In need of some mineral advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am having some issues finding the right mineral makeup for my skin. I initially started out with BareMinerals, which was great except for the fact that it didn't give me as much coverage as I wanted. I recently ordered some samples from Lumiere, the Veena Velvet, which gives me much more coverage but also seems quite cakey looking in natural light and seems to define any lines or pores that are visible -- almost like a liquid foundation. Any suggestions for a mineral makeup that has decent coverage without being too heavy and cakey? I know Lumiere carries the Flawless line as well, is that worth a try? I have also read good things about Meow. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

One thing to remember is that for the full coverage foundations, you do not need as much as you would BE. I wear Meow Purrfect Puss. I normally use two light layers. When I was sampling Valerie Beauty Cover Deluxe, one layer was all that was needed. Are you moisturizing and using a primer?

Yes and yes on the mosturizing and primer. I have Prime Time from BE that I have been using before applying the foundation. I will try using less tommorrow and see if that makes a difference... I do admit I am guilty of putting way too much on the brush before I buff it on. Bad habit from trying to get more coverage while using the BE! Thanks for the advice!

i apply my makeup using the "swipe then buff" method. which means, i swipe the brush around my face first to deposit most of the mineral makeup the buff. that way i don't have a higher concentration of foundation in the first area i buff vs. the last area i buff.

secondly, are you sure you have the right shade for your skin? sometimes pores and lines are accentuated when the foundation shade is a bit off. try a shade up and a shade down from your current shade to see if it'll help.

I had that same initial problem with BE. I gave up on it and tried many other samples. But, I always come back to BE. Here is my suggestions and how I was able to get more coverage out of BE. The first thing I do is use their maximum concealer brush and load it up with ALOT of foundation. I basically just dip it straight into the foundation and just swirl it in there alittle. I DONT tap off any extra. Then I apply it to where I need more coverage. Yes, it is applied pretty heavily but it will be okay. Then I use my Lumiere Kabuki. Swirl, Tap and Buff! HAHAHA! Then just apply your foundation like normal by buffing it into the skin. It will blend out all the areas that you applied the foundation to with the concealer brush. I would say give it a try. It has really worked for me! Hope this helps and isnt too confusing
smile.gif

So the other morning I tried it again with using not as much product. It definetly wasn't as cakey but it still didn't look very natural. I ordered another sample from Lumiere, in the Flawless formula this time. Figure I will give that a shot. Got the same color because that seems to be spot on. Otherwise I am just going to go back to BE and take BEGirliegirl's advice and just slather it on until I have the coverage I want. Thanks everyone for all the help and cross your fingers and toes for me in hopes that the Flawless works because I am getting frustrated!!

I recently converted to Monave in the regular finish and I apply it wet. It covers everything, but it also is amazing dry. It is not cakey at all and is a nice semi matte finish.

Originally Posted by neverhadwings /img/forum/go_quote.gif Otherwise I am just going to go back to BE and take BEGirliegirl's advice and just slather it on until I have the coverage I want. Thanks everyone for all the help and cross your fingers and toes for me in hopes that the Flawless works because I am getting frustrated!! I hope it works for you like it has me. Like I said, I had the same problem and by doing that trick it has really helped. And it never looks cakey or anything! Good Luck!

i "build" my foundation on my face. same for BE, good but not enough coverage. i also like to swipe first the mineral foundation then buff.

also try to spray some water on your face after you're done, it makes you look less powdery.

BE has a maximum coverage face brush that gives AWESOME coverage. Looks like a big concealer brush.

I love the results I get with that brush. I don't even use my kabuki anymore.

Latest posts

Back