Independent Films?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How does everyone feel about Indie films? Some of my fave movies are independent ones. There were a lot that came out in the theaters in the past couple of months, but it peeves me because they are hardly ever playing in theaters around me. I went onto moviephone.com and the only places they were playing were in NYC and other bigger cities, especially ones in California. Im an hour from the city and with gas prices now, i'll just wait till it comes on video. But this is just a little rant of mine because i feel like the theaters should show more of these indie flicks, because they are some of the best movies.

On another note, i did see Broken Flowers, its an indie film with Bill Murray, thanks to Loews. But i guess people are mainly into bigger Hollywood Hits with more well known actors because me and my best friend were the only ones in the theater. I guess thats why the big theaters don't show em much.

Some indie films that were big excellent and became really popular: Pulp Fiction, Napoleon Dynamite, Poolhall Junkies, The Constant Gardener, Hotel Rwanda, Garden State, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Requiem for a Dream, The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, and many many more.

I love indie films...well, the ones I've seen so far. Napoleon Dynamite is one of my all time faves. I've been dying to see The Constant Gardener too, as I heard it's awesome.

I do wish more theatres would show them, and not just for a short while. The Toronto Film Fest is going on right now, and there are supposedly tons of great indie films showing....Unfortunately, I don't have tickets for any of them
frown.gif

Love indie films: my favorite one right now is "Elephant" dir. by Gus Van Sant. Its a definite 'go see' flick.
biggrin.gif

Garden State was good too!

Originally Posted by nypunkgrl511 How does everyone feel about Indie films? Some of my fave movies are independent ones. There were a lot that came out in the theaters in the past couple of months, but it peeves me because they are hardly ever playing in theaters around me. I went onto moviephone.com and the only places they were playing were in NYC and other bigger cities, especially ones in California. Im an hour from the city and with gas prices now, i'll just wait till it comes on video. But this is just a little rant of mine because i feel like the theaters should show more of these indie flicks, because they are some of the best movies.
On another note, i did see Broken Flowers, its an indie film with Bill Murray, thanks to Loews. But i guess people are mainly into bigger Hollywood Hits with more well known actors because me and my best friend were the only ones in the theater. I guess thats why the big theaters don't show em much.

Some indie films that were big excellent and became really popular: Pulp Fiction, Napoleon Dynamite, Poolhall Junkies, The Constant Gardener, Hotel Rwanda, Garden State, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Requiem for a Dream, The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, and many many more.

I have seen napoleon dynamite and hotel rwanda. I liked both of those films.

I liked the Machinist with Christian Bale. I can't blieve the extremes he went to for his character Trevor Reznik.

I like indie films. Sometimes the blockbuster movies leave me unsatisfied and wanting more. I totally liked: Pulp Fiction, Napoleon Dynamite, The Constant Gardener, Hotel Rwanda, Garden State, Motorcycle Dairies, The Usual Suspects & Fight Club.

Originally Posted by kellianne76 I liked the Machinist with Christian Bale. I can't blieve the extremes he went to for his character Trevor Reznik.
the machinist was so good. (i have loved christian bale since he was in newsies. lol) he played such an awesome character in the machinist...and i cant believe how skinny he got. i heard that they had to work overtime bulking him up for batman. my friend told me supposedly he would only eat like an apple a day and like run forever. totally destroyed his body- he said in an interview that he was ridiculously weak. but what a comeback for batman! he was ripped.

the motorcycle diaries made me cry. i really want to read the book which i shouldve done before i watched the film.

i agree- highly reccomend both of these.

Independent films are usually better, in my opinion. I loved Hotel Rwanda (Don Cheadle is an amazing actor), United States of Leland, Garden State, and probably a bunch more.

I'm in the same boat as you. It's really horrible. I have 4 movie theatres all within 10 - 20 minutes away from me and they ALL play the same things. Once in a blue moon one of them will carry and indy film. Otherwise we either take the train into NYC (45 minutes away), or we rent it, or we just buy the DVD from Amazon.com.

Since I used to work at a theatre I know it's all about the "mainstream" movies and what's going to sell tickets. More people will go see the "blockbusters" than the indies. It's the sad truth.

Latest posts

Back