Indie Polish Lovers

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
126
While I love the big and little mainstream brands, I'm interested in branching out. I know we have some fierce polish lovers and would love some recommendations and thoughts on indie polish companies. :D /emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" />

 
Joined
Oct 26, 2012
Messages
3,927
Reaction score
52
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I love the big and little mainstream brands, I'm interested in branching out. I know we have some fierce polish lovers and would love some recommendations and thoughts on indie polish companies.
I have a couple from KB Shimmer and they are GORGEOUS! :D /emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" /> easy to apply, they don't dry too fast, but they wear well :) /emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

 
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
126
I think I saw them on Etsy. I was just browsing and now I'm O_O wanting to try so many! Lol.

 
Joined
Mar 11, 2013
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Lynnderella makes insannnnne glitters!  But she is a bit pricey.  You can find her on Ebay.  Heres a link to some of her stuff

(Link removed, please read the Terms of Service.)

 
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
126
I will never buy Lynderella. After reading all those ridiculous stories and her outrageous prices, I'll pass and give my money to someone who isn't scamming consumers.

 
Joined
Mar 8, 2012
Messages
2,328
Reaction score
102
Oh, MissLindaJean, your wallet is going to cry. I literally am obsessive/compulsive, so bear with me here:

For glitters, I love Hit Polish. Colores de Carol is a newer one with a variety; she's not on Etsy, though, I think she's on bigcartel. Neener Neener Nails has fun stuff and often has great sales. (See my blog for my favorite by them.) I haven't tried them yet, but I lust for Jindie Nails, Nerdlacquer, KBShimmer. Jade is apparently great for holographic polish. 

In addition to Etsy, you might want to check out Ninja Polish and Llarowe for online shops. There's also Overall Beauty, Mei Mei's Signatures, Shoppe Eclecticco. The big advantage to those is that you can order several different brands, but only pay shipping once. On Etsy, you have to pay shipping per store.

Oh, I love everything I've seen by Emily de Molly; her stuff is available to the U.S. on Llarowe. I only have one of hers: Regal Beginnings. Femme Fatale and Gloss 'n' Sparkle are really pretty on Llarowe, too.

Whimsical Ideas by Pam has gorgeous stuff; you can see what's available on her Facebook page, and order through her e-mail, and then she invoices you, I think through PayPal. 

If you have a lot of polish, I love that you can by mini bottles from most of the indies. (I don't know about you, but the odds of me using up a full size bottle are pretty slim.) And, then of course, that means you can afford to try more polishes. 

Believe it or not, that was my short list. 

 
Joined
Mar 8, 2012
Messages
2,328
Reaction score
102
Also, Hare Polish and Smitten Polish! Both are available from shop.llarowe.com. I haven't tried them personally, just drooled over lots of photos.

 
Joined
Oct 26, 2012
Messages
3,927
Reaction score
52
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will never buy Lynderella. After reading all those ridiculous stories and her outrageous prices, I'll pass and give my money to someone who isn't scamming consumers.
What stories? O.O 

 
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
126
Having family members drive up bids for sales, not to mention her starting prices are silly. There are enough indie companies that are affordable and don't have silly stories, rumors and gossip surrounding them. There is a thread around here somewhere about it. . Can't post the link from my phone. .argh.

 

meaganola

Uh Huh Her
Joined
Jan 15, 2012
Messages
8,318
Reaction score
5,202
Location
Portland, OR
I don't know if you consider this to be indie, but one of my absolute favorite companies is a-england. Ninja Polish in the US sells it, but they also have their own site you can order from directly (they're in England, but my orders tend to get here in under two weeks). The holos are *gorgeous*. I need to scrape up some money and get some of the non-Arthurian stuff.

 
Joined
Oct 26, 2012
Messages
3,927
Reaction score
52
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having family members drive up bids for sales, not to mention her starting prices are silly. There are enough indie companies that are affordable and don't have silly stories, rumors and gossip surrounding them. There is a thread around here somewhere about it. . Can't post the link from my phone. .argh.
Don't worry I know how to use the search option and found the thread and omg wow O.O crazy stuff :S

 
Joined
Mar 8, 2012
Messages
2,328
Reaction score
102
Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if you consider this to be indie, but one of my absolute favorite companies is a-england. Ninja Polish in the US sells it, but they also have their own site you can order from directly (they're in England, but my orders tend to get here in under two weeks). The holos are *gorgeous*. I need to scrape up some money and get some of the non-Arthurian stuff.
A-England has gorgeous polish. I read that they can't ship direct from England anymore because of new postal laws there.

 
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
126
A-England has gorgeous polish. I read that they can't ship direct from England anymore because of new postal laws there.
Lame! Lol, I have heard if that company. ..soo many gorgeous colors and companies, but I don't have enough fingers and toes!
 

JC327

Jay
Joined
Nov 24, 2012
Messages
13,157
Reaction score
1,176
The only indie polish I've tried is 365 days of color I got the Valentines day mystery bag and just ordered the Easter mystery bags. Her polishes are beautiful and Sunny is really nice.

 
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
438
Reaction score
6
I am an indie polish addict, I hardly ever buy "mainstream" polish anymore.  My most recent purchases were Girly Bits Eggnogoholic, Candeo Joker, Candeo Snowbird, Darling Diva Destiny, Darling Diva Oh No She Didn't, Pretty & Polishes Space Camp, Smitten I Want It Now....whew!!  Wallet needs to take a rest for a while!

My absolute favorites are Whimsical Polish by Pam and D&R Apothecary (on Etsy).  I would buy every single polish Pam makes if I had the chance.  She is a really sweet lady as well!  The D&R polishes are beautiful and I just love the combinations she uses for glitters.  This is another one that I would buy every single one if I had a chance.  This is a D&R polish "Painted Desert" with Deborah Lippman Nude.  



 
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
I guess indie means different things to different people but if I like the polish I'll buy it. I think most people view an "indie" polish as still being handmade/mixed by the seller & that person doing most of the promoting, bottling, shipping & etc. The newest term "boutique" is sorta be used to describe makers that still "create" the name/color but is maybe mixed/manufactured by a lab (example Cult Nails).

Some of my indie faves are Cult Nails ( I love Maria), Elixir Lacquers (a hometown GA girl), Nerd Lacquer (some drama was associated with her but I think she's well back on her way. If her most recent sales are any indication Amanda will be just fine). Different Dimension, Glitzology, Candeo Colors and just recently I've fallen in love with Femme Fatale but they are only available through a US Stockist unless you live or know someone in Australia.

I was one of those people that thought anyone that bought Lynns was CRAZY but I have over 600 bottles of polish so who am I to talk...or judge. Curiosity got the best of me & I was lucky enough to find a BN Lynn for about $15. I got it & not in love with it (it's not a glitter bomb). Lynn wouldn't be able to have the following & the customers she does unless people were buying it. It hasn't been a one time collection or a sale she's having (does she even have sales?) but people like the products AND the service she provides. More power to her I guess.

If you want swatches of some of the companies I've listed let me know...otherwise "Happy Shopping!"

 
Joined
Oct 26, 2012
Messages
3,927
Reaction score
52
Originally Posted by LyndaV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am an indie polish addict, I hardly ever buy "mainstream" polish anymore.  My most recent purchases were Girly Bits Eggnogoholic, Candeo Joker, Candeo Snowbird, Darling Diva Destiny, Darling Diva Oh No She Didn't, Pretty & Polishes Space Camp, Smitten I Want It Now....whew!!  Wallet needs to take a rest for a while!

My absolute favorites are Whimsical Polish by Pam and D&R Apothecary (on Etsy).  I would buy every single polish Pam makes if I had the chance.  She is a really sweet lady as well!  The D&R polishes are beautiful and I just love the combinations she uses for glitters.  This is another one that I would buy every single one if I had a chance.  This is a D&R polish "Painted Desert" with Deborah Lippman Nude.  

OMG Candeo Snowbird Is AMAZING!and Darling Diva Destiny OMG and Smitten I Want It Now

 
Joined
Mar 12, 2013
Messages
32
Reaction score
1
So cool! I would have never thought to even try out a lesser known brand. I stay pretty brand loyal (just because quality is fairly hard to come by with nail polish). Always good to get word-of-mouth product reviews! Thanks for the recommendations ladies, I am going to try out Colores de Carol - very, very pretty. 

 
Joined
Mar 8, 2012
Messages
2,328
Reaction score
102
Originally Posted by DivyFace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So cool! I would have never thought to even try out a lesser known brand. I stay pretty brand loyal (just because quality is fairly hard to come by with nail polish). Always good to get word-of-mouth product reviews! Thanks for the recommendations ladies, I am going to try out Colores de Carol - very, very pretty. 
She's a really nice lady. I haven't tried the polish yet, but I have two by her.

 
Top