Life Before the Internet.....r/o

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cast your minds back to a life before the internet, when you had to visit shops (eek!) to buy anything and music downloads were just twinkles in the eyes of Shawn Fanning(Napster founder). Scary, isn't it?

Fortunately, unless we suffer an ice age, the web is here to stay. I'm keen to know what's the single most dramatic improvement in your life for which the internet is responsible for.

Please tell me. Go on. . .it'll make my day.
claps.gif

Being able to research things quickly without flipping through a million books!

Do you guys remember doing reports for school and sitting in the library with books all over the place and having to write everything down long hand? I think I still have my old set of Encyclopedia's at my mom's house! Can we say large paperweights!
icon_razz.gif

If it weren't for the net I wouldn't have met my bf... or gotten half of the jobs that I've had ... or gotten to be a secret shopper... or find out all of the stuff that I can find out by being a super snooper online... plus, I'd have nothing to do while I sit at work day in and day out...

i met my boyfriend online, weve been together for 2 years. so thats definetily the best thing ive gotten out of it, apart from great music and knowledge i could not have found anywhere else.

Staying in touch with my family while I'm away at school without paying tons of money for phone calls! (Although I still call every once in a while
wink.gif
)

The Internet also played a huge role in my wedding planning a year ago ... almost all of my ideas I got from wedding message boards (I found those bridal magazines and wedding planning books to be almost completely useless). We also got married in my hometown even though I was going to school far away, so my mom and I emailed every day (often several times a day) about the wedding so she could help me plan stuff back home! (Talk to the florist, buy supplies, etc.) Without the internet there's no way we could have pulled off a 9-month engagement while I was far away at school!
biggrin.gif

wow- i can't imagine it.. Wow! I mean, when i am going somewhere new. its off to the computer to google directions! Can't find a phone number? google it! Sheesh! And *google* is a word that most people understand.. yikes.. I remember doing payroll taxes by this big laminated NJ /Federal tax chart..and accounting (payable/receivables) by the OneWrite System! Which meant forms and a metal pegboard so you could write on one form and it would show up on the main sheet.. what a hassle!

I love shopping online (hate going to stores) , paying bills, looking up balances, booking plane tickets and hotels, emailing...and just about what everyone else touched on too...

I'd be lost without a fax machine, too !!!!

Tony,

I built my husband Tom a computer 10 years ago to teach myself computer know how...anyway....he met all kinds of other Wolfhounds (1/27th Army Infantry) he served with in Vietnam. They are all brothers again and have reunions several times a year! Without it...he would still have a severe problem with PTSD (Post Tramatic Stress Disorder). I thank the Lord everyday for that! Love ya's, Pammie

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Cast your minds back to a life before the internet, when you had to visit shops (eek!) to buy anything and music downloads were just twinkles in the eyes of Shawn Fanning(Napster founder). Scary, isn't it?
Fortunately, unless we suffer an ice age, the web is here to stay. I'm keen to know what's the single most dramatic improvement in your life for which the internet is responsible for.

claps.gif

SHOPPING!!!!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Cast your minds back to a life before the internet, when you had to visit shops (eek!) to buy anything and music downloads were just twinkles in the eyes of Shawn Fanning(Napster founder). Scary, isn't it?

claps.gif

well, i wouldn't have met my bf or any of my online friends
icon_cry.gif

would probably have still been in school since the internet distracted me too much. lol

wouldn't know too much about clothes and makeup since I look at a lot of stuffonline.

Not having to fo to the library to do research for school.

Also, the internet and email had enabled me to keep in touch with my family and friends in Mexico. Before, I really didn't know what was going on with them and now we are really close.

Originally Posted by redrocks

Being able to research things quickly without flipping through a million books!

Do you guys remember doing reports for school and sitting in the library with books all over the place and having to write everything down long hand? I think I still have my old set of Encyclopedia's at my mom's house! Can we say large paperweights!
icon_razz.gif

OMG REDROCKS, I remember the HUGE Encyclopedia set also!!

Originally Posted by lovesboxers I can think of a few.....online banking-bill pay.....MuT....ebay.....staying connected! also all the research that can be done on EVERYTHING!!

Latest posts

Back