Jewelry appraisals

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i wanna get an appraisal on my engagement ring (that i finally got
heart.gif
) for insurance purposes.

i've googled it since i've never gotten one before and i never realized how detailed the process is when it comes to finding someone to do it. my coworker told me she just drops her stuff off at a random jeweler, but an article i was reading said that's not the best way.

what have you done when you got one (or more) on your jewelry? thanks for any info!

I've never had any done, but I just wanted to say Congrats on the engagement!

well I have never had anything appraised .. I would check around and find a reputable jewler to do it. Just make sure you get a recipet and all.

oh and of course congrats on your engagement.

Have you talked to your insurance company about it? Usually they can do it for you or recommend someone who can.

I got my ring appraised..........I bought it online so I wanted to be sure I didn't get riped off.........I researched appraisers a bit first and I also went to a jewelery store in the mall and looked at my ring through their loop.........so I kinda had an idea what kind of blemishes my stone had in it to begin with....I thought that way I would kinda know what my stone looked like. I had the option of leaving my ring for a week or a day and of course I went for the 1 day option.....I figured that wouldn't give them enough time to "swap" diamonds......mind you with my setting I think it would be hard to do with out it being noticed. I brought my certificate that came with my ring they she used that as a reference to see if it "matched up"........she looked at my ring in front of me and talked to me about it a bit and then had a full chat with me when I went back later that day.....she took pictures and mapped out my diamond and gave me a 4 page detailed description and appraisal ......I got 2 copies, one for me and one for my insurance company..........it cost me about $55.

and I'm very happy to say my ring was appraised at DOUBLE what we paid for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck and I think it is definitely worth it!!

I would take it to one of the big appraisal houses that you can trust - like christies or sotherby's. Alternatively, you can take it to a reputable jeweller. My mum took all her stuff to sotherby's.

Just a note - your insurance people will need an independant evaluation
smile.gif

Jen- this is how i found an Appraiser for my jewelry- go to your local Chamber of Commerce, and ask them to refer you to a reputable Appraiser. do not go to random jewelers as it is known that some will switch out diamonds for lesser grade diamonds.

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Jen- this is how i found an Appraiser for my jewelry- go to your local Chamber of Commerce, and ask them to refer you to a reputable Appraiser. do not go to random jewelers as it is known that some will switch out diamonds for lesser grade diamonds. very helpful. thanks!

Latest posts

Back