LaPrairie Foundation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? Seems a little steep for foundation. Just wondering is its worth it.

I own La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation, which I think is what you're asking about.

found_caviar_concealer_new.jpg

This is the $150 concealer/foundation duo that comes with a stand and a concealer brush. Aside from the ridiculous price, I think this is a great foundation and concealer. The foundation is a cream, gives a medium to full coverage finish and is great for skin that needs firming and hydration. Its sunscreen is octinoxate 6.0% and the product is labeled as offering SPF 15. In the cap is a creamy matching concealer that covers nicely.

What I like best about this foundation is how my skin looks later on in the day. My skin retains a glow and looks comfortable. Also, when I wash my face at night my skin feels really soft and cared for. It should, because this foundation is skin care in makeup form. It's an anti-aging foundation! woohoo! It's $150 because it's an extension of their super-expensive Skin Caviar product line.

La Prairie also sells a regular foundation for about $65 - Cellular Treatment Foundation SPF 15.

found_satin_new.jpg

I think this foundation is a pure luxury item. If you need a foundation that performs like I described and price is of little concern, then it's definitely worth checking out. I'd recommend scoring a sample and taking it for a test drive before buying it. If the price is too steep for you but you like the way it performs, then check out Becca. Combining their Luminous Skin Color and Foundation Stick, you'll have great skin care, coverage and luminosity and still come in under $80.

HTH!!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Tinydancer Has anyone tried this? Seems a little steep for foundation. Just wondering is its worth it.

Hi Kitty

I have Becca and I'm not so impressed with it. It does sound great but why so much? I guess because of the anti-aging thing
icon_rolleyes.gif

Can it be compared to Armani ?

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish I own La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation, which I think is what you're asking about.
found_caviar_concealer_new.jpg

This is the $150 concealer/foundation duo that comes with a stand and a concealer brush. Aside from the ridiculous price, I think this is a great foundation and concealer. The foundation is a cream, gives a medium to full coverage finish and is great for skin that needs firming and hydration. Its sunscreen is octinoxate 6.0% and the product is labeled as offering SPF 15. In the cap is a creamy matching concealer that covers nicely.

What I like best about this foundation is how my skin looks later on in the day. My skin retains a glow and looks comfortable. Also, when I wash my face at night my skin feels really soft and cared for. It should, because this foundation is skin care in makeup form. It's an anti-aging foundation! woohoo! It's $150 because it's an extension of their super-expensive Skin Caviar product line.

La Prairie also sells a regular foundation for about $65 - Cellular Treatment Foundation SPF 15.

found_satin_new.jpg

I think this foundation is a pure luxury item. If you need a foundation that performs like I described and price is of little concern, then it's definitely worth checking out. I'd recommend scoring a sample and taking it for a test drive before buying it. If the price is too steep for you but you like the way it performs, then check out Becca. Combining their Luminous Skin Color and Foundation Stick, you'll have great skin care, coverage and luminosity and still come in under $80.

HTH!!!
smile.gif

Shutup, shutup, shutup!!!!

You're not helping me here!
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by Irishgirl Hi Tiny,
Oh..it kills me to say this because of the darn price tag! But...This is the "Rolls Royce" of liquid foundations in my book. The foundation is thin and lightweight; yet it is very dense in pigment..It is smooth like "butt-uh baybee" and it applies very smoothly..If you were to treat yourself to one luxury makeup item; this would be it..It makes your skin look so pretty too like it's yours; not a cake face. I cringe at the price but I haven't tried anything like it..It's a good formula for Normal/Dry skins..Oilier skin types may find it too moisturizing.

I wish I could compare it to Armani, but I haven't used that line's foundation...yet.
biggrin.gif
Well, to be honest I'm with Irishgirl. This really is a great foundation; the best I've ever used. What really makes this stand out for me is how well my skin looks throughout the day. With other foundations I can make my skin look great for the first few hours, but after 5+ hours my cheeks and eye area look tired, faded and dry. This keeps me covered and luminous until I wash my face. Love it!! But I still can't with good conscience tell anyone "Oh you must buy this!!" because everyone's mileage differs and this would be one helluva expensive mistake if it didn't work out for you!

Yeah, I've seen this online for $130 and maybe next time I'll buy it that way. I'm a sucker for instant gratification and I have La Prairie counters nearby!

Oh, and I find that it looks even better when I add a very thin layer of Smashbox's Photo Finish underneath! This enables me to wear a sheerer layer because the foundation goes on like buttah...

I think the price is steep because of all the extra anti-aging, firming properties, but the whole Skin Caviar line is SUPER expensive. Like "Holy Hell" expensive!
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Tinydancer Hi KittyI have Becca and I'm not so impressed with it. It does sound great but why so much? I guess because of the anti-aging thing
icon_rolleyes.gif

Can it be compared to Armani ?

Oh no you getting me all excited about this too!!!! I'm trying my hardest to resist although the price tag is sure helping
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Tinydancer Shutup, shutup, shutup!!!! You're not helping me here!
icon_lol.gif

I'm feeling a bit tortured myself..I really want this now
frown.gif

Guys if ye email them, they'll send samples no problem.. La Prairie doesnt have a counter near me (don't even think there is on in this stupid tiny country) so i asked them could they send samples.. They sent 1 sample of each of the colours (think there's 6/7/8 in total).. Come to think of it, do any of ye use DARK shades. Think i've the 2 darkest shades left somewhere, i can send them to whoever wants them
smile.gif

OK, now if I 'were' to get this what shade do you think I might be? Right now I wear MAC NW20, Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer SX04, Paula Dorf Ivory or Lancome Buff 2 (W) Help!

LOL! Okay, if you were going to get this, I would guess at either the Soie Natural or Sand Beige. If you want, I can make a trip to the mall tomorrow, compare the Lancome and MAC fx's to La Prairie and give you a definitive answer. No problem...it's the MALL! Can't keep me away from the place.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Tinydancer OK, now if I 'were' to get this what shade do you think I might be? Right now I wear MAC NW20, Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer SX04, Paula Dorf Ivory or Lancome Buff 2 (W)Help!

Oh gosh! Don't make a special trip, just whenever you go again. Thats so nice of you to do! Ugh! the man is going to kill me for sure this time LOL!

Thanks
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish LOL! Okay, if you were going to get this, I would guess at either the Soie Natural or Sand Beige. If you want, I can make a trip to the mall tomorrow, compare the Lancome and MAC fx's to La Prairie and give you a definitive answer. No problem...it's the MALL! Can't keep me away from the place.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Well, I have to do one last little purchase (like sandals) tomorrow before I leave for vacation to St. John USVI this Thursday, so I know I'll be at the mall.
wink.gif

Which is a better match - MAC NW20 or Lancome Buff 2 (W)?

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Tinydancer Oh gosh! Don't make a special trip, just whenever you go again. Thats so nice of you to do! Ugh! the man is going to kill me for sure this time LOL!Thanks
icon_biggrin.gif

I'd say the Lancome is a better match. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this for me, I really appreciate this.

btw Have a great time in St John's, lucky you!

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Well, I have to do one last little purchase (like sandals) tomorrow before I leave for vacation to St. John USVI this Thursday, so I know I'll be at the mall.
wink.gif

Which is a better match - MAC NW20 or Lancome Buff 2 (W)?

Thanks!!

Hi Tinydancer! I checked out Lancome's foundations and I realized that each Lancome foundation, if it comes in Buff 2, is a different shade. Photogenic in Buff 2 was the lightest, followed by Teint Idole, which their Buff 2 was MUCH darker.
confused.gif
I figured you were matched to Photogenic since you were similar to Paula Dorf Ivory. There's no way the Teint Idole's shade is similar to anything called Ivory! Maybe more of a dooky brown?

Anyhoo, I took a generous swipe of Buff 2 on my wrist and did side-by-side thick swipes of La Prairie Skin Caviar. After testing about 8 shades of the LPSC, I narrowed the field down to three. The closest shade match was Creme Peche (I swear I'm not being biased!!), which was just a hair's difference lighter. I don't think this will make a visual difference because the two shades are very, very similar. The next shade, visibly more pink than Buff 2, was Porcelain Blush. The last shade was Creme Pale, which was noticably more pale and ivory than Buff 2.

The Soie Natural and Sand Beige shades were way too dark, when compared to Buff 2.

I hope that helps some!

Originally Posted by Tinydancer I'd say the Lancome is a better match. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this for me, I really appreciate this. btw Have a great time in St John's, lucky you!

icon_lol.gif
Dooky brown!

You rock!! Thankyou so much for doing that Kerry, I really appreciate it!

Creme Peche looks so light *on the website* but I trust your judgement. I'm going to get some samples before I take the plunge!

*doing the happy dance*

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Hi Tinydancer! I checked out Lancome's foundations and I realized that each Lancome foundation, if it comes in Buff 2, is a different shade. Photogenic in Buff 2 was the lightest, followed by Teint Idole, which their Buff 2 was MUCH darker.
confused.gif
I figured you were matched to Photogenic since you were similar to Paula Dorf Ivory. There's no way the Teint Idole's shade is similar to anything called Ivory! Maybe more of a dooky brown?
Anyhoo, I took a generous swipe of Buff 2 on my wrist and did side-by-side thick swipes of La Prairie Skin Caviar. After testing about 8 shades of the LPSC, I narrowed the field down to three. The closest shade match was Creme Peche (I swear I'm not being biased!!), which was just a hair's difference lighter. I don't think this will make a visual difference because the two shades are very, very similar. The next shade, visibly more pink than Buff 2, was Porcelain Blush. The last shade was Creme Pale, which was noticably more pale and ivory than Buff 2.

The Soie Natural and Sand Beige shades were way too dark, when compared to Buff 2.

I hope that helps some!

You're welcome! I just took a picture of a blob of my LPSC in Creme Peche against Lancome's Adaptive in Creme 1. Please forgive my nasty handwriting!! In actuality, they are right about the same skintone depth with Creme Peche being more beige and Creme 1 is visually more pink. I wear both equally well, though I prefer LPSC in Creme Peche because it's not as PINK. I have a hard time wearing foundations that are yellow in undertone because my skintone is very neutral. Anything too yellow will make me look ill.

Note the lovely oil ring around LPSC! Niiiice... This formed after 5 minutes!

The colors in this pic turned out looking a bit darker in this picture than in reality. If you look at Creme 1 in Adaptive in person, then you'll get an idea of the depth of Creme Peche.

LPSC_and_Adaptive.JPG

Originally Posted by Tinydancer
icon_lol.gif
Dooky brown!
You rock!! Thankyou so much for doing that Kerry, I really appreciate it!

Creme Peche looks so light *on the website* but I trust your judgement. I'm going to get some samples before I take the plunge!

*doing the happy dance*

ohhhhh, wow!

Well thats got to be the one then!

I'm the same as far as a yellow undertone, I look freaky sick.

Oy, I am in SO much trouble! LOL!

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish You're welcome! I just took a picture of a blob of my LPSC in Creme Peche against Lancome's Adaptive in Creme 1. Please forgive my nasty handwriting!! In actuality, they are right about the same skintone depth with Creme Peche being more beige and Creme 1 is visually more pink. I wear both equally well, though I prefer LPSC in Creme Peche because it's not as PINK. I have a hard time wearing foundations that are yellow in undertone because my skintone is very neutral. Anything too yellow will make me look ill.
Note the lovely oil ring around LPSC! Niiiice... This formed after 5 minutes!

The colors in this pic turned out looking a bit darker in this picture than in reality. If you look at Creme 1 in Adaptive in person, then you'll get an idea of the depth of Creme Peche.

LPSC_and_Adaptive.JPG

Glad I could help!

Love,

The Enabler

Originally Posted by Tinydancer ohhhhh, wow!Well thats got to be the one then!

I'm the same as far as a yellow undertone, I look freaky sick.

Oy, I am in SO much trouble! LOL!

OK, I got my samples in the mail and Kitty you were right! Creme Peche is perfect! I LOVE this foundation! Its hard to really give it a real go because I only got 3 uses out of that particular color but, I have to say this foundation is really fantastic! My skin looked amazing, my makeup went on so perfectly and stayed put too! I am so ashamed of myself but I have to get this, eh who needs to eat!
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Tinydancer OK, I got my samples in the mail and Kitty you were right! Creme Peche is perfect! I LOVE this foundation! Its hard to really give it a real go because I only got 3 uses out of that particular color but, I have to say this foundation is really fantastic! My skin looked amazing, my makeup went on so perfectly and stayed put too! I am so ashamed of myself but I have to get this, eh who needs to eat!
icon_redface.gif
Kim..I'm feelin' the love for LP foundation..Got a tons of samples from LP but only one of the foundation was hoping to try it for a while longer..Creme Peche is my perfect match also..Made my skin look flawless but then I read a review that said it contained silicone so I freaked and washed it off..But no break outs so I might actually give it another try..This could possibly be HG material ..

Latest posts

Back