Is it my application, or should I try a different brand?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered the sample kit from EDM, and thus far I'm averagely satisfied, if that makes sense. Granted, I'm still getting the feel for various application techniques and so forth.

However, I've finally purchased some Monistat for a primer (yay for the cheap yet efficient MU users!), which I have yet to try. I have had a good run doing a basic wash, tone, moisturize, then applying the concealer and foundation run, and the MMU has been lasting slightly longer than it used to. It's now lasting me a good 6 hours before I start to see it fading away--I'm hoping the Monistat primer will improve the staying power.

Anyway, I love the coverage, though I find that if I look closely in the mirror at my reflection (about 2 ft. between myself and the actual reflection), that I can see the 'powder' on my face. I mean, I can see the 'chalky' texture on my face. Now, to be within two feet of my face, we would need to be getting up close and personal, but still this upsets me--I was hoping for a more natural look, even from 2 feet away! Is this even possible? When I stand back an average distance from the mirror, my skin looks GREAT. When I get closer, I can see the chalky texture.

Is it possible that this is my application technique? Am I applying too heavily? I generally keep applying until I'm satisfied with any hidden redness and blemishes, though since I layer a few times, I think I'm drawing attention to the powder texture of the MMU. However, if I layer any less, I'm not satisfied with the coverage.

Do you think this means I should try a different brand? Should I get a heavier coverage mineral foundation so that I can get the same coverage with less layers? Is it simply my application technique? Any other brand suggestions based on this information?

try applying your mmu wet, or spritz some fix+ after you done applying your mmu - it'll instantly get rid of the chalky look and make your skin looks dewy.
smile.gif

Excuse my stupidity, but when you say apply it 'wet,' are we just speaking of dampening my powder brush, or should I wet a wedge sponge, etc. This whole MMU is new to me, as if you couldn't tell.
kopfkratz.gif

mandilly - i actually don't like edm at all - i would try a different brand. i love milan minerals now....i used to use youngblood but milan has awesome coverage and is milled nicely!!! i recently tried signature, edm, bare faced minerals (also very good), lumiere (also good), alima, aromaleigh, etc....but now milan is my favorite! it also may be that i got a great color match with them - i am indian (south east asian) with very yellow/golden undertones and it is very hard to find a match...

as for your application technique, it may be that you have too much powder on your brush. as others have said, less is more. i wrote this on another of your posts, but i love the wet application method. what i do is swirl my brush in minerals (but not too much), spritz the brush and apply on my skin with a flat top brush. it really works well for me. i used to use only the dry application method but this is much better and now it lasts longer!!!

I used to use BE and switched to EDM. The price was much nicer and I saw so many great after pics on this site that I had to give it a shot. I aply it wet like the tut that Thais made and I also apply it with some moisturiser. Both work great and do not leave me looking chalky.

Dreamsonia - Yes, you did mention trying a wet application, and I've been planning on doing that the next time I apply MMU (I don't apply makeup if I'm just lounging around the house). Well, EDM was the first brand I tried, and I'm completely happy with the color match. I'm just unhappy with the chalkiness. I did place sample orders to both Lumiere and Monave. Once I've tried those two, if I'm still not happy I plan to try other brands, so I'll definitely have to add Milan to that list. I've heard of many people trying Youngblood and being satisfied at first, though those with Youngblood always seems to switch and find another brand they like more.

Bexy - I've been applying it with tinted moisturizer, since that's the only moisturizer I have ATM. I really need to purchase some more face moisturizer. I've heard a lot of people loving the wet application technique. Someone mentioned to me to use distilled water to spritz on my kabuki/flat top, so that will be my next step before buying something pricey like a Fix+ or Rose Water.

Spritzing definitely helps, but I remember one girl doing a swatch (I can't find it, I'm sorry) of three different MMUs on her arm really strongly, and with the EDM, it was the worst-milled of the lot - it really did look chalky with a bit of pigment added in.

I hope you find a foundation that suits soon. That's always the hardest thing in MMU. Some people get lucky first time out; it took me nine months to stumble across Lumiere (fave formulas are Cashmere and Flawless).

Good luck! I've heard great things about Monave, too - it's supposed to give quite heavy coverage if that's what you're looking for. Lumiere I'd say is more medium-coverage, but a completely different texture to EDM.

Back