Julep Maven: July 2012 discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Generalissima /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I switched to boho glam because I'm a whore for coral..and it's the only color gloss that I could see myself not tossing. I also want Daphne really bad...I'm thinking of adding georgia and mischa to the it girl box. That would be 6 polishes:) I'm SO picky about lip color..most of them make my pigmented lips look like walking dead girl. What do ya'll think of the peony gloss? Think it would be pale or milky. I couldn't really tell from the swatch pics..
lmao whore for coral = ME 
smilehappyyes.gif
smiletongue.gif

Its my favorite shade of lip stick/balm/tint/stain..u get the picture. I didnt even consider any other option when I saw the Boho Glam box  
12.gif

Oh man. I've been skipping my Julep boxes ever since the first one because I think $20 is way to much for just three products, but this month has got me hooked. That America-The Beautiful polish is spectacular with the cute little stars!! 

I'm technically Boho Glam, but I switched to It Girl because I'd rather have the extra polish. Not that I need another blue/green color, but the glitter is calling to me. I absolutely LOVE blues and greens. =D

Swatches of the July boxes from their blog...

Someone already posted the one of O Canada and America-The Beautiful

Boho Glam

Classic With a Twist

American Beauty

It Girl

Bombshell

And Lip Glosses

Oh man I just realized that Georgia is basically a dupe of Zoya Myrta, which I just bought... hmm will anyone trade their Lynn for Georgia?

Swatch1.jpg

Myrta1.jpg

I was getting ready to skip TOO til I saw what I was going to get! LOL I'm going to wear my glittery polish to Disneyland next month. I like the O Canada too. It looks like sugary cupcake or doughnut frosting. I just received a Zoya Myrta mini in the free Pinterest Summer 3pack they sent out.

I SO wish I could have skipped this month, but they got me like they reeled in everyone else. I changed from Boho Glam to American Beauty, but honestly, I'm here for the America polish. I came close to adding on the O Canada, but refrained. But I think I would have spent $14 for the America polish. Will have it on my toes when my little July baby is born (unless he comes early...don't come early, don't come early)! 

i'm talking myself out of buying a box this month because at my new summer job i can't even wear nail polish and i have to work basically everyday. so getting the america polish would be pointless, even though it looks amazing. but this just means i can put that $$ towards something else i want :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm a total sucker for shaped confetti in polishes. I even got over my Kardisgust long enough to get the Nicole by OPI one with the hearts in it.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a total sucker for shaped confetti in polishes. I even got over my Kardisgust long enough to get the Nicole by OPI one with the hearts in it.
I bought that one, too! I looove the heart shapes(even if they're difficult to get out of the bottle).

I normally don't fall victim to the wishing, because it's better not to expect too much, but man would I love to get a golden box this month.

I. Mean. Dang.

Originally Posted by nicepenguins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I SO wish I could have skipped this month, but they got me like they reeled in everyone else. I changed from Boho Glam to American Beauty, but honestly, I'm here for the America polish. I came close to adding on the O Canada, but refrained. But I think I would have spent $14 for the America polish. Will have it on my toes when my little July baby is born (unless he comes early...don't come early, don't come early)! 
i changed from boho to american too! love the colors. i also added o canada (so pretty) and audrey. i can't wait.

that would be perfect to have america for your delivery! congrats!

i requested to switch my box 3 times before i finally settled on "American Beauty" with audrey and daphne as add ons :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

so many colours to choose from! i still havent spent my $120 cg i got in my april mystery box 
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by jac a /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i changed from boho to american too! love the colors. i also added o canada (so pretty) and audrey. i can't wait.

that would be perfect to have america for your delivery! congrats!
Yay! My husband is making fun of me because he says the baby will think all toenails look like that if that's the first thing he sees. LOL.

Note/Warning about the lip gloss!

First of all, the Note part: I got one in my Mystery Box. It's Ultra Violet, not one of the colors offered in the July boxes, but the color payoff is quite good! Better than you'd expect from the lackluster swatches on the blog.

Now for the Warning part. If you're not familiar with how "plumping" lip glosses work, here's how: the formula includes an irritating ingredient to provoke an immune response; in other words, it poisons your lips so they swell up. It's about as appealing as it sounds. The Julep Lip Vernis are fairly strong on the plumping scale, so yes, your lips will tingle and hurt. The plumping effect is not dramatic or long-lasting, but my boyfriend noticed, just not in the "Oh baby, your lips look wild and sensuous, like Angelina Jolie's" kind of way. More like: "Did you accidentally eat some cantaloupe? (I'm allergic.) Your lips are swollen." Yeah. SEX-UH!

If you have sensitive skin/lips, or don't like the idea of discomfort to look swollen, you might want to go with It Girl, or not test your glosses so you can trade them to someone who doesn't mind the effect.

UPDATE: It turns out Julep has TWO kinds of glosses, which are indistinguishable from the packaging. Weirdly, only the non-plumping version appears on the public site; only the plumping in the Maven Boutique. Regardless, the regular monthly boxes are including the non-plumping variety; it is the June Mystery Boxes where the plumping ones are showing up. The only way to be sure is to check against the color name.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A golden box would be amazeballs!! Lol, there's a lot of good colors, but I settled on It Girl with add ons lol. Fingers crossed for a golden box!
What is a golden box?

Originally Posted by MrsYaYaMom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had such a hard time deciding this month. I am normally an American Beauty but I switched to Classic with a twist. It is too bad that I am going to be going on vacation starting on the 27th, so I won't be able to use the America for 4th of July. And I have to wait longer to dig into my box.
frown.gif
me too (leaving for vacation the 28th).  Doesn't it suck! lol

I just switched again from boho glam to it girl and added on georgia and audrey. Decided I wasn't interested in the gloss..I have soooo much gloss.

Totally, Mjkdior713! Luckily have a good friend who will be getting my mail for me, so I won't have to worry about it sitting in my mail box.

Originally Posted by bluepearl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Note/Warning about the lip gloss!

First of all, the Note part: I got one in my Mystery Box. It's Ultra Violet, not one of the colors offered in the July boxes, but the color payoff is quite good! Better than you'd expect from the lackluster swatches on the blog.

Now for the Warning part. If you're not familiar with how "plumping" lip glosses work, here's how: the formula includes an irritating ingredient to provoke an immune response; in other words, it poisons your lips so they swell up. It's about as appealing as it sounds. The Julep Lip Vernis are fairly strong on the plumping scale, so yes, your lips will tingle and hurt. The plumping effect is not dramatic or long-lasting, but my boyfriend noticed, just not in the "Oh baby, your lips look wild and sensuous, like Angelina Jolie's" kind of way. More like: "Did you accidentally eat some cantaloupe? (I'm allergic.) Your lips are swollen." Yeah. SEX-UH!

If you have sensitive skin/lips, or don't like the idea of discomfort to look swollen, you might want to go with It Girl, or not test your glosses so you can trade them to someone who doesn't mind the effect.
it's a plumper? hmm... didn't see that in the descriptions....

Note/Warning about the lip gloss! First of all, the Note part: I got one in my Mystery Box. It's Ultra Violet, not one of the colors offered in the July boxes, but the color payoff is quite good! Better than you'd expect from the lackluster swatches on the blog. Now for the Warning part. If you're not familiar with how "plumping" lip glosses work, here's how: the formula includes an irritating ingredient to provoke an immune response; in other words, it poisons your lips so they swell up. It's about as appealing as it sounds. The Julep Lip Vernis are fairly strong on the plumping scale, so yes, your lips will tingle and hurt. The plumping effect is not dramatic or long-lasting, but my boyfriend noticed, just not in the "Oh baby, your lips look wild and sensuous, like Angelina Jolie's" kind of way. More like: "Did you accidentally eat some cantaloupe? (I'm allergic.) Your lips are swollen." Yeah. SEX-UH! If you have sensitive skin/lips, or don't like the idea of discomfort to look swollen, you might want to go with It Girl, or not test your glosses so you can trade them to someone who doesn't mind the effect.
Not ALL lip plumping products are created this way or contain the ingredients the cause the lips to be irritated. The main ingredient that does this is called 'capsacin', so if you're concerned about this I'd just check the ingredients. There are several brands of lip plumping glosses that use hyaluronic acid to impart plumping to the lips simply by imparting high amounts of moisture to that area which in turn make the lips appear fuller. I've never owned a Julep gloss, but I just wanted to put it out there that they're not ALL designed this way.

Originally Posted by MrsYaYaMom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Totally, Mjkdior713! Luckily have a good friend who will be getting my mail for me, so I won't have to worry about it sitting in my mail box.
Yea, someone will be bringing ours in which is good...Just wish I could get it shipped to the hotel in S.C where I;ll be...wouldn;t that be nice lol

Back