Itchy skin!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have combination, sensitive skin that is sometimes breakout-prone. Lately, i've noticed my face itches on and off, especially where i get acne. It's usually bearable, but it worries me a little bit.

Today, the skin between my breasts us UNBEARABLY itchy. what am i doing wrong? is it sunburn? (i was barely outside today or yesterday). Is my facewash too strong? (it's clinique step one and says its really gentle). I'm confused!!

gruebel.gif

make sure your not just washing your face,

use all three steps of clinique's face wash.

i feel step 3's lotion is the most important

because it restores some natural oils.

if it continues, i deffinetly suggest going

to the doctor. or heading to clinique so

they can test you skin to make sure your

still using the right product.

hope it gets better! take care.

I do use all three steps, and i love the lotion. i don't always use it on my chest though, which might be the problem. idk...all i know is it itches like hell right now
frown.gif

My skin itches by my acne. I just have really sensitive skin. I am going to mention it to my derm next time I go but I don't think there is much to be done. The skin on your body is probably just really dry. Use an unscented moisturizer twice a day and see if it helps.

I would try a body moisturizer such as Eucerin (you can get this at Walmart & Target), and stay away from products with fragrance that may irritate your skin.

Try a moisturizer with oatmeal. Sounds like your skin is really dry and oatmeal is great for sensitive skin. I know Aveeno makes one.

Originally Posted by Kathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Try a moisturizer with oatmeal. Sounds like your skin is really dry and oatmeal is great for sensitive skin. I know Aveeno makes one. I agree. Palmers Cocoa Butter is good for dry skin too.

CeraVe moisturizer works well for me in the winter. I buy it at CVS-Walmart doesn't carry it.

Oatmeal?! interesting...can i just like make some oatmeal and slap it on my face??

(that sounds like a lot of fun, actually)

Originally Posted by Pomander_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oatmeal?! interesting...can i just like make some oatmeal and slap it on my face??(that sounds like a lot of fun, actually)

LOL!! Sure! Don't see why not! There is a bath soak too that I'll bet would help the rest of your body. Or just put some in your bath!

Originally Posted by Kathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Try a moisturizer with oatmeal. Sounds like your skin is really dry and oatmeal is great for sensitive skin. I know Aveeno makes one. and it's the best!! Works on any type of itch!!

Aveeno makes a body lotion with oatmeal... Curel is also very good too IMHO.

To be honest, you sound like you are having an allergic reaction (dermatitis). The best option would be to see a doctor OR try an over the counter anti-histamine like Claritin. DON'T slather yourself with even more products that you might react to! Your best bet would be to take a break from your 3step face wash and stop using any other irritating products on your chest area for a week and see if things improve. The mild cleanser is made with sodium laureth sulfate which can really dry out sensitive skin and mess with your pH. If you insist on using it (which I wouldn't recommend, but I understand not wanting to waste money!), make sure to follow up with a toner that will help restore the correct pH level of your skin. Apple cider vinegar diluted in water would be a great option, or any distillate of witch hazel (make sure the ingredients include at least 80% witch hazel). The clinique toner I have in my house (my roommate's) lists alcohol as an ingredient which would likely irritate your skin type. Just a thought!

Good luck
laughing.gif

^Thank you very much ounces (and i adore your guinea pig btw), that was very helpful and informative! Good call on the sodium laureth sulfate, i've heard that it's harmful but it never occured to me that it would be in my facewash. I have the clinique step 2 toner, but that makes my face even MORE red and stingy, probably because of the alcohol. I feel bad because I have this huge bottle of it that I can't use... oh well, i'll find some use for it.

I think I might switch to a gentler, all natural tea tree oil facewash I have but continue to use the Clinique step 3 moisturizer (anything bad in that???) I'll let you know how it goes... again, thanks a million!

I think i'll also try oatmeal because my skin needs all the moisture it can get. Here's a stupid question: do you cook the oatmeal or put it on dry, or just soak it in water...???

I'd have to see a list of ingredients, I don't have a bottle handy. I would guess that the lotion is the most gentle of the 3 steps but you never know! Glad to be of help
smile.gif

I've got eczema, too. When you say acne, do you tend to get red, roundish circles? I don't get acne, but I get the red round circles, and if my skin is really irritated, they get bumps in them - and itch like crazy.

Definitely ditch anything with SLS in it, and watch out for DEA and TEA in ingredient lists as well - those can be right nasties if you have sensitive skin.

I'd go for something like Jen's Green Tea Shea cleanser at GardenofWisdom.com or the Facial Cleansing Milk from Sarafina.biz, or one of the soap bars from Woodwize.com - minimal ingredients - and cheap. Also check your shampoo if you're getting flakies around your hairline.

For moisturiser, probably something like emu oil or shea butter - those are both good for dry skin and eczema - the fewer ingredients you're dealing with, the easier it is to spot anything that's upsetting your skin.

Good luck!

Another vote for palmers...sometimes your skin can grow to be allergic to a product despite using it previously. Perhaps experiment with new products and hopefully that'll help.

Latest posts

Back