Large Pores Solved

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this current article and cut and pasted it. It's handy. Check it out!

Dilemma of the Week: Make large pores appear smaller

gradhlng.gif

Makeup artist Deborah Grayson solves

one beauty dilemma each week.

gradhlng.gif

I have very large pores and oily skin. I wear a foundation, but it sinks into my pores instead of covering them. How can I make my pores invisible?

It's hard when you're so unhappy with the state of your skin that covering up seems the only way to go, and ironic that the very oil you're struggling with is nature's own moisturizer (which will serve you well later, so take heart!). As far as invisible pores, I suspect you've been flipping through one too many fashion magazines and thus fallen victim to airbrushed and retouched standards of beauty. Well I'm here to set you free! Put on your glasses, take a look around (at anyone past the age of, say, 25) and you'll see pores; they're a fact of life.

Nonetheless, pores can often seem enlarged when they're blocked with oil. So working to reduce that oil blockage may result in the appearance of smaller pores. I suggest two plans of attack: Make changes in your beauty habits and diet that may affect oil levels in your skin and try some makeup application tips that may better camouflage the appearance of large pores. Here's what I recommend:

<LI>Wash your face twice a day with a pore-refining cleanser.

<LI>Eliminate processed foods, especially those containing trans-fatty acids. Instead choose "good" fat such as extra virgin olive oil. (Get the lowdown on the whole good fat/bad fat thing.)

<LI>Eat lots of fresh fish, vegetables and fruit, especially cantaloupe and berries.

<LI>For makeup coverage, dot on a light, oil-free foundation. Apply it only where you need it -- the sides of the nose, forehead and chin, for example.

<LI>Use matte powder or blotting sheets on those shiny areas. Lastly, talk to your dermatologist to find out if you're a candidate for tretinoin, a prescription drug widely knows as Retin-A that can help unclog pores.

Recommended products this week for treating large pores.

N.V. Perricone, M.D. Alpha Lipoic Acid Face Firming Activator

Designed to help balance oil production in cells and oil glands to facilitate unplugging and tightening of pores.

Price: $95

Available: (888) 823-7837, ClinicalCreations.com, Sephora, Sephora.com

N.V. Perricone, M.D. Alpha Lipoic Acid Nutritive Cleanser

This natural nutrient-like substance is designed to improve skin tone in the belief toning the tiny muscle surrounding the pore will make the pore appear smaller.

Price: $30

Christian Dior iOd Aqua Powder

This fine white powder transforms into a mattifying fluid on the skin, for use under or over makeup. This product is excellent; pores really do seem to disappear.

Price: $31

Available: Department stores, Sephora, Sephora.com

Shiseido Pureness Oil-Control Blotting Paper

Thin powder-coated paper sheets absorb excess sebum on the skin's surface.

Price: $12.50

Available: Select Barney's, Lord & Taylor, Macy's and Sephora stores; Find a Shiseido retailer near you

M.A.C Blot Powder

One of my all time favorites; a staple in my makeup bag.

Price: $15

Available: (800) 387-6707, M.A.C boutiques and counters, MACCosmetics.com M.A.C Oil Control Lotion

Helps maintain a matte finish by controlling the dispersion of oil. Also contains ingredients that attract water to the skin, which helps minimize the appearance of fine lines.

Price: $22

Available: (800) 387-6707, M.A.C boutiques and counters, MACCosmetics.com

Originally Posted by shoediva good stuff Cali- very helpful to me, thanks Yeah! Me too! Hehheh

Originally Posted by Californian I found this current article and cut and pasted it. It's handy. Check it out!
Dilemma of the Week: Make large pores appear smaller

gradhlng.gif

Makeup artist Deborah Grayson solves

one beauty dilemma each week.

gradhlng.gif

I have very large pores and oily skin. I wear a foundation, but it sinks into my pores instead of covering them. How can I make my pores invisible?

It's hard when you're so unhappy with the state of your skin that covering up seems the only way to go, and ironic that the very oil you're struggling with is nature's own moisturizer (which will serve you well later, so take heart!). As far as invisible pores, I suspect you've been flipping through one too many fashion magazines and thus fallen victim to airbrushed and retouched standards of beauty. Well I'm here to set you free! Put on your glasses, take a look around (at anyone past the age of, say, 25) and you'll see pores; they're a fact of life.

Nonetheless, pores can often seem enlarged when they're blocked with oil. So working to reduce that oil blockage may result in the appearance of smaller pores. I suggest two plans of attack: Make changes in your beauty habits and diet that may affect oil levels in your skin and try some makeup application tips that may better camouflage the appearance of large pores. Here's what I recommend:

<LI>Wash your face twice a day with a pore-refining cleanser.

<LI>Eliminate processed foods, especially those containing trans-fatty acids. Instead choose "good" fat such as extra virgin olive oil. (Get the lowdown on the whole good fat/bad fat thing.)

<LI>Eat lots of fresh fish, vegetables and fruit, especially cantaloupe and berries.

<LI>For makeup coverage, dot on a light, oil-free foundation. Apply it only where you need it -- the sides of the nose, forehead and chin, for example.

<LI>Use matte powder or blotting sheets on those shiny areas. Lastly, talk to your dermatologist to find out if you're a candidate for tretinoin, a prescription drug widely knows as Retin-A that can help unclog pores.

Recommended products this week for treating large pores.

N.V. Perricone, M.D. Alpha Lipoic Acid Face Firming Activator

Designed to help balance oil production in cells and oil glands to facilitate unplugging and tightening of pores.

Price: $95

N.V. Perricone, M.D. Alpha Lipoic Acid Nutritive Cleanser

This natural nutrient-like substance is designed to improve skin tone in the belief toning the tiny muscle surrounding the pore will make the pore appear smaller.

Price: $30

Christian Dior iOd Aqua Powder

This fine white powder transforms into a mattifying fluid on the skin, for use under or over makeup. This product is excellent; pores really do seem to disappear.

Price: $31

Available: Department stores, Sephora, Sephora.com

Shiseido Pureness Oil-Control Blotting Paper

Thin powder-coated paper sheets absorb excess sebum on the skin's surface.

Price: $12.50

Available: Select Barney's, Lord & Taylor, Macy's and Sephora stores; Find a Shiseido retailer near you

M.A.C Blot Powder

One of my all time favorites; a staple in my makeup bag.

Price: $15

Available: (800) 387-6707, M.A.C boutiques and counters, MACCosmetics.com M.A.C Oil Control Lotion

Helps maintain a matte finish by controlling the dispersion of oil. Also contains ingredients that attract water to the skin, which helps minimize the appearance of fine lines.

Price: $22

Available: (800) 387-6707, M.A.C boutiques and counters, MACCosmetics.com

I have exactly the opposite dilemma..I have visible pores but my skin is dry..Very confusing

Originally Posted by allisong I have exactly the opposite dilemma..I have visible pores but my skin is dry..Very confusing I thought that I was the only one with this problem...glad that I am not alone!

thanks for sharing this helpful article

i think i'll try that dior powder since its not so pricy as i thought lol
tongue.gif

The oddest thing happened to me the other day.. I noticed in the middle of the day that I had visible pores.. Pores that seemed a lot more enlarged than usual, for heaven's sake I *noticed* them.. anyway, I quickly washed my face with a good wash and dabbed on a good moisturizer because I had read somewhere that pores may seem enlarged if the skin is 'thirsty'. And I have sensitive/dry skin.. not oily in the least.

Anyway.. it worked or something, because they seem a lot more normal now. =]

I have large pores and I hate them. I should try washing with a pore refining cleanser as stated in the article. Does anyone use or or can recommend one? I also use a pore filler by Prescriptives that is quite good- I put it under my foundation.

Oh man I hate my large pores. It makes me feel....gross! I also have dry skin so maybe I will try to wash more and hydrate more. Thanks for the thread!

Is there a pore minimizer product?

Originally Posted by Naturally A good toner can also help minimize pores!

Originally Posted by greeneyedangel I have large pores and I hate them. I should try washing with a pore refining cleanser as stated in the article. Does anyone use or or can recommend one? I also use a pore filler by Prescriptives that is quite good- I put it under my foundation. Nutrogena makes a good line for pore minimizing (wash, toner, cream). I used it for a few years but now I'm more concerned with wrinkles so I switched.

I have the same issue with large pores.

Sue Devitt makes a wonderful face primer. This stuff makes my skin look fantastic.

I also swear by MAC's oil control lotion and blotting papers.

Just started using a product by Aloette called Flawless Finish, does a great job at minimizing large pores, and is the first product I've tried that keeps me shine free all day. I only wear mineral makeup, and the combination works great. Good luck!

this may sound really weird but i have one large pore. its right in the crack where my nose ends and cheek starts. i hate it its like in the centre of my face. the rest of my face is fine never see pores so it would be overkill to use any stuff all over, but does anyone know of thing that would be good to use to dab on that one spot? the spot gets so clogged up too.

Latest posts

Back