John Couey Sentenced to Death!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
John Couey gets death penalty

Friday, August 24, 2007

John Couey has been sentenced to death for the 2005 murder of 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford.

Citrus County circuit judge Richard Howard pronounced the sentence Friday afternoon. Couey was convicted earlier this year of kidnapping, raping and murdering Lunsford, who was a 3rd grade student at Homosassa Elementary School.

Couey, who lived near Lunsford, broke into the mobile home where she lived to burglarize it. He took her from her bedroom and after raping her, he put her inside two plastic bags, one inside the other, and buried her alive. A medical examiner said Lunsford suffocated after being alive at least five minutes and as long as eight minutes inside the bags.

"(Couey) caused a slow, suffering, conscious death," Howard said. "She suffered a smothering, asphyxiating death."

The only other sentence Couey could have received was life in prison. The Miami jury that convicted Couey of Lunsford's murder also recommended death by lethal injection, but under Florida law, judges make the final decision as to what the sentence should be.

Howard listed several aggravating circumstances in pronouncing the sentence, including that the murder was especially cruel and that the Lunsford was killed to eliminate her as a witness. Howard said Couey thoroughly planned and carried out Lunsford's murder.

Howard rejected the mitigating factors Couey's defense team raised in the sentencing phase of his trial, including the defense statements that Couey has a substandard IQ and is brain damaged.

By Florida law, the Florida Supreme Court will review Couey's death sentence.

Since Lunford's murder, her father, Mark Lunsford, has become an activist against sexual offenders and predators. Couey was a convicted sexual offender when he murdered Lunsford.

Source

Good. That's all I have to say.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by luxotika /img/forum/go_quote.gif That is fantastic news. Too bad they can't torture him first. I agree

They should cut his penis off first before they kill him, but without using anesthetics, ...piece of $h*t

just leave the ******bag in a room with the parents, family and friends of that girl and see how fast he dies

I saw this on the news the other day. I agree with everyone I think he needs to be tortured for hurting a poor innocent child. He has a disgusting mind!!

Back