Large or Small Face Powder Brush?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase my first loose face powder (MAC Select Sheer) via online and I've been wondering about the size of the powder brush (I'm a pressed-powder girl). I've seen big, round fluffy ones and small, slender ones (in diameter). I thought I could figure this out myself, so I went to the drugstore to stare at some brushes to figure out which one would work. My staring didn't work.

Do smaller ones have more control? Do the big ones apply the loose powder more sheer? I don't want to get powder in my hair (it's jet black) and I don't have a lot of time in the mornings. What's the pros and cons of each?

well.. i have both. i would say that the big ones gives you sheerer coverage and that it doesnt have much control. the smaller one gives better coverage(if that makes any sense) and you'll have better control. hth

Originally Posted by angellove /img/forum/go_quote.gif well.. i have both. i would say that the big ones gives you sheerer coverage and that it doesnt have much control. the smaller one gives better coverage(if that makes any sense) and you'll have better control. hth I agree with everything you said!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Retro-Violet /img/forum/go_quote.gif i prefer mine to be big and fluffy Does powder get in your hair? I do my hair before make-up because I put so much hair wax in it that it would get on my face (My hair is short like Sharon Stone's hair). And I'd hate to matte my hair down with one of those headbands.
10.gif

I think big ones are better. I have one that i feel is kinda small and i dont like it.

Originally Posted by Make-up_Hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif Does powder get in your hair? I do my hair before make-up because I put so much hair wax in it that it would get on my face (My hair is short like Sharon Stone's hair). And I'd hate to matte my hair down with one of those headbands.
10.gif
as a girls with black hair, ive never had a problem.it usually goes on sheer so if it ever did, i never noticed.

and i usually move my hair up with my hand when i do my forehead.

Hmmm. It seems like the opinions are split. I might have to buy both. I was trying to avoid that.

I have a nice medium sized powder brush from The Body Shop. It's not a huge brush, but it does cover my face with a few sweeps. It doesn't apply very heavy coverage, but I like my powder going on sheer so I was happy with it.

I use a Kabuki brush (Sonia Kashuk) and sometimes a fairly large powder brush. I'd rather it be bigger to cover a larger surface area... not that my face is huge lol but it's just easier!

Originally Posted by Retro-Violet /img/forum/go_quote.gif i prefer mine to be big and fluffy me too i use the smaller one for blush instead

I like big and fluffy ones. If I need more coverage on a certain area, I just press more powder there and lightly buff the excess off.

I made a quick run to the MAC store and bought the loose face powder. I decided to try a left-over large brush that I bought a few weeks ago for blush, but it was too big.

I applied the powder, which was going great, until I hit the bridge of my nose, right between the eyes, and down the nose. The brush couldn't fit into the corners. I guess I'll need a small to medium brush. I'm thinking something like the MAC 129 blush/powder brush.

Thanks ladies!

im using BB kabuki face brush (small short handle) to apply powder compacts and also MSF.Now ive changed into MAC #129 for both blushes, and powder as i find this brush gives more controlled application.The other day i went to MAC store, i found a new powder brush which she claimed its kinda new this year, alas forgotten the number!its medium handles and medium sized, fluffy but fan typed a bit.Thinking of buying that.....

Latest posts

Back