Insomnia

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't sleep!!!! Hence, I'm writing this at 3 in the morning. Does anyone have suggestions to stop my insomnia?
icon_evil.gif

Read... good book, boring book, it doesn't really matter.... as soon as you get to a decent part, you'll feel all sleepy and whatnot...
icon_wink.gif

I'm sorry to hear you're having insomnia! I have really bad chronic insomnia (which I'm starting to suspect is caused by anxiety), and I've probably tried about everything. OTC sleeping pills make me feel icky, but they do work. I prefer to use something gentler like valerian or melatonin. Journaling or meditating before bed can help slow your mind down so you can relax. Don't eat late, I avoid eating four hours before bed. Make sure your bedroom is very dark and quiet. Pull curtains over the windows, close the door to block out light from another part of the house. If you absolutely can't get to sleep get out of bed and so something else. Read, draw, listen to music, something relaxing. TV and the internet are too stimulating for me when I'm having a bad night.

The only thing that has given me long term relief from insomnia is acupuncture. If you have chronic insomnia see a doctor or someone to get it checked out!!

I feel ya on that one. When the weather gets really hot, I can't sleep. It sucks because I am dragging the next day at work. I found some info that ma help.

1. Get out of bed if you can't sleep. Lying in bed sleepless will only make you more stressed.

2. Read or perform a light chore until you feel sleepy. Then try to go back to sleep - or, if you're feeling stressed or agitated, try some relaxation techniques.

3. Relax by listening to soft music or a meditation tape. Do yoga or gentle stretching.

4. Take a hot bath with aromatherapy soaps. Keep the lights dim. Bright light will make you more alert.

5. Try an herbal sleep remedy to induce sleepiness. Valerian, chamomile, catnip, lavender, lime flower, passion flower, hops or skullcap can be taken in tea or capsule form.

6. Snack on foods high in tryptophan, an amino acid that can help you relax. These include turkey, bananas, figs, dates, milk and tuna.

7. Essential oils can also help you relax. Add six to eight drops of lavender or marjoram to a bath, or put four drops of oil on your pillow.

8. Return to bed once you're feeling sleepy and relaxed.

Thank for the input you guys. i will try these tips. i just graduated college a month ago, and that's when my insomnia hit me. i feel stressed out (why, i do not know) and can't go to sleep till 3, 4, 5, and sometimes 6!!!! I am such a spaz, i wait till the time of my life where i should be the most care free, and instead i'm the opposite. also, i have irrational fears like something bad is going to happen lately. i swear i'm not crazy, just stressin out.

That's what my mom said. i honestly don't know. i do know that i have been a server for way to long, and i want to quit this second!

Originally Posted by Charmaine Maybe it's the pressure of finding a job that's causing you to lie awake at night?

I don't think I could help on this one.

Because, I couldn't even solve my insomnia issue. I tried many tips and tricks to get me fall asleep.

But, I end up taking pills prescription from my doctor.

Herbal tea, milk, classical music, hot tub doesn't help me.

I'm going to start practicing for yoga emotional, I bought the book few weeks ago and I can't believe am too lazy to open the book lol.

One thing I should remind myself though, is not to go online after 10pm and use my bed only for sleep.

Sometimes I found myself still wide awake even after I took the sleeping pill!

Hey guys, I'm new here but wanted to add my 2 cents. I found that if I work out right before bed then its hard for me to sleep. Also, I would highly recommend an herbal remedy like Melatonin. Maybe it's all in my head but I swear, if I take this before bed then I sleep great! Good luck!

Originally Posted by jennyb what's melatonin?
Melatonin is a hormone produced in the pineal gland, a small gland in the brain, that helps regulate sleep and wake cycles. Very small amounts of melatonin are found in foods such as meats, grains, fruits, and vegetables. It is also available as a dietary supplement, though it has no known nutritional value.

What does natural melatonin do in the body?

Your body has its own internal clock that helps regulate your natural cycle of sleeping and waking hours (or circadian rhythm) in part by controlling the production of melatonin. Normally, melatonin levels begin to rise in the mid- to late evening, remain high for most of the night, and then decline in the early morning hours.

Natural melatonin production is partly affected by light. During the shorter days of the winter months, melatonin production may start earlier or, more often, later. This change can lead to symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), or winter depression.<sup class="Reference">1</sup>

Natural melatonin levels decline gradually with age. Some older adults produce very small amounts of melatonin or none at all.

thanks Marisol. I'm telling you, Melatonin is worth a try. It works well on me...and my dad swears by it too
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back