IMATS LA: Coastal Scents

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I've bought so many brushes from Coastal Scents, and I know I've talked about them tons on this site.

They were at their very first IMATS.  I got to meet with the President of the company, who told me that their hottest items right now, are the 252 shade make up palette.  Seriously. 252 different colors.  It was $24.95 at the show, $39.95 online.  In a few weeks, all 252 colors will be available as individual magnetic hot pots that can be placed inside any of their custom blank palettes (they come in sizes of 4, 12, and 28 pots) so it can be more convenient to carry around if you know you'll only need a few colors.

I always thought that Coastal Scents was just a distributor, and I used to be right.  They now have their own production department, and are trying to get a patent on their 252 shade palette.  They said that they try to come out with new and unique ideas and palettes, and everybody else ends up duping them, which is why you'll see so many palettes everywhere that look alike.  (the funny part is, on the other side of the tradeshow, I actually saw a dupe of the 22 piece brush set that Coastal Scents showed me, but the brush fibers were obviously rougher.) They've also started producing their brushes in house too.  He was not happy with the quality of the brushes he was getting as a distributor, so now they have both synthetic and real fiber brushes that they're producing on their own.

Having purchased 2 brush cases from them in the past, I was really impressed with the quality of the case on the 22 piece brush set. It feels very heavy duty (the first one I bought was super flimsy so I never ended up using it) and the brushes are quite soft.  I'll need to wash and try out a few to compare with the old brushes to see how well they work with makeup, but I'm happy with my first look at them.

One sad thing to note, is that they are phasing out their liquid color correctors as they didn't sell very well.  He believes that they might be more for the professional community and not the public community, so most people aren't even sure how to use them.

They do have new different shaped brushes in development, and since everything is being produced in house (and cruelty free with no animal testing), he is positive his quality will be great!

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One sad thing to note, is that they are phasing out their liquid color correctors as they didn't sell very well.  He believes that they might be more for the professional community and not the public community, so most people aren't even sure how to use them.
I've emailed and complained to them about that. Wish I knew on Friday he was there 'cause I would have told him so to his face. I LOVE their color correctors and he's right it's more of a pro product or makeup hobbiest who knows what they're doing. The only other company that sells something similar sells it for three or four times as much. Bring it back Coastal Scents, BRING IT BACK!!!!

yeah, I specifically asked him about it, because I was interested in them, but he said they didn't even have them at the show.  Online, the white is gone, and the full kit is gone, but it looks like some singles are still up there (under concealer/color corrector).  They were one of the only places I knew of that had a liquid corrector like that.  But most MUA's end up mixing with various shades (the correctors help most for lightest and darkest tones in this case), and I would imagine that 'normal' people would try to keep hunting foundation formulas until they found one that matched their undertones instead of wanting to work on fixing them every time they bought a bottle.

You are right about the 22 pieces Brush set. My bf bought it for Christmas and I was doubtful about the quality since they are so cheap! I finally fell in love with them: easy to use, strong, soft and easy to clean. Even the case is perfect. My friend who is a MUA also bought them after trying them, she loves them even if it's not professionnal.

For the eyeshadows, I ordered the 88 Ultra Shimmer pallet last week. Looking foward to test them. Usually I use a wet brush to apply the color so I don't think I will get annoyed by the fallout that other people are stating in different reviews.

Latest posts

Back