getting depressed

Eat a healthy breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner with two small snacks in between.  This keeps your metabolism stable without creating the blood sugar surges that large meals do. Don't eat at least 3 hours before you go to bed. Avoid all fast food. Avoid all refined sugar. Avoid soda. Avoid "diet" foods that frequently are worse for you than their original counterpart. Try and eat simple foods like an apple or pear when you have a sweet urge. Exercise portion control. Do not start skipping meals, it doesn't work. It puts your body into starvation mode and when you start eating again you balloon up. Make sure you are well hydrated. To reward yourself make sure to have dessert once a week...a good one, not a diet one. As someone once told me, "It's not what you eat once in awhile that is making you fat, it's what you eat everyday that is making you fat."

If you find you still aren't losing consider making a food journal. Honestly write down each thing you eat and it really helps you get a grasp on just how much is going in. You can also talk to the trainers at the gym and explain your goals to them so they can set up a workout to maximize your time.

P.S. Dont make this an excuse to go back to smoking. Hang in there... you can do it!

You can check with your doctor to see if your metabolism is where it should be. If you have a thyroid condition, it may prevent you from losing weight.  Are you taking medication that may be making you gain weight?  

There are apps like Myfitnesspal.com to track your food calories and exercise calories.  You need to reduce calories either thru usage or portion control by 3500 calories a week to lose 1lb/week.  If you are not, you will not be losing weight. You may need to workout everyday to give your metabolism a kick start.  

You need to do Cardio exercises to lose weight. Weight lifting does not burn fat quickly but it will burn fat on a longer period of time.  

Originally Posted by FamusLady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi

I quit smoking in January and between then and April have gained 2 1/2 stone 
sadyes.gif
 I started going to the gym early may and have been going around 3-5 times a week since (have had a week off a couple of times for hols). I have started watching what i eat, cutting down my portions and swapping fried for boiled and veg, fat burning foods act but im just getting bigger and bigger! Its so upsetting because im so used to being slim. Im the time i have been working out and dieting i have not lost a pound or inch off myself. I do occasionally eat naughty food but my diet has change a lot so it should be making some difference. Whats wrong with me?? Can you advise anything, im getting depressed

Bear in mind that the body can be a mystery. Once I got back into working out, it was months before I saw anything on the scale or the tape. 

When was your last physical? When did you have your biochemistry checked last? These are all indicators to a potential problem that is not helping you. Hang in there though, you can do this. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It is sad that with all these efforts, you are not losing weight. You should do regular exercise like biking, swimming or play some sort of game to reduce weight. It seems like that your metabolism is quite low. For increasing your metabolism drink green tea after your meal it will boost your metabolism and help you to reduce fat fast. Drink plenty of water and don't skip your meals. This way you definitely able to reduce weight.

Thanks Guys

I am eating properly and cutting out sugary and fatty foods and not skipping meals, and haveing snacks like fruit or almonds between. I have been given a meal plan which i stick to and even my gym instructor was shocked that nothing is happening. Switched my fried chicken for grilled, eating alot of steamed veg instead of white rice, drink only water and green tea, cut my alcohol intake right down (still have the odd tipple lol), i work out when i can but because of work and kids everyday is not possible, but i still try and at least walk or run up and down the stairs! ... I have been trying diet thinks like diet yoghurts, diet butter and diet mayo should i just go back to normal with those? I have also changed my oil from Vegetable oil to extra virgin olive oil so if i do have something cooked with oil its a better alternative (which is vary rare), bown instead of white everything. Do you think i should take anything to assist, im very sceptical with pills and stuff? I will go and see a doctor because it is getting my down alot. Thank you for your help so far x

Thanks Guys

I am eating properly and cutting out sugary and fatty foods and not skipping meals, and haveing snacks like fruit or almonds between. I have been given a meal plan which i stick to and even my gym instructor was shocked that nothing is happening. Switched my fried chicken for grilled, eating alot of steamed veg instead of white rice, drink only water and green tea, cut my alcohol intake right down (still have the odd tipple lol), i work out when i can but because of work and kids everyday is not possible, but i still try and at least walk or run up and down the stairs! ... I have been trying diet thinks like diet yoghurts, diet butter and diet mayo should i just go back to normal with those? I have also changed my oil from Vegetable oil to extra virgin olive oil so if i do have something cooked with oil its a better alternative (which is vary rare), bown instead of white everything. Do you think i should take anything to assist, im very sceptical with pills and stuff? I will go and see a doctor because it is getting my down alot. Thank you for your help so far x
As far as trying diet everything I would just cut those out completely. Most of the time when something is "diet" it has something artificial in it thats bad for you. As for not losing weight, I have PCOS and without me eating and exercising in a specific way, I would never lose weight. So maybe you should consult your doctor about this. I think it would be the best idea.

Thanks Guys

I would try to cut out condiments completely but if you do need to add condiments to foods, instead of using more salt, try adding different spices which kicks up the flavor but doesn't make you retain water as much as salt does. Instead of using mayo or ketchup, try using mustard which has very few calories, and instead of a bottled salad dressing use a little olive oil and vinegar.  Condiments are a big hidden source of calories because most people just don't think about how much we're adding to our foods.

I stay away from all diet foods because they are loaded with preservatives and I've read that it's the preservatives that make you gain weight (just like another poster above noted). I'll occasionally indulge in a regular soda or a small bag of chips or a small bakery item. This sounds extreme, but honestly once you start eating clean and healthy your taste buds adjust and when you go back to the foods you ate before you'll find that they are too salty and too sweet. When I crave something I'll eat it (I won't eat a whole bag of chips or drink a 2 liter of soda, I'll still limit myself) but I'll be satisfied for a while because I didn't deprive myself.

I also have a hard time drinking water all the time (it's a little boring :p) so I drink flavored seltzer waters ( still zero calories and sodium, but they're flavored with natural fruit essence and they make me feel like I'm drinking something other than water)

This is a pretty good blog in terms of getting tips on what to eat and when to eat it : http://www.kimberlysnyder.net/blog/

My favorite tips are: eating pineapple to help with digestion and when eating fruits and vegetables eat those first before other foods (she says this will cut down on bloating and you'll get full sooner from eating good, clean foods). Eat crunchy foods so that you get the satisfying feel and sound from biting into the food (sounds weird, but when you engage all your senses while eating you do feel more satisfied). Celery is great for this because it is a negative calorie food - you'll burn more calories trying to digest it than the calories you gain from eating it - and baby carrots are great too. If I have to dip my raw veggies into something I'll use hummus or I'll drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over them.

Eating lots of fiber is also key to feeling full and satisfied with your meal longer. I mix fiber into whatever it is I'm drinking (normally it will be a big glass of  water with a little fruit juice mixed in) so that I can get some extra fiber into my diet

And lastly, I try to go by the basic rule of eliminating all white foods - white rice, white bread, pasta, etc. This one is a little hard to go by since I love me some carbs! I've found that  quinoa is a great whole grain that is packed with nutrients and is almost like couscous or rice so it's a great substitute. There is also quinoa pasta too! I don't really eat much bread to begin with, but If I do get bread I go with one where you can see the whole grains  (I want to see the bits of grain in the bread!)

These are basically all the diet rules that I go by - hope this helps you!

Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would try to cut out condiments completely but if you do need to add condiments to foods, instead of using more salt, try adding different spices which kicks up the flavor but doesn't make you retain water as much as salt does. Instead of using mayo or ketchup, try using mustard which has very few calories, and instead of a bottled salad dressing use a little olive oil and vinegar.  Condiments are a big hidden source of calories because most people just don't think about how much we're adding to our foods.

I stay away from all diet foods because they are loaded with preservatives and I've read that it's the preservatives that make you gain weight (just like another poster above noted). I'll occasionally indulge in a regular soda or a small bag of chips or a small bakery item. This sounds extreme, but honestly once you start eating clean and healthy your taste buds adjust and when you go back to the foods you ate before you'll find that they are too salty and too sweet. When I crave something I'll eat it (I won't eat a whole bag of chips or drink a 2 liter of soda, I'll still limit myself) but I'll be satisfied for a while because I didn't deprive myself.

I also have a hard time drinking water all the time (it's a little boring :p) so I drink flavored seltzer waters ( still zero calories and sodium, but they're flavored with natural fruit essence and they make me feel like I'm drinking something other than water)

This is a pretty good blog in terms of getting tips on what to eat and when to eat it : http://www.kimberlysnyder.net/blog/

My favorite tips are: eating pineapple to help with digestion and when eating fruits and vegetables eat those first before other foods (she says this will cut down on bloating and you'll get full sooner from eating good, clean foods). Eat crunchy foods so that you get the satisfying feel and sound from biting into the food (sounds weird, but when you engage all your senses while eating you do feel more satisfied). Celery is great for this because it is a negative calorie food - you'll burn more calories trying to digest it than the calories you gain from eating it - and baby carrots are great too. If I have to dip my raw veggies into something I'll use hummus or I'll drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over them.

Eating lots of fiber is also key to feeling full and satisfied with your meal longer. I mix fiber into whatever it is I'm drinking (normally it will be a big glass of  water with a little fruit juice mixed in) so that I can get some extra fiber into my diet

And lastly, I try to go by the basic rule of eliminating all white foods - white rice, white bread, pasta, etc. This one is a little hard to go by since I love me some carbs! I've found that  quinoa is a great whole grain that is packed with nutrients and is almost like couscous or rice so it's a great substitute. There is also quinoa pasta too! I don't really eat much bread to begin with, but If I do get bread I go with one where you can see the whole grains  (I want to see the bits of grain in the bread!)

These are basically all the diet rules that I go by - hope this helps you!
Yeah there is some good tips there, but im not to far off what your doing, thats why im so confused as to why im not loosing any weight! Ive managed to cut out ketchup and i only have mayo if i have tuna but will try that without as well.  I think sticking to what im doing and consulting the doctor will be the best idea, as it is actually concerning me. Thank you

Originally Posted by Hezzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As far as trying diet everything I would just cut those out completely. Most of the time when something is "diet" it has something artificial in it thats bad for you. As for not losing weight, I have PCOS and without me eating and exercising in a specific way, I would never lose weight. So maybe you should consult your doctor about this. I think it would be the best idea.
Thank you, im definatley going to see my doctor as it is concerning me a lot.

Well I've just recently gotten into eating much healthier and I have joined lite n easy ( not sure if you have that where you are) I've lost 2kgs in a week and have not exercised nor eaten any bad food. Everything is ready to go for you for breakfast lunch and dinner so there's no excuse to eat bad. I've found success in this so I hope this can help you too.

Well I've just recently gotten into eating much healthier and I have joined lite n easy ( not sure if you have that where you are) I've lost 2kgs in a week and have not exercised nor eaten any bad food. Everything is ready to go for you for breakfast lunch and dinner so there's no excuse to eat bad. I've found success in this so I hope this can help you too.

What i know is that a healthy person has to go to the toilet every morning  and take a dump (sorry for my expression nothing nicer came to my mind)

So think about it do you go every morning to the toilet??? Eating fresh LOCAL fruits every morning allows you to eliminate and go to the toilet....

Another thing is your attitude.....your body works according to your nervous system. you might not eat a lot but if you are stressed or tired your body will react in such a way that u gain or loose weight (which i think in your case is you gain)

So try not to be stressed or tired, or unhappy...

You know how it says laughter and happiness is the best medicine well since you sayd you have children then why not take them in the park and play loads of games like racing, catch and catch, soccer anything that does keep you active yet you are happy and enjoying your self with your kids ( and its a bonus because you spend time with the kids). When i was younger i used to play tennis with my mother who at first couldn't do 1 lap around the tennis court and after a while she was racing with me...then we did a belly dancing workout and she lost a lot of weight, if you want the link to the video let me know.

So my advice if be positive and optimistic don't give up just yet....YOU WILL DO IT!!! I trust in you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by GlitzGlam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What i know is that a healthy person has to go to the toilet every morning  and take a dump (sorry for my expression nothing nicer came to my mind)

So think about it do you go every morning to the toilet??? Eating fresh LOCAL fruits every morning allows you to eliminate and go to the toilet....

Another thing is your attitude.....your body works according to your nervous system. you might not eat a lot but if you are stressed or tired your body will react in such a way that u gain or loose weight (which i think in your case is you gain)

So try not to be stressed or tired, or unhappy...

You know how it says laughter and happiness is the best medicine well since you sayd you have children then why not take them in the park and play loads of games like racing, catch and catch, soccer anything that does keep you active yet you are happy and enjoying your self with your kids ( and its a bonus because you spend time with the kids). When i was younger i used to play tennis with my mother who at first couldn't do 1 lap around the tennis court and after a while she was racing with me...then we did a belly dancing workout and she lost a lot of weight, if you want the link to the video let me know.

So my advice if be positive and optimistic don't give up just yet....YOU WILL DO IT!!! I trust in you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That some great advice. I do go swimming and walks with the kids when im not working, but due to such bad weather we have had this summer it has limited us. I am a bit stressed and overworked as i own 2 business so always very busy. I will definitely take on the positive state of mind, if i stay away from a mirror i should beable to do that lol (but as soon as i go infront of one sad times). THank you for you tips x

When I'm under a lot of stress I tend to gain weight... then I stress about my weight;) What helps me is meditation. I know its not for everyone but it works for me.

Originally Posted by DecoratedBeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I'm under a lot of stress I tend to gain weight... then I stress about my weight;) What helps me is meditation. I know its not for everyone but it works for me.
I definitely gain under stress as well

Originally Posted by DecoratedBeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unfortunately, the human body cannot differentiate between mental and physical stress.  The response is identical and that is to store energy for a fight/flight response.  

When you are feeling stressed, take a deep breathe and hold it.  Count to 10 and this will reset your stress levels.  

I can understand your problem and what you are going through. I may advice you to start doing Cardiovascular exercises since they are very effective in losing weight. Try to cut down on your foodstuffs loaded with fats and carbohydrates. Also stay away from junk foods as they are very bad for your health and body.

Latest posts

Back