Lip color eyeliner photos

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having a ton of trouble getting photos of lipstick/colors. The swatches are fine, and I'm getting the hang of taking pictures of all the other stuff, however I can't seem to get the color to look right when I take pictures of lip/eye color that i'm WEARING.  Even when I have tons of lighting it still looks like i'm not wearing anything at all, even though the color is really obvious in person!

Any suggestions?

I have terrible luck with cameras, i've had 4-5 in the past and all of them have broken within a year. I treat them so well I don't know why that happens! So I stopped buying them because it was getting ridiculous. I use my phone's camera (I have an HTC Evo) and it's 8 megapixels. I guess I can't expect too much from a phone but I don't know why those are the only pictures that don't come out right...

Most true digital compact cameras have balances that help fix the color situations based on lighting. The only time EVER and I mean ever that you will get true color in an image without outside aid is if are taking a photo outside on a very bright and sunny day (during hours of 10a-3pm).

Any other time the sun, clouds, indoor lights will cause the colors to change from their natural color. Cloudy or dark lighting give off blue tints, tungsten indoor lights give off amber lighting, fluorescent a greenish color. So it is best to use a real camera that can handle converting those tints back to the correct coloring. No amount of lighting will fix these tints. 

But you can always use a photo editing software to fix the coloration issues. Photoshop has photo filters that fix coloration issues pretty well and with one click of the button, or you can sit there and fiddle with colors. But these softwares are expensive, so best to use a digital camera :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And if you are looking to get a new one. My favorites are Canon or Sony. They tend to have very good saturation and color balance which helps with all of our color-based photos.

If you have any photo questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I'm in a hardcore photography class right now for school and learning all kinds of tricks. 

Thanks for the advice! I may have to get one before I go to Italy this summer anyway.

But in the mean time I'm pretty much stuck with crappy lip/eye photos huh? There's nothing I can do to make them a little better?

I feel your pain. I only have my iphone camera (iPhone 4s with 8mp) and have to take up to 20 - 30 photos before I find one I really like and shows the colors I am wearing.

Until you can get a beefier camera, all I can suggest is playing with angles and outside lighting until you get the specs for your camera down.

id say stick to taking photos during the daytime, and outside. helps if you have a backyard so people dont stare at you like you are crazy, lol. 

you could also look to using photoshop express. it is a free web service that lets you switch up a lot of the issues that most novice photographers have. Including color balance, exposure, adding brightness to just the dark areas, etc.

http://www.photoshop.com/tools/expresseditor

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel your pain. I only have my iphone camera (iPhone 4s with 8mp) and have to take up to 20 - 30 photos before I find one I really like and shows the colors I am wearing.

Until you can get a beefier camera, all I can suggest is playing with angles and outside lighting until you get the specs for your camera down.

This, and even with a beefier camera you have to do the same thing lol. Probably less time fussing to get it right, but all cameras have a learning curve.

Are there any parks nearby? They are great places for photos. Not hard to find a quiet spot without people watching you take pictures of yourself lol. Trees usually give you filtered light too.

Ooh I'm having the same issue with colors not coming out right and getting a blue tint indoors. I guess I'll need to try braving it and take the photo outdoors! 
icon_redface.gif

Thanks for the advice ladies!

Latest posts

Back