INSIDE EDITION Investigates Counterfeit Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetchick

Beauty Blogger
Reaction score
Designer makeup doesn't come cheap, and it's only available at leading department stores, or boutiques. It's a luxury many women just can't afford.

So, how was INSIDE EDITION able to purchase what looked like brand-name products for only $10?

We bought it from a guy on the street. INSIDE EDITION's undercover cameras found he and other vendors selling what looked like the hottest makeup trends.

"This is Lady Gaga mascara and eye liner," one vendor said to our undercover producer, showing her what appeared to be some M·A·C Cosmetics.

"Oh, wow. How much is this?" Our producer asked the vendor.

"Ten," he said.

That price is just a fraction of what you'd pay at a department store. M·A·C eye shadow can cost $200. But, on the street, we bought it for only $10.

"Basically, we're getting the surplus [makeup]," another vendor told our undercover producer.

The vendors assured us that the makeup was the real deal.

"Is it real?" INSIDE EDITION asked one of the vendors?

"Yeah," replied the vendor.

But, we know something most shoppers do not.

The makeup they sold to INSIDE EDITION is counterfeit and potentially dangerous.

When you buy your makeup from a department store, you can trust the products are legitimate, and more importantly – safe to use on your skin.

But, we've learned that the cheap counterfeits can contain harmful ingredients that may put you at risk for serious infection, even permanent scarring.

On the surface, the packaging for the counterfeit M·A·C, Lancôme and Chanel products appeared to be identical. So, you would think that it was the real thing.

But, what's really in the counterfeit makeup? To find out, INSIDE EDITION had it tested at Upstate Labs near Syracuse, New York.

The results were frightening. Tests found high levels of aluminum, which has been linked to Alzheimer's disease. Five of the counterfeit products tested positive for the metal Beryllium, a known carcinogen. What was more concerning; there were dangerously high levels of lead in seven of the counterfeit products, including two bogus M·A·C eye shadows.

A counterfeit Chanel eye shadow turned out to be loaded with potentially dangerous bacteria.

"The amount of bacteria you found in this counterfeit makeup was disgusting," Dermatologist Dr. Robert Buka told INSIDE EDITION.

He said fake makeup can lead to infections, burning and disfigurement.

Dr. Buka said one of his patients developed an infection after using a counterfeit M·A·C product, leaving her scarred for life.

"I see about two to three cases of counterfeit makeup dermatitis in my practice every month," he said.

INSIDE EDITION's Deborah Norville went back to that vendor who sold us the counterfeit makeup.

"Did you know you were selling counterfeit makeup?" Norville asked the makeup vendor.

"Not at the moment." He said. "I know now."

"A number of the makeup items you were selling were contaminated with lead," Norville told the vendor. "Were you aware of that?"

"I am now." He responded.

"Does that concern you?" Norville asked him.

"Yes, it does." The vendor admitted.

He became a little more defensive when Norville questioned him more about the counterfeit products he was selling.

"Why are you questioning me on everything?" The vendor asked irately.

"Why am I questioning you?" Norville replied. "Because you're out here selling this stuff, people are going to buy it, they assume it's safe. And, we found it's not safe."

"Are you going to keep selling the counterfeit makeup?" Norville asked.

"Maybe, maybe not," the makeup vendor replied.

The manufacturers of the legitimate makeup confirmed to us the products INSIDE EDITION bought are counterfeit, adding their cosmetics would never be sold on the street.

Source

I got some fake MAC in a trade. I'm not going to use it, but I am planning to hang onto it just for future reference and so I have some actual examples of fakes that I can show people if need be. The fact that I have no idea what goes into these products, where they were made, how safe/sanitary they are is why I won't put them on my face. Plus, sales of these fakes can be used to fund things like child slavery, drug cartels, terrorism, etc. 

Thanks for posting this story, I think it's definitely something people need to know about. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got some fake MAC in a trade. I'm not going to use it, but I am planning to hang onto it just for future reference and so I have some actual examples of fakes that I can show people if need be. The fact that I have no idea what goes into these products, where they were made, how safe/sanitary they are is why I won't put them on my face. Plus, sales of these fakes can be used to fund things like child slavery, drug cartels, terrorism, etc. 

Thanks for posting this story, I think it's definitely something people need to know about. 

This!!! Unfortunately I think a lot of people see buying fakes as bargain shopping, and don't think about or know about what is behind them.

Even in real makeup products, you can find bacteria. Maybe not in those kind of amounts, but we all know why we're encouraged to use cleansers for our tools and products. That's why it is important to toss old makeup and sanitize stuff. 

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This!!! Unfortunately I think a lot of people see buying fakes as bargain shopping, and don't think about or know about what is behind them.
Agreed!! Obviously fake make up is dangerous health wise, but fakes of all products have a lot of backlash most people don't know about. 

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even in real makeup products, you can find bacteria. Maybe not in those kind of amounts, but we all know why we're encouraged to use cleansers for our tools and products. That's why it is important to toss old makeup and sanitize stuff. 
You can get rid of bacteria, but you can't get rid of lead and carcinogens 

Originally Posted by BrittneyMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can get rid of bacteria, but you can't get rid of lead and carcinogens 
I don't disagree with that and it is cruddy to be duped into buying stuff like that, which I have been. What's the saying...buyer beware?

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly! Also, I think a part of it is people want to have something that says MAC, or NARS, or Chanel, or whatever on it. They want to have something that has a prestigious name on it, not caring what's inside. Not saying that everyone that buys fakes has this mentality, but I'm sure some do. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly! Also, I think a part of it is people want to have something that says MAC, or NARS, or Chanel, or whatever on it. They want to have something that has a prestigious name on it, not caring what's inside. Not saying that everyone that buys fakes has this mentality, but I'm sure some do. 
For sure, I think that is why fake purses and sunglasses are so popular. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For sure, I think that is why fake purses and sunglasses are so popular. 
I would agree that it's a huge reason why certain brands are more popular and also ridiculously more expensive. Of course, you are paying for labels and I do believe a lot of people feel that way. Especially when you apply it to some of those beauty/fashion junkies who say they would never be caught dead using drugstore/mid dept store items lol. I know people who can't afford to pay their bills, but you better believe they drive a "fancy car with shiny wheels" and sport some hot designer shoes/purses. Status symbols is all it is; while I love certain brands and stuff, I'm not always going to purchase just because it reads high end. I find myself going back to drug store staples on a few items. I like to mix it up; nothing wrong with that.

And this is EXACTLY why I say "never buy counterfeit cosmetics, when there are nine zillion drugstore dupes" Yes, there are specific products that aren't duped, but if those are the ONLY prestige items you buy and you drugstore the others, you'll STILL come out better, financially, than buying counterfeit. Plus, you're not a poseur!

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And this is EXACTLY why I say "never buy counterfeit cosmetics, when there are nine zillion drugstore dupes" Yes, there are specific products that aren't duped, but if those are the ONLY prestige items you buy and you drugstore the others, you'll STILL come out better, financially, than buying counterfeit. Plus, you're not a poseur!
Agreed, besides alot of these large "designer" makeup companies make lower end drug store brands. Sometimes, the products work just as well, if not better. While I get that there are tons of high end companies who live up to the hype, I definitely know that exclusivity/specific brand name and line is not going to transform me into Angelina Jolie or Charlize Theron..lol..

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed, besides alot of these large "designer" makeup companies make lower end drug store brands. Sometimes, the products work just as well, if not better. While I get that there are tons of high end companies who live up to the hype, I definitely know that exclusivity/specific brand name and line is not going to transform me into Angelina Jolie or Charlize Theron..lol..
Yup. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS follow the "chain of ownership" and you'll be surprised at the deals you can get (formulation-wise)

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS follow the "chain of ownership" and you'll be surprised at the deals you can get (formulation-wise)
More like shrub of ownership.

You're still overpaying...Not sure where you're shopping... MAC is $11.50 for a Pro Pan or $15 for the pot and all. The only products that are $20-25 would be the large baked products and foundations...

Originally Posted by elizabethhaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"That price is just a fraction of what you'd pay at a department store. M·A·C eye shadow can cost $200. But, on the street, we bought it for only $10"

Ive never bought an eyeshadow for 200 at mac haha theyre usually 20 or 25 haha, 10 really isnt that much cheaper.. its cheaper to buy something from mac rather than guess.

Originally Posted by Jennifer Nall /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're still overpaying...Not sure where you're shopping... MAC is $11.50 for a Pro Pan or $15 for the pot and all. The only products that are $20-25 would be the large baked products and foundations...
She's in Canada. MAC costs more in other countries.

Latest posts

Back