June 2012 Mystery Box - Should I go for it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just signed up for the Julep Maven program and I'll be receiving my first box for only a penny! I'm so excited because I've heard mostly wonderful things about this program.

It looks like they haven't yet run out of June mystery boxes for $19.99 and I am SO tempted to order one. Is it worth it? I'm wondering if anyone has received a mystery box they were less than thrilled with. I'd love to hear from anyone who has received one! Thanks =]

Is it worth it? Depends. Personally I'm not fond of the mystery boxes and while the value of the box will be at least $60 worth of products I'm an overtly picky person myself which is why I've only caved to buying one or two mystery boxes. However, if you're new to collecting polishes then yes it's worth it because regardless you're still getting at least three to four nail polishes and possibly other products in the box for about $20. I say try the Mystery box at least once and if you don't like it then don't buy one again in the future.

Thanks! I think I'm going to take your advice and try it once to see how I like it. Also, I just realized that I could have just read through the posts about April's mystery box. Oops... Sorry for the wasted thread!
icon_redface.gif

I ordered one.  It departed the post office the next city over this morning so should be here today.  I only have one Julep, so we'll see what we get.  I figure I can trade them if I don't like them.

My June Mystery box arrived today. It included Age Defying Hand Brightener, Glycolic Hand Scrub, the Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Elixir, Emma polish, Gayle polish, and an emery board. So I'm very pleased.

Lamest. Mystery box. Ever.

Emilie - Retail $14

Natalie - Retail $14

Lip Gloss - $18

Top Coat for Hair - $16

2 toe separators - oh yippee, I can sell them and retire

Total retail value: $62

I'm REALLY glad I didn't actually pay the $60 the Mystery Box was advertised for without the promo code. Aaaaaannnnddd, this will definitely be my LAST Mystery Box. Ever.

My mystery box was crap too. 3 polishes that I already have, a nail file and Elixir. Very disappointing. No more mystery boxes for me.

I got one of the $200 boxes so I was stoked but I probably won't do it again. I have such bad luck I should honestly wear a helmet everywhere I go

Quote:Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This month's mystery box was very underwhelming, but I'm not burned out on the idea of them just yet ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I agree..I wasn't amazed with my box either...thought the polishes were totally wrong for the season, but it wasn't a bad value. I'd entertain getting another one and try my luck again.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree..I wasn't amazed with my box either...thought the polishes were totally wrong for the season, but it wasn't a bad value. I'd entertain getting another one and try my luck again.
I had shades that were not to my taste (though they were plenty spring/summery) and one was a jacked-up brush. Then again, I know it's a crapshoot, so it's fine--plus, I've gotten enough Julep topcoats that I can just snake the brush from one of those!

All my shades were dark cremes..which I found more appropriate for winter time..and I believe they sent those out in boxes, then. But they traded well and I kept the top coat lol..So it worked out just fine for me! July is a toughie, since I already switched my box around and got 2 add ons..I was sold! Hopefully they don't do another mystery box til August lol..trying not to throw more money at them just yet.

Originally Posted by Angelaelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My mystery box was crap too. 3 polishes that I already have, a nail file and Elixir. Very disappointing. No more mystery boxes for me.
Hell, Ange, yours was still better than mine; I wouldn't have minded the elixir since that's a more expensive product.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All my shades were dark cremes..which I found more appropriate for winter time..and I believe they sent those out in boxes, then.
Yeah, Emilie is an icky forest green, plus, tragically the name of my husband's ex-wife (even spelled the same way!).

My fear is that as their popularity grows, they are offering more Mystery Boxes each time, but the number of high-value ones are remaining the same. (Similarly, back when they had fewer monthly subscribers, the chance to get one of the 100 Golden Boxes was good; now it's more remote, unless they increase the number of Golden Boxes.) But the lowest-end Mystery Boxes seem to have actually been nerfed down to an even lower value, maybe to offer more higher-end ones? I feel that if there business model calls for them to effectively give away more stuff in boxes, then great, but if that has to mean cheapening everyone else's, that's a bad business decision: making a few people gloriously happy at the expense of making a bunch of people disappointed.

I dunno; I think I'll write to them and see what they say and base my next Mystery Box decision on their response.

I will still take a chance on the mystery boxes, but only if I opt to skip the month, which is why I got one in June lol. I didn't want more than one color from any box...and had thought I'd have a better chance with a mystery box. Surprised about the color choices...the earlier mystery boxes didn't seem too bad.

I like the mystery boxes. I've never gotten one of the huge value ones, even back when they very first had them.

I save up all the extras and give them to my friends, who totally love it!

I bought two mystery boxes, since this was my first buying them. The first one I was kinda okay with, I received the nail therapy, 3 polishes (Pippa, Juliette, and Jodie) the free julep.com nail file and the lip balm. I really liked the lip balm and the nail therapy and Pippa was a pretty color. My box total worth was 64$

My second box was much much better. I received the top coat, base coat, 5 polishes (Taylor, Sandra, Maggie, Emma, and January), the Julep nail growth revitalizing serum, The best pedi creme ever(2oz), The best Pedi prep ever (2oz), the foot file, and the 4 oz Pomegranate body scrub. This box total worth was 216$.

Here is a pic of my June mystery box.  It contained the Pomegranate body scrub & creme, the nail growth revitalizing serum, lip plumper in arousal (which burns - I don't recommend trying), Pippa, Jodie, Molly, Drew, the best pedi creme ever, basecoat & fast dry topcoat.  I like the mystery boxes (order'd the Spring, Cinco de Mayo & June's).  I have ended up with duplicates, but they are great to share!

Ooo..pretty! I had hoped to get colors like that when I ordered, instead I got deep and dark colors..not my first pick for this summer season. Nice box!!

Originally Posted by Country Chic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here is a pic of my June mystery box.  It contained the Pomegranate body scrub & creme, the nail growth revitalizing serum, lip plumper in arousal (which burns - I don't recommend trying), Pippa, Jodie, Molly, Drew, the best pedi creme ever, basecoat & fast dry topcoat.  I like the mystery boxes (order'd the Spring, Cinco de Mayo & June's).  I have ended up with duplicates, but they are great to share!

Mine was kind of disappointing too.  I got the pedi prep, which I was glad to get, a foot file and nail file that went up for swap, a basecoat, and Ellen which also went up for swap, there was another bluish green polish but I forget the name.  I was kind of underwhelmed but I guess I would try another mystery box

My fear is that as their popularity grows, they are offering more Mystery Boxes each time, but the number of high-value ones are remaining the same. (Similarly, back when they had fewer monthly subscribers, the chance to get one of the 100 Golden Boxes was good; now it's more remote, unless they increase the number of Golden Boxes.) But the lowest-end Mystery Boxes seem to have actually been nerfed down to an even lower value, maybe to offer more higher-end ones? I feel that if there business model calls for them to effectively give away more stuff in boxes, then great, but if that has to mean cheapening everyone else's, that's a bad business decision: making a few people gloriously happy at the expense of making a bunch of people disappointed.

I dunno; I think I'll write to them and see what they say and base my next Mystery Box decision on their response.
My fear is more that they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot with the mystery boxes, as far as the business side of things goes. I mean, the monthly box costs $20 and guarantees you at least $40's worth of products. The mystery box costs $20 and guarantees you at least $60's worth of products. For the budget-conscious consumer, that's kind of a no-brainer; in my case, I skipped the July box and am planning on getting a mystery box when they offer it instead (considering they seem to do them about once a month now). Sure, I won't have any control over what polish colors or products I get, but none of the July ones really jump out at me anyway. So I'm worried that given how frequently they've been offering the mystery boxes, other people like me will decide to get those instead of the monthly sub boxes, and then they're losing money. I know that there's value in getting rid of unsold stock, but I think the mystery boxes would be better if they became more rare.

Latest posts

Back