JC Penney Expansion...like, love or hate?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
JC Penney has been undergoing a lot of construction and change lately. They are trying to change the feel of a large department store into more of a store with boutiques within it's walls. Collaborations with known designers/labels like Joe Fresh, Marchesa, Betsy Johnson, Nanette Lepore(L'Amour, a juniors line she's designing for JCP) will be added to the racks along side Nicole by Nicole Miller, MNG by Mango and I HEART Ronson.

Part of this revamp is due to the fact that JCP lost close to 200 million dollars over the first quarter of 2012. Their Sephora in JCP's were very successful and the company is hoping to recreate that across the board with the revamp. The pricing system has changed as well, with prices being at their rock bottom and no more cents attached to the prices. Promos are run over the course of a month, with the first and third Fridays hosting specials and additional markdowns.

Do you like the expansion and changes? Sound off! 

I love it, I am in JCP at least once a week and have been watching it transform.The one thing that has been weird for me is having to go from the woman's section to the misses section due to my weight loss. It seems that a lot of the clothing line has grown up a bit so I don't feel like I'm wearing kids clothes but I am also not wearing clothes that make me look too fuddy duddy.

The boutique within a store concept really reminds me a little bit of Dillard's (with their salespeople that are confined to a single block), which always feels a bit drab to me, but the collaborations that you listed have definitely got me excited to see what it looks like when the remodeling is finally completed!

Honestly, I love anything that sounds like it'll be a great deal, and I definitely like how it sounds right now. I'm a total cheap ass when it comes to buying clothes and I rarely go over paying $25-30 for something because I'd rather buy 10-15 articles of clothing for $200-300 than to spend that much on a single dress or whatever. I do spend a good chunk of my cash every year at JCP especially during their Black Friday and Christmas sales, so I'm def interested to see the final product of their vision.

I have always enjoyed shopping at JCP and like the changes. Downside, there is always something under construction, but the collabs going on is great. I like seeing designers make affordable clothes for everyone. Speaking of Black Friday.. I'll start a thread on that soon! I love it and do most of my shopping that day. I remember scoring a peacoat at JCP for under $50 and the original retail was $200! I'm sure there'll be coupons for the holidays, but I like that I can hit the store and not worry about the percent off coupon I left in the car! Or I'd make a purchase and find the same stuff marked cheaper a week later. I'd always ask store associates if there'd be a better promo and if I'd need to wait or buy on the spot lol.

Same here! Some designer pieces are absolutely gorgeous but I just can't justify paying so much for a single item for myself. That's an awesome deal for a peacoat! I wish I could wear them here lol but it's still 90 degrees out so it looks like we're having another hot winter.

I hate leaving my coupons in the car! I always remember them at the very end where I'm loaded down with stuff to buy and ready to check out, and then "oh hell..."

I used to live by a JCP that had a Sephora in it and I loved it.

Since I moved, they don't have any in the JCP where I live and I hate it. (Now I'm moving back to where I used to live, so whoo hoo! lol... not just for that reason though.) But...yeah, the one we have was really noisy doing their construction. There was the same buzzing sound and it got annoying after a while. But.... if they are going to get some designer stuff, that's awesome! Betsy Johnson is awesome!

Same here! Some designer pieces are absolutely gorgeous but I just can't justify paying so much for a single item for myself. That's an awesome deal for a peacoat! I wish I could wear them here lol but it's still 90 degrees out so it looks like we're having another hot winter. I hate leaving my coupons in the car! I always remember them at the very end where I'm loaded down with stuff to buy and ready to check out, and then "oh hell..."
The clothing will be commercial and mass produced, but should be interesting to see how much aesthetic quality/concept of the designer is still present. I think it's great.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The clothing will be commercial and mass produced, but should be interesting to see how much aesthetic quality/concept of the designer is still present. I think it's great.
Yeah, to me it's the aesthetic that matters the most. Clothes and shoes are meant to be worn until they fall apart. I'd feel a lot better over a $50 pair of heels becoming too scuffed up/damaged to wear than a $600 pair! I think it's great as well.

Yeah, to me it's the aesthetic that matters the most. Clothes and shoes are meant to be worn until they fall apart. I'd feel a lot better over a $50 pair of heels becoming too scuffed up/damaged to wear than a $600 pair! I think it's great as well.
Lol, reminds me. I bought a pair of Nike Shox when they first came out on sale, but still paid $100 or a little more. Didn't last more than a year..falling apart and the soles were coming off. Granted, they were for work, but still.. I expected to get more use before they fell apart! Bought another pair of Nikes, cross trainers this time and paid $50 on sale. It's been almost a year, maybe a little under and they're still brand new looking.

Hah, I ONLY wear black classic slip ons from Vans--they last roughly a year for $50, but I'm also not athletic. 

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol, reminds me. I bought a pair of Nike Shox when they first came out on sale, but still paid $100 or a little more. Didn't last more than a year..falling apart and the soles were coming off. Granted, they were for work, but still.. I expected to get more use before they fell apart! Bought another pair of Nikes, cross trainers this time and paid $50 on sale. It's been almost a year, maybe a little under and they're still brand new looking.
ugh, that sucks! My favourite pair of gladiators are falling apart and I'm not surprised because I got them in China, but I'm still sad because they were so comfy and gorgeous :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> They were only $15 after the conversion though lol. My grandma bought me a pair of $80 sneakers and there were chunks falling off of the sole by my second wear! I think it's because the sidewalks at my uni are terrible though, they're all made of gravel and there's holes everywhere to the point I pretty much almost break my ankle every single day. It still makes me sad whatever the reason is though.

I feel like they're alienating all their original customers--people who aren't much concerned with brands, and who just want to find decent cheap clothes. A year ago, you'd see families with like 4 children, and the moms would have shopping carts piled with clothes. Now the JCP near me is pretty much dead, and their original customers stick to Sears. And how are people who usually don't shop at JCP, going to be reminded or pressured to shop there when they don't have print ads or sales or coupons?

I liked the changes they made in spring--I think their clothing definitely improved. I mean barely over a year ago, their junior's section was filled with Baby Phat, outdated bellbottom jeans, tshirts that said "I <3 MY BOYFRIEND", etc. But the fact of the matter is, they're a "low-end" department store, and it's going to be really hard to shake that off. People go to JCP to shop value, not Nanette Lepore boutiques. They've scorned their value shoppers, and they're having a hard time reeling in new customers. I think in order to get hype going, they'd need to make a temporary collaboration with a well-loved designer, like Target did with Jason Wu.

To be perfectly honest I haven't stepped toe into a JCP for 15 years. Probably since I was a teenager. My Mom used to shop for us there when I was a child because they weren't overpriced. Now we have more options around here so I prefer other places. I don't dislike them, I just didn't have a reason to go there.

I prefer Converse low tops for stuff outside of work, sometimes to work too.  I do have a few slip on ballerina style shoes.  They usually last a year before I tire of them.  The converse last 2-3 depending on how much I love them.  I work my black pair til they slip at the sole and leaked water.  

There are no JCP in Vancouver.  A Nordstrom is coming to Pacific Centre, downtown Vancouver.  I'm not sure when, maybe next year.  Sears had just vacated. 

I really like JCP. I wish the one near me was closer and bigger. This month alone, they've sent me two $10 off $10 coupons (not related to the spend $100 get $10 for having their credit card). I bought some really neat items recently from there.

I do wish they'd carry their tall line in store. Some things I can wear regular sized, but I like tall shirts because if they shrink in the washer/dryer, it's not that big of a deal.

PLUS! Right now they're doing an additional 30% off clearance items online and instore.

Latest posts

Back