Knitting/crocheting??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Brelki I like www.knittinguniverse.com and www.knitty.com. Both are pretty neat sites. I also hang out on www.allcrafts.net quite a bit. Thanks! I check the knitty board once in a while, but will check out the others pronto!
cheers!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by kittin Anyone else here knit or crochet? Or spin or weave for that matter? I was just wondering if anyone else shares these addictions too... ?

icon_wink.gif

I knit (mainly scarves and hats, nothing more complicated) and I also sew.

Originally Posted by SamanthaBNYC I knit (mainly scarves and hats, nothing more complicated) and I also sew. !I wish my sewing skills were better.. I'll stick to knitting!
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by kittin !I wish my sewing skills were better.. I'll stick to knitting!
icon_redface.gif
Actually, I'm a lot better at sewing than at knitting. I can sew a coat in the same amount of time that I can knit a scarf. I've been sewing much longer than I've been knitting (I started sewing when I was 6, and I started knitting when I was 27) so that's why. If you want a good book on sewing, I think "Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing" is the best (I work in the apparel industry, and I still swear by that book), it teaches you everything.

I used to knit and all my sweaters used to have kool patterns, but now I don't have time to do that. I would like to do that again though but I'm afraid of starting with a project and not finishing.

Originally Posted by glitter1391 I've always wanted to learn! I always said that by the time I have my first baby I have to know how to because I wanna knit my babies first pair of booties
icon_biggrin.gif
then save it to show him/her when they get older. "Vogue Knitting" has a website that has good information for starting out. It's some of the best illustrations I've seen. I also own the books "Stitch & witch" and "Stich & witch Nation" which are also easy to follow. In the U.S., they have "Stitch & witch" knitting groups in major cities that meet weekly, and I think they also have international ones, so that would be a good way to learn (by meeting other knitters), as the groups have beginner, intermediate, and advanced knitters. Meetup.com also lists some knitting groups.

Originally Posted by bluebird26 I used to knit and all my sweaters used to have kool patterns, but now I don't have time to do that. I would like to do that again though but I'm afraid of starting with a project and not finishing. Maybe start with something small you can finish really quickly? Like an iPod cosy or a wristband? I ffind if I get some instant gratification I'm much more likely to pick up something bigger
icon_biggrin.gif
I like the Family Circle Easy Knits magazine this fall (which surprised me to NO END!).. I'm actually just about finished a sweater from there. Knock on wood it doesn't look as horrid on me as the first two I knit
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by SamanthaBNYC "Vogue Knitting" has a website that has good information for starting out. It's some of the best illustrations I've seen. I also own the books "Stitch & witch" and "Stich & witch Nation" which are also easy to follow. In the U.S., they have "Stitch & witch" knitting groups in major cities that meet weekly, and I think they also have international ones, so that would be a good way to learn (by meeting other knitters), as the groups have beginner, intermediate, and advanced knitters. Meetup.com also lists some knitting groups. I fond my Stitch and witch through Meetup! Great way to find like minded peeps, and some of them are SO AMAZING!! Awesome way to pool resources. If I have a question, someone from knit club usually has the answer.
claps.gif

Yay! I went to a "Sit & Knit" meeting today and knitted 3 inches on my sweater (it has a front panel and a back panel, and I'm still on my front panel, haven't made it to the back panel yet) and I feel good. Hopefully, I'll get that sweater knit by 2007 (this is my first sweater, so I'm slow).

I just got back from today's "Sit-N-Knit", it was the Learner's course (It was open to people who had never knitted and people who wanted to learn new things). I wanted to learn how to cable (never tried it), but unfortunately a lot of the teachers didn't show up, so the teachers who were there had a ton of beginners to teach. I brought extra yarn and needles, and ended up teaching some of the novices (people at my level) how to knit in-the-round. I was surprised I could teach, but I did.

I love knitting!!!I knit almost every winter.

Here's an image of a scarf that i made last winter.Sorry for the messy background LOL

DSCN0186.jpg

Yay! I just finished the scarf I was knitting in Colinette "Silky Chic" yarn in the color combo "Jamboree". I'm going to try to finish knitting a couple more scarves before I buy any more yarn.

my grandmother taught me some basics back when I was about 8. I don't really remember much but I would love to take a class on this.

I love to crochet! I've tried knitting but I can't get tension right and my hands cramp up plus I drop stitches all the time

I've never tried knitting, but I used to attempt at crocheting back in the day with my mom. She rocks at it! Used to make us a new blanket almost yearly!

Back