Inexpensive Beauty Products That Get the Job Done

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Inexpensive Beauty Products That Get the Job Done!

<!--BEGIN RIGHT-ALIGNED TABLE--><!--END RIGHT-ALIGNED TABLE--><!--BSHSTARTBODY-->By Lisa Kovalovich

More magazine

Attention all beauty junkies! You've got favorite high-end beauty products, right? Products you'd shell out your last few dollars for? Well, you don't have to spend your last dime on them anymore, since we've found budget versions that are just as fabulous as their big-bucks cousins! Here, our favorite inexpensive picks: Big Bucks: Nars Lip Gloss in Orgasm ($20)

Budget: Almay Whipped Gloss in Nude Reflection ($6.99)

Both glosses are sheer, nude shades with a hint of shimmer. Bonus: Almay's has a minty smell that wakes you up!

Big Bucks: Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler ($16.50)

Budget: Revlon Eyelash Curler ($5.25)

Both work the same way to curl and lift lashes, making eyes look wider and brighter.

Big Bucks: L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream ($23)

Budget: de-luxe Shea Butter Hand Cream ($8.99)

With rich shea butter as the main ingredient, these creams soothe ultra-dry, chapped hands and cuticles. What's more, de-luxe is about one-third the price!

Big Bucks: Terax Original Crema

Budget: Pantene Deep Moisturizing Treatment ($7.49)

Their thick, moisturizing textures and hair-friendly ingredients give sleekness, silkiness and cut down on frizz.

Big Bucks: Philosophy Microdelivery Peel ($60)

Budget: Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Facial Peel (about $24)

Gorgeous skin requires exfoliation, and both of these products do it effectively and gently.

Big Bucks: Bliss Labs Ingrown Hair Eliminating Pads ($35)

Budget: Tend Skin ($20)

These astringent formulas help prevent ingrown hairs on particularly prone areas such as underarms and bikini line. The difference: With Tend Skin, you add your own cotton pad.

Big Bucks: Frederic Fekkai Glossing Cream ($18)

Budget: Alberto VO5 Sheer Hairdressing (5.99)

These leave-in conditioners work to nix frizz and give instant shine. Tip: Use on dry hair to combat midday fuzzies!

Big Bucks: Dr. Hauschka Neem Nail Oil Pen ($15.50)

Budget: Profile Cuticle Softening Pen (about $7)

Soften cuticles and keep hangnails out of sight with a handy cuticle oil dispensing pen. Big Bucks: Lancome Amplicils Mascara ($21.50)

Budget: Maybelline Full 'N Soft Mascara (about $8)

Both formulas plump up lash volume, making them look thicker and more lush. <!--BSHENDBODY--><!--END CONTENT-->

Woohoo, that's the kind of article poor college students like me want to read!
wink.gif

I'll have to check out that Almay lipgloss since I keep hearing good things about Nars Orgasm!

Awesome post Diane. I think many of us too often don't make a huge effort to find affordable look-alikes. I've overcame over my "high-end only" obsession years ago & am always on the hunt for quality alternatives. There are some products I won't scrimp on like skin care, foundation & brushes, but otherwise, my stash is ALL over the place.
wink.gif

I always love a good cheap look-alike... will have to check out that Almay lipgloss too! Great article Diane... love it!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

hello ladies,

I would like to add some more budget versions to the list:

Big Bucks: Biotherm Aquasource

Budget: L'oreal Hidrafresh

Big Bucks: Lancôme Vinefit

Budget: L'oreal Futur-e

Big Bucks
biggrin.gif
ior Diorshow mascara

Budget: L'oreal Volumissime x4

Big Bucks:Bourjois Coup de Theatre

Budget: L'oreal Double Extension

Big Bucks:Mac OH BABY

Budget: Bourjois Gloss Effect 3D No 77

Big Bucks:Lancôme Juicy tubes

Budget: Zara gloss

Big Bucks:Mac spice pencil

Budget: Maybelline Brun Noisette pencil

Big Bucks:Bobbie Brown beige gold lipstick

Budget: L'oreal Hip Honey lipstick

Big Bucks:chanel rouge noir

Budget: bourjois Cerise Noir

Big Bucks:YSL touche eclat

Budget: The Body Shop lightening touch

Big Bucks:Estee Lauder Double Wear

Budget: L'oreal Double Wear

Hope you enjoy them!

Welcome to MakeUpTalk Anitars! I'm Laura from Ireland. Thanks a million for listing some budget versions of high end products for us! If you need anything just PM me or one of the other moderators & we'll gladly help you out. Look forward to chatting with you
biggrin.gif

Welcome to MakeupTalk!

Originally Posted by anitars

hello ladies,I would like to add some more budget versions to the list:

Big Bucks: Biotherm Aquasource

Budget: L'oreal Hidrafresh

Big Bucks: Lancôme Vinefit

Budget: L'oreal Futur-e

Big Bucks
biggrin.gif
ior Diorshow mascara

Budget: L'oreal Volumissime x4

Big Bucks:Bourjois Coup de Theatre

Budget: L'oreal Double Extension

Big Bucks:Mac OH BABY

Budget: Bourjois Gloss Effect 3D No 77

Big Bucks:Lancôme Juicy tubes

Budget: Zara gloss

Big Bucks:Mac spice pencil

Budget: Maybelline Brun Noisette pencil

Big Bucks:Bobbie Brown beige gold lipstick

Budget: L'oreal Hip Honey lipstick

Big Bucks:chanel rouge noir

Budget: bourjois Cerise Noir

Big Bucks:YSL touche eclat

Budget: The Body Shop lightening touch

Big Bucks:Estee Lauder Double Wear

Budget: L'oreal Double Wear

Hope you enjoy them!

Thanks Diane! I wanted to find an alternative to Nars Orgasm l/g. It's expensive, soon-to-be discontinued and a little to chunky for my taste, so I'll have to try Almay out!

Thanks for adding more budget buys Anitars! Welcome to MakeupTalk! (I'm Janelle from NY by the way... nice to meet you!)
icon_cheesygrin.gif

It's very true about the Terax conditioner VS. Pantene. I used Terax for years, it's about 30-40 dollars for the jar that lasts about a month for me. When I wasn't working, I went out and bought the thick conditioner that Pantene makes in the tube (deep condish for color treated) and it's actually better! I am pretty happy with my new drugstore find!

Originally Posted by Scarlette It's very true about the Terax conditioner VS. Pantene. I used Terax for years, it's about 30-40 dollars for the jar that lasts about a month for me. When I wasn't working, I went out and bought the thick conditioner that Pantene makes in the tube (deep condish for color treated) and it's actually better! I am pretty happy with my new drugstore find! I love when that happens!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
And you'd be surprised how many high ends brands actually are from the same companies that make low-end stuff...
redface.gif

Hi girls, I'm glad you all enjoyed the article and I'll keep my eye out for more.
wink.gif

I use to only buy high end products because I thought they were better. Then I read Paula Begouns book "The Beauty Bible" and her articles online (cosmeticcop.com). WOW..that was an eye opener. She really breaks it all down. You can tell her what product you love but can't afford and she will tell the alternative. She does comparisons & reviews in her monthly newsletter. You can subscribe to it for free and/or read her reviews on her web site.

The only products I tend to spend more money on now is (mineral) foundation and skin care.

Bumping this thread up to add that Prestige makes a near exact match for the Orgasm gloss - same thickness and stickiness and same color, at least on me. It's called Alloy, and it looks really frosty gold-pink in the tube, but turns the same shade as the Orgasm gloss on my lips, and is really thick and sticky just like the NARS.

The only downside is the smell: it smells like baby powder, which isn't the most pleasant thing on one's lips. If you can tolerate it, though, or try not to smell it much til the scent fades, it looks and wears the same as the O gloss.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back