Keira Knightley: Thanks for the Airbrushing

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Keira Knightley routinely makes World's Most Beautiful lists – including PEOPLE's, in 2005 – but the actress is somewhat bewildered by the widespread interest in her looks.

"Somebody goes, 'Gosh, you're pretty,' " Knightley, 22, tells the U.K.'s Radio Times. "Thanks. I've got good genes!

But she can't just credit her family, she admits, saying: "OK, I'm on the cover of a magazine but somebody else does the hair, and the makeup, and airbrushes the f--- out of me – it's not me, it's something other people have created."

The Pirates of the Caribbean star – who replaced Kate Moss as the face of Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle fragrance – says she also can't understand people's obsession with wanting to be well-known.

"It frightens me when kids go, 'I want to be famous,' " she says. "Why? Because you can get into a restaurant? You know what? If you book [a table], you can get into a restaurant! 'I want to be rich and famous.' Go and work on the stock market."

Knightley's fear about the reaction of "kids" was dealt with in January, when she successfully sued Britain's Daily Mail for suggesting she had an eating disorder.

"You couldn't say anything more horrendous," Knightley said of the newspaper's claims about her thin looks – which, she explained at the time, had to do with the arduous work on the final Pirates movie. "So yes, I did take a hard line, and I would take that line again."

Knightley is comfortable with herself now, but says in her teens she was too self-conscious to even watch her own rushes, because, she says, "When I was 16, 17, I felt incredibly awkward about the way I looked."

SOURCE - PEOPLE.COM

Okay, I think it's really cool that she admits that she gets airbrushed, but you know what? I'm really annoyed by her reaction to a paper suggesting she has an eating disorder. It's one thing to deny something and say "that's not true" but by saying it's "horrendous" kind of gives me the impression that she's not aware that an eating disorder is an illness.

Sounds to me like she's grossed out by the mere suggestion that she could have this illness. Would she find it "horrendous" if a paper suggested she had cancer?

Maybe she just means that printing a lie is horrendous in itself, but that's not how I took it and I don't think that's how it's meant . . . "You couldn't say anything more horrendous," Meh. Me no likey her!

Yeah, I suppose she is inconsiderate about what she says. Didnt she also someone in her family had it?

I like her still, either way.

It wouldnt hurt if she gained some weight tho to look healthy. IMO, I think she is below what a healthy weight is for her height.

Yes, I agree she does look very thin. I hope she puts some weight on, regardless of her reasons for being so thin lately. Geeze, it's like her and Jenna Jameson are in a skeletor lookalike contest!
tongue.gif

I don't think she meant horrendous as in she was grossed out. Maybe she meant "horrible", but said a different word?

Anyway, I like how she is truthful and speaks her mind.

When I read what she said about fame, fortune, and the stock market, she went down several notches in my book for the stupid comment.

I dont understand famous people. You get into an industry that you must KNOW is extremely invasive, that will be in your face all the time, then you disparage the very industry that is supporting you - I hate how they talk about the media in such disparaging terms!

like she's famous, and she's paying out famous people - if it's so lame, then why are you involved in it?

I can understand why she's so mad that they are saying she has an eating disorder. Rumors went around that I had an eating disorder in high school, and it really bothered me.

I would have huge self esteem issues if I was constantly getting air brushed.

She's got a bad attitude all around, though. I don't think I've read one interview where she was actually positive.

She seems down to earth to me...then again I haven't read many interview with her or anything...

i understand because the edia shouldnt randomly go around accusing skinny people of having eating disorders, her grandmother or mother sufferedfrom anorexia. I would be offended too in her situation

Latest posts

Back