Lets talk about a ruined face!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Normally everyone wants waterproof, no smearing, etc. I am asking suggestions for the exact opposite. I want what you'd consider best for water ruined makeup! I want to apply a gorgeous face and then ruin it by jumping in a pool. Yes this I have mascara, eyeliner, shadow, and lipstick smudged down my face is the look I'm going to go for. What products would you suggest?

Why not just buy non-waterproof makeup from The Dollar Tree? I bet that would melt lol.

Because some of my dollar tree makeup (I use EVERYTHING from good to complete crap, lol) doesn't always do what you'd think. Some of it actually works out well! I know I've got some great stuff using dollar tree makeup. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Especially that colored shimmer powder I've used for so many looks.

Use eyeshadow that is chalky and falls out (yes, I am talking about elf, the $1 line) without a primer, and other non-waterproof make up should take care of themselves.

You've reminded of one time I cried with cream eyeshadow and Revlon colorstay eyeliner on, when I stopped crying, my make up did not smudge, fade or anything
icon_cool.gif

I completely forgot about ELF! Definitely going to have to test run it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hehe, Sadly I'll be buying it and probably only using it this one time (I don't keep the bad stuff round long) It's specifically for a shoot idea. Everyone likes doing the waterfalls and all that bright happy swim stuff. I want to turn it into a bit more dark and different concept. I don't mean the girl from the ring either :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> haha.

I'm glad I reminded you of a cool makeup moment! Although sad that it had to include crying!

You can take some cream shadow and dilute it with water to make it all runny, then put it on and it'll look ruined! Same with mascara and eyeliner and stuff- just make sure you don't care enough for the products so you can ruin them XD

Cake mascara will run like crazy,and cake eye liner not a cream cake but one that dries to a powder like finish will work as well. cake liner comes in a variety of colors, try LaFemme. Krylon makes aqua color that would work for eyes, lips and cheeks. 

All lipsticks with any type of oil and or wax are water proof so stick to the water based products if you need a glossy look use a little KY jelly with a tapping motion no rubbing, if you use a regular lip gloss it will seal the color and water proof it.

In regard to mascara, any brand that isn't waterproof runs on me! I would also suggest some of the products with low price points, such as e.l.f. (though I do like some of their colors). It sounds like an interesting shoot!

Thank you all! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm definitely going to start buying up some more cheap stuff. The photographer I usually work with (Mike Serafin of Photons 2 Pixels: http://www.facebook.com/theofficialp2p ) is the one who was all like "That would look cool if done right!" I didn't have much of a choice but to agree since I've been thinking the same thing all winter! I want to see what sort of designs I can come up with using different techniques (pool, falls, eye dropper, etc) might make it a small series just for fun. It'll also help with some of the darker shoots we want to do. Just waiting for this kiddo to pop out so i can get back into shape to do all of it! In the meanwhile test runs on all these ideas and products! Love prep work!

My suggestion is to use loose mineral makeup and just cake it on, layers and layers loosely applied over each other.  Have you thought about using oil as well?  It is just about guaranteed to melt most makeup and can cause the water to bead up on the face for a messy look if you rub it in.  If you take some cheap, dark mineral makeup and mix it with oil and drip it down the sides of corners of the eyes to look like tear tracks, that could work.  Black would simulate running mascara and purples and blues would look like eyeshadow melting.  If you could get a red or pink pigment you could do something similar for smooshy, messed up lipstick.  And knowing that it's mineral makeup, you don't have to worry about it staining your models for good or harming them in any way.

We'd love to know how it turns out and what you find out about which products are most run worthy.  Sounds like a fascinating concept and could turn out very haunting and creative.  The photos from this ought to be amazing.  Good luck!

Verdict on cheap dollar store make up when just jumping into a shower or pool... None worked unless I scrubbed my face hard and turned my poor fair skin into a reddish raw meat color (easy to do). I don't know why. I used all sorts of dollar tree/dollar store makeup I could find. The cheapest of cheap eye shadow pallets of sorts. For some reason it just doesn't want to run down my face. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I did get a really cheap mascara to run a little bit... but not enough to satisfy me. Not fair at all. Phase 2... Saving money to buy some cream shadows and some other products like Cake and LaFemme as suggested.

I wonder if you could use some gel eye liner (elf has some for 3 bucks), apply a good amount of it with a brush or even fingers to the lower lash line and to the lashes over non waterproof mascara, then take a little bit of olive oil (or baby oil... anything that will "break down" the makeup) onto your hands and run your hands from your eyes down your face to streak it. Worth a shot!

Queen mascara by too faced runs terribly! I had a phootshoot yesterday and went under water and immediately came up and it was everywhere

Very interesting! MAC Smolder eye kohl runs terribly on me! I would also have to agree with the suggestions of using a little bit of oil to run along the lashes, eyeshadow to get it to break down and once u or the model comes out of the water, it should be everywhere. Good luck! I'd love to see how this turns out!

Haha, cake a bunch on. Like loads and loads... even wear liquid eyeliner.

Your face will be running like craaaaay!

haha, is it for like a photo shoot or music video?

Have you thought about just smudging it yourself. Like with your hands, lots more control over the look then! 

It is for a shoot :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm doing makeup testing still. I'm still debating on what I should wear. I'm thinking going with the cinderella look and getting a nice dress and rip it to shreds :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Just to give it that slap dash my night is ruined look. And then I'll probably make it a series or something with different water locations and different makeup running looks.

Originally Posted by Allure Lies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is for a shoot :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm doing makeup testing still. I'm still debating on what I should wear. I'm thinking going with the cinderella look and getting a nice dress and rip it to shreds :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Just to give it that slap dash my night is ruined look. And then I'll probably make it a series or something with different water locations and different makeup running looks.
 That sounds awesome! An Alice in Wonderland look would go over well with your makeup idea too... crying because she's lost, dress dirty and torn from falling through the hole. I would love to see how your photos turn out!

I had Benefit bad gal lash mascara on last week and was in a mushy mood and listening to love songs while I cleaned....Well

Sorry to be mushy..

I cried during a song and got the look from Beyonce's "Why don't you love me" Video make up all the way....The same exact runny mascara look...lol

Latest posts

Back