Life after severe acne

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I turned 19, I started to battle acne. I then went on accutane for 5 months at age 20. I was clear for a year and then by the age of 22, I started to break out again and the derm put me back on accutane. I am now 23 and it has been 8 months since I have been off of accutane. I am clear, however I am scared to death that I am going to start breaking out again. I used to wear make-up all of the time to cover my breakouts, but I havent touched the stuff for about a year now. I am so obsessed with my skin that I freak out if I get a little tiny pimple. I feel like it rules my life.....I just dont want to have to go through what I went through before. I have been doing the Murad acne complex for preventitive measures, and it seems to be working okay, but I dont know if its the Murad or the post accutane time frame. I am getting married in a month and am deathly afraid of wearing make-up for fear of breaking out, however I dont not want to wear make-up for fear I will make an ugly bride....sorry for the long post, i just need support and advice from people that know how I feel.

Hi Redluv, and welcome to MUT! I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations. I've never been on accutane, but I have had my share of horrific breakouts. They were mostly due to a change in hormones or stress. But I do know how it feels to be concerned that you're going to break out again after clearing up.

For your wedding day, you could certainly make up your eyes and lips, and perhaps even wear a noncomedogenic blush or bronzer. Just because you're concerned about makeup irritating your complexion, doesn't mean you can't do a partially made up face. BTW, no bride can be ugly on their wedding day, with or without makeup.

Good luck and congratulations on your engagement!

Thank you very much for your advice Nicole. It does mean a lot to me.

I am definetly going to do my eyes
smile.gif

congrats on having a clear face for this long.

i know stress is one of the reasons that people break out. so try to keep your stresss levels down. i know it's going to be hard because it's only a month away.

just try reminding yourself that it's only one day. nothing is perfect. so try not to worry about making things perfect. think more about the point of the day and not making sure the the napkins are folded right. lol.

if you want, you can try going to the derm soon to see if things are going ok. you don't want to get any facials so close to your wedding date since sometimes you can break from them cleansing your skin. when they cleanse or do a deep cleaning, it can bring stuff up.

so try to keep calm and drink water!

Yes Congrats on getting married soon! But remember stress can bring on breakouts too. Just remember it's your important day and nothing can spoil it. Try to use make-up that is hypoallergenic and doesn't have mineral oil and fragrances. Do your eyes, lips and a bronzer. You will look perfect no matter what. After the wedding I would find a good skin care system and stick with one that works for you. I know my friend has battled with acne and she started using Arbonne and has had a lot less problems with breakouts.

Well good luck with the wedding!!:icon_love

I am 27 and I share your pain. I had clear skin for most of my life but in college things changed and it hasn't been the same since. I think I had a break of a year or two and now I am clear but I know my face will never be the same. Of course my case of acne wasn't has severe as yours because I was never on acutane but I did take topical creams and antibiotics. The last time I saw my derm she was not so nice (come to think of it any derm I have seen are not that nice) and she couldn't believe I was still there because my skin was ok and she told me that like any women I will have breakouts sometimes and it is life. I blame the hormones.

I am off topical creams and antibiotics at this point but I take good care of my skin. I use Avene skin care line (Cleanance) to wash, exfoliate, moisturize, etc and I wear make-ups so you don't have to worry about it. I use oil-free make-up that way it is not damaging to my skin. You can wear make-up but just be sure you ask if the products are ok for people who had acne and can have it again. I know Stila is expensive but they work for me... MAC is also good. The way it works for me is that I wake up, wash my face, put on moisturize, do a little make up when I have to go to work and I wash it off at night (first I use MAC wipes to swipe away most of the make up and after that I clean with my avene product) and exfoliate. I do not wash my face more than 2 times a day except if I go to the gym and go somewhere after. I have an oily-skin in the summer (not so oily the rest of the year) so I don't want to make things worst by washing it more. I do not put moisturize at night because I don't like the feeling. I do use a mask every week to clean more my skin. Oh and I always have sunscreen on my face. So that's about it for my life after acne. I do obsess about it like you sometimes but I try to see that my skin gets better and better with times and I hope for the best. People are right, stress can cause pimples so better just enjoy one day at the time.

By the way congrats on your wedding and I hope you have a great day and enjoy it!

I agree with what everyone has to say, and no matter what you are going to look beautiful!!! Don't forget, that your husband to be thinks you are gorgeous no matter what!!! Out of all the women in the world, which is a heck of a lot, he chose you.

And I know this is hard to do, but try not to stress out. And one last thing, I know this was said before, but you can play up your eyes or lips as much as you want!!! Either dramatic eyes, neutral lips, or vice versa!!! Or, heck, you can play up both features!!! Good luck!

Everyone is giving a good advices.

I'd follow what Nicole says about working on eyes and lips.

If you don't feel comfortable wearing blush/bronzer than don't use it.

You're going to get married in a month, Congratulations!

Make sure you get yourself a good night sleep, try to avoid stress, and drink plenty of water (or lemon water).

I'm sure you're so excited, did you get your wedding dress yet?

I remember my mother was the one who was so excited when I got married lol.

Anyway, enjoy your upcoming wedding and good luck on your wedding day and keep us the update.

Everyone has been very helpful. I am very glad that I came to this board.

I am a very high strung person, so you are all right about the stress thing. I wonder if I should try yoga?

Yes, I do have my dress. It is ivory and sorta a mermaid fit. I have dark brown hair/hazel eyes and very fair skin...anyone have any ideas about what color eyeshadow to wear? I have thin lips....should I try to make them look bigger?

Again, thank you so much everyone!

Originally Posted by redluv Everyone has been very helpful. I am very glad that I came to this board.
I am a very high strung person, so you are all right about the stress thing. I wonder if I should try yoga?

Yes, I do have my dress. It is ivory and sorta a mermaid fit. I have dark brown hair/hazel eyes and very fair skin...anyone have any ideas about what color eyeshadow to wear? I have thin lips....should I try to make them look bigger?

Again, thank you so much everyone!

ooh. that sounds pretty! i say something kind of natural so you don't look at the pics in 15 years and cringe from wearing blue eye shadow or something. lol.

like a champagne colored shadow on the lid, with asemi dark medium brown shade in the crease to contour. and you can use the champagne on your browbone to highlight.

and lips you can do a "my lips but better color". you can of have to try on stuff though. go to a counter and get your makeup done before your wedding to see how you like it and what tips you can pick up if end up wanting to do your own makeup.

if your really worried about breaking out, MAC foundations are really iffy on people and have broken some people out. so just to be careful, i would stay away from their foundations.

You are totally right about the eye shadow color. I would hate to look tacky. I am going to go to the Mall tonight and check out Sephora and see what they have for make-up.....I will stay away from mac. Maybe I should just go with a tinted moisturizer???

Originally Posted by redluv You are totally right about the eye shadow color. I would hate to look tacky. I am going to go to the Mall tonight and check out Sephora and see what they have for make-up.....I will stay away from mac. Maybe I should just go with a tinted moisturizer??? Stila has a great tinted moisturizer that I use in the summer. Here is a link:http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...ategoryId=3865

One thing I would do also is ask someone at Sephora to try something on you. Tell the person what you like and don't like and explain how is your skin. They are usually very helpful. Hey I am in Canada and everytime I made a trip in the USA to shop at Sephora the girls are the best and so nice ... They will really do what you want and not put too much make up on you if you don't like it. People always laugh when I say I wear make up because they say it doesn't show well that is exactly what I want. I have fair skin so if I don't put some colors, I look sick so I wear make up to have some colors.

I know what you mean, everyone is constantly asking me if I am feeling okay ( I am so pale I look sick). I also have some dark circles under my eyes which make sme look tired. I really want to look good for the wedding so i might take the make-up plunge and just do it. At the same time I dont want to have regrets....arghhh decisions decisions...

Latest posts

Back