job application advice?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm filling out a job application, and it includes a supplemental application. I have to answer 4 questions about my volunteer/education experience. The questions are pretty specific, and I have a decent rough draft. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to go into more detail! I'm just feeling anxious, since I'm really interested in this job! Anyone have general advice?

I'm usually not very good with this stuff but we can try. What are some of the questions?

Thanks guys! This is for a Program Educator job at an essential health clinic. I graduated from college in 2002, and have been working part-time, so I've been trying to find a full-time job!

I'm not going to post exactly what I wrote, since I have over a page for each question! I'm going to try to sum up what I have, and any suggestions would be great
smile.gif

Question 1: Describe your training and experience developing, planning, and implementing a program or services. Be specific regarding the types of programs or services and your role in the process. Include names of employers and dates of employment.

My experiences: As a project for one of my college education classes, I arranged times to volunteer at a local high school. Working with 3 other college students, I met with the teacher to discuss lesson ideas and helped students in the class. I also presented a workshop at an international convention for Golden Key Honor Society. As Co-President of my school's chapter of Golden Key, I helped plan an induction ceremony.

Question 2: Describe your training and experience providing outreach and education to a community. Include in your response the topics, community involved, and your responsibilities.

My experiences: I was a tutor at a local middle school for 2 years, and attended a class for other tutors. For many of my college classes I worked with a group to lead class for today. I was also a health and sexuality peer educator (I held clinic sessions for other students, gave presentations to student groups). I have also worked as a tutor for the last year.

Question 3: Describe the work you have done with volunteers or as a volunteer. Briefly describe three ideas for enhancing volunteer satisfaction and retention.

My experience: I volunteered at a local YMCA for 2 years. I also helped recruit other volunteers. Again with Golden Key I helped organize events and recruit members. I want volunteers to have fun and get to know each other, recognize them for their work and show them how they are benefitting the community, and allow them to become group leaders.

Question 4: Describe your experience and training that provides you with the ability to work cooperatively with members of the public and coworkers, consisting of individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds or perspectives. List any specific course work taken or workshops attended regarding diversity issues.

My experience: I majored in English, with an emphasis on multicultural literature. I have taken literature courses focusing on different ethnic groups. I also took a class called "race and ethnicity in American schools" and a current issues in education course. I have lived and worked with people of different backgrounds.

Thanks for reading!

This is really good! I wouldn't change anything. Good luck with the job!

Thanks so much! I feel much more confident now
smile.gif
I'm going to fine tune some of the specific wording, and mail it out this weekend. I'm supposed to find out in 3-4 weeks. I guess they want some time to read through all the applications! But I'll let you know what happens!!

Good Luck! Its also sounds as though you are a caring person and do your bit for society.Good on you!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, I really appreciate it! But, I found out that I didn't get this job
frown.gif

I'm trying to stay optimistic though, and am applying for other things. Any other general job search tips? or anyone have experience relocating?

Originally Posted by alittleweirdo I'm filling out a job application, and it includes a supplemental application. I have to answer 4 questions about my volunteer/education experience. The questions are pretty specific, and I have a decent rough draft. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to go into more detail! I'm just feeling anxious, since I'm really interested in this job! Anyone have general advice?

Sorry to hear you didn't get that job. Keep being optimistic, i am sure there will be work for you somewhere.Its just a case of finding it. Good Luck,and we will all be 'rooting' for you!

Latest posts

Back