I'm wondering do any of you use stage make up for portions of your life, and what is the latest way to remove it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Years ago I was in a local ballet company and when we did the performances we had to use the heavier than normal stage make up. It took some time to get it on, and longer to get it off. I remember it would take about an hour to removed it all. Lots of Noxzema and soap and followed by a face cream to make it soft and natural again.

I'm wondering do any of you use stage make up for portions of your life, and what is the latest way to remove it?

It will be interesting to see the answers. I used stage makeup for ballet many years ago. It will be interesting to see if there are newer, better ways than what you descirbed.

The best and fastest way to remove full coverage make-ups is to use hot towels. (We use this removal method in film and television)

Hand towels are the best size or very large face cloths.

1) Soak several towels in hot water, (4 should do, or 6 depending on how heavy the make-up is set), wring out the excess, but not too much, roll them up and place them in a towel warmer at 180 F for about 8 hours. (this is the preferred method). Most towel warmers can hold about 15 - 20 rolled up wet face cloths.

Or place one wet towel at a time loosely in a microwave and heat it on high in 25-30 second increments, using tongs, flip over the towel at each interval to make sure the towel is heated evenly throughout. But not scalding hot and also to make sure that the towel doesn't catch fire.

2) Carefully place the very warm wet towel on your face and let it sit there for about 15-20 seconds.

3) Gently wipe your face with enough pressure to "get at the make-up". Before the towel begins to cool, flip it over on the clean side and wipe.

4) When the towel begins to feel unwarm, Repeat with another "hot" towel and repeat from #2, 3 and so on.

5) Most of the heavy / full coverage make-ups will be removed. Then use your usual pH balanced facial cleanser and toner to remove any left over make-up residue.

For best results, make sure all the towels are on the hot wet side, enough that you won't burn or scald your face. Luke warm towels won't work.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back