Large pores-natural solutions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i've been searching this site for advice on minmizing large pores but they mostly talk about chemical primers or face masks. I 'm tryng to stay as natural as possible- any advice? On either MMU or facial cleansers, toners, masks that have helped. Maybe homemade solutions??

yes - i too have large pores and was thinking about going to a dermatologist.

I hope somebody posts with some great products.

Stacey

I have an appointment with a dermatologist in feb though i'm i'm not overly optimistic. I've started trying various homemade cleansers - I have on a mixture of glycerin and lime juice as i type. Not sure what its supposed to do but apparently my grandmother used it all her life and she had great skin. At the very least it'll clean and tone i think and that's a good thing. i need to just get over myself and stop being so self conscious as far as the pores go. i rule them they don't rule me! um, right??

What are you using for skincare? I would start there.

I am quite oily, sensitive. I can't use primers or anything with silicones. But I do find that a layer UNDER my MMU foundation works well. I like Kaolin clay based primer. There is a few around. Some are tinted and some will also contain Mica. Mica adds sheen.

Aubrey Nicole also has Oil control powder and samples for .99 each. She has different ingredients in her formula (no silicone) and it works well also.

Also suggested as a cheap mask is MOM = Milk of Magnesia. It is in the laxative section in the drug store. I buy the non name brand instead of Phillips. It aborbs oil very well. Some ladies also use this as a primer; a very thin coat under MU. Be sure to buy plain.

Also finishing powder can make a huge difference. Do not use anything that adds shine.

Originally Posted by corri /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have an appointment with a dermatologist in feb though i'm i'm not overly optimistic. I've started trying various homemade cleansers - I have on a mixture of glycerin and lime juice as i type. Not sure what its supposed to do but apparently my grandmother used it all her life and she had great skin. At the very least it'll clean and tone i think and that's a good thing. i need to just get over myself and stop being so self conscious as far as the pores go. i rule them they don't rule me! um, right?? I really would not use the glycerin and lime juice combination. Glyercin seems to be the "latest" new item on Makeupalley.com skin care board. It does moisturize but it is causing problems for some. Lime/lemon juice can be very acidic.
There is good advise on this board under skin care. Also the ladies on makeupalley are very knowledgeable. I am not sure what skin type you have or what you have tried.

IMO for oily/prone to clogged pores = beta hyrdoxy acid product =BHA

I like Paula's Choice but Nuetrogena has a couple of good ones. Also gentle cleanser.

One book that might help is Dr. Baumann's "the skin type solution". She is a derm (with great skin) and identifies 16 skin types and recommends products. She also has a forum. I got the book from the library.

Another book I like is also by a derm. It is written by Dr. Jeannette Graf and is called " Stop Aging, Start Living" the 2 week ph diet." This one focuses more on anti-aging and nutrition. It does have basic skin care advise but not as detailed as Dr. Baumann's book.

I would go with chemical peels. If the pores are enlarged chemical exfoliation is the best thing. As I say chemical doesn't mean it's not natural. I would recommend various glycolic acid peels as well as yellow peel. It's all natural acids ingredients, and you can achieve good results really fast.

Originally Posted by corri /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have an appointment with a dermatologist in feb though i'm i'm not overly optimistic. I've started trying various homemade cleansers - I have on a mixture of glycerin and lime juice as i type. Not sure what its supposed to do but apparently my grandmother used it all her life and she had great skin. At the very least it'll clean and tone i think and that's a good thing. i need to just get over myself and stop being so self conscious as far as the pores go. i rule them they don't rule me! um, right?? One of the best things I've seen and used for treating large pores is a vinegar toner (which you can easily make at home)My own recipe is 1 part vinegar (I like red wine or apple cider vinegar) to 15-30 parts of liquid (I like aloe juice or distillate)

It works really good and even clears up the skin!

hth hon
smile.gif

alright- Jen now you're 4 for 4! i guess its a small MMU world... last night i tried both a vinegar steam cleanse and then dabbing straight vinegar on afterwards and i have to say that my pores appeared huge ! more visible than normal even. what's up with that??

also, i keep seeing mention of using distilled water in formulas over regular- does it really make a difference? and what did you mean by distillate exactly?

Originally Posted by corri /img/forum/go_quote.gif alright- Jen now you're 4 for 4! i guess its a small MMU world... last night i tried both a vinegar steam cleanse and then dabbing straight vinegar on afterwards and i have to say that my pores appeared huge ! more visible than normal even. what's up with that??
also, i keep seeing mention of using distilled water in formulas over regular- does it really make a difference? and what did you mean by distillate exactly?

LOL I seem to be everywhere don't I? I think its more like I know where the cool forums are
wink.gif
hehehehdon't use vinegar straight, its way too acidic like that. It probably irritated your skin
frown.gif

Definitely dilute ok?

Also wanted to mention something else about toning. I think you asked in another thread about how to use a moisturiser after you have toned. What I do is I cleanse, then tone, and then I spray my face with hydrosol. I believe that the toning process actually helps set the skin up to take the next few products (hydration and moisturiser, etc)

hth!

Originally Posted by corri /img/forum/go_quote.gif also, i keep seeing mention of using distilled water in formulas over regular- does it really make a difference? and what did you mean by distillate exactly? distilled water is water that has gone through a distillate process in order to purify it. Distillates are like witch hazel, cucumber, fruit distillates like GOW uses, etc.

They basically put the water in a container, or the fruit, etc into water and then they distill it which means they heat it, the steam rises, goes through a series of tubes and then out another end into a collection container. This end product is the "distillate"

So this can be water distillate (distilled water) or other various distillates.

Hope this helps
smile.gif

thanks everyone for the advice. i'll look into the glycerine and lime juice- worked for my grandmother though... and i've seen on other sites then reccommending straight lemon/lime to shrink pores and blemishes. its all so confusing!!! and on this site and others i've seen toner recipies that mix 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water. Jen- you've said 15-30- that's a huge difference! i need someone to come and clean my face and do my make up regimen for me - all the advice is great but i am starting to feel a tad muddled. now that they're doing face transplants... ?

just realized that i'm up to 9 posts- may as go for the ten. now i'll hopefully be able to see the links people including in their messages. yay!

poop.

I have and haven't noticed any difference. Is it mostly used mixed with water?

Latest posts

Back