LIP COLOR PROBLEM - what would you do?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all

i have a problem with lipstick when i apply it to my lips, the thing is i love light pinky colours as i tend to do my eyes up more plus i have black hair so i think the light pinks really set off my skintone well, however no matter what pink shade i purchase when i apply it, it goes towards a purple/lilac shade.

does this have to do with the level of acidity on my lips? soemone told me it could be due to that and that the same lipstaick shade can look different from one person to the next, if so how do i tackle this? i have tried applying a lip base/primer (smashbox & origins) before applying lipstick but that makes no difference to the problem.

which colours do you think i should go for that will turn into the light pink shades im wanting to achieve?

has anyone ever had this problem??
icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by redmonkey786 hi all
i have a problem with lipstick when i apply it to my lips, the thing is i love light pinky colours as i tend to do my eyes up more plus i have black hair so i think the light pinks really set off my skintone well, however no matter what pink shade i purchase when i apply it, it goes towards a purple/lilac shade.

does this have to do with the level of acidity on my lips? soemone told me it could be due to that and that the same lipstaick shade can look different from one person to the next, if so how do i tackle this? i have tried applying a lip base/primer (smashbox & origins) before applying lipstick but that makes no difference to the problem.

which colours do you think i should go for that will turn into the light pink shades im wanting to achieve?

icon_sad.gif

This doesn't happen to me, so I am not really sure why it changes, but I know that many people have problems with lipsticks turning fuschia on them. The only thing I can think of is to try a more red-based pink, as opposed to a blue-based one. I can't think of any colors to reccommend, but I'm sure some of the other girls will jump in with more helpful info!

Of course lipsticks shades can look different from one person to the next!I love pink lipsticks too and I bought many and when I try them on at home turn to be more mauve or lilac!Now when I buy a lipstick I ALWAYS try it before at the counter to see hoe it looks on me!!

Originally Posted by redmonkey786 hi all

icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by Sophia Of course lipsticks shades can look different from one person to the next!I love pink lipsticks too and I bought many and when I try them on at home turn to be more mauve or lilac!Now when I buy a lipstick I ALWAYS try it before at the counter to see hoe it looks on me!! Ditto on trying it at the counter before you buy.
And I've seen people put foundation on their lips before putting lipsticks. I'm not sure the difference between doing that and putting the primer on, but definitely worth a try..
wink.gif

Yes, I have heard of this before, actually more women have problems with lipstick turning orangy on them too. IT has alot to do with your ph level etc. According to my training, nothing can be put on your lips to prevent this, however you will need to experament with colors that are similar color depth but go slightly warmer if you want it to "turn pink" for instance, if Mary kay's Dusty Rose lipstick turned purple on you, than you will need to try cantalope or toffee (warmer colors but similar color depth) to have it turn pink. VIse versa for lips that turn orange, You are supposed to put on cooler undertone lipsticks if you want your lips to Turn into the shade that you relly want. YOu have pretty much a game now, to try to find what various shades of warmer colors turn into on your lips. I would certanly buy lipsticks from places that would let you use/try a sample. BUt wear it all day, I am sure it slowly gets more purple through the day..?? Putting on concealer under your lipstick will help a tiny bit, but you will still need to play arround with your ph and see what contrdicting colors turn into on your lips over time. I hope that helps.
smile.gif

I think I have to opposite problem, "nude" or "peach" colors always turn orange/brassy on me. Everything I buy has to be a "cool" color, I guess that means it's blue based. I'm wondering if you don't have the same problem with blush?

Hi! I have this problem too. Everything seems to turn orangey-brown on me. Benefit sells a nuetral colored lip primer called Lip Plump! I pat a thin layer all over my lips and let it dry. It takes all of the color out of my lips so what ever lipstick I put on the true color shows up. It is wax-based so the lip color sticks to it and stays longer too. Hope this helps, works for me!

Originally Posted by Cirean I think I have to opposite problem, "nude" or "peach" colors always turn orange/brassy on me. Everything I buy has to be a "cool" color, I guess that means it's blue based. I'm wondering if you don't have the same problem with blush? I have this problem with blush too. I have a very cool complexion and everything turns orangey on me. I just choose very cool colors now, they seem to look better on me.

Does the same thing happen with lip liners or lip glosses?? If you just can't find a lipstick that works perhaps you would have better luck with lip liners or glosses.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby Benefit sells a nuetral colored lip primer called Lip Plump! I pat a thin layer all over my lips and let it dry. It takes all of the color out of my lips so what ever lipstick I put on the true color shows up. It is wax-based so the lip color sticks to it and stays longer too. Hope this helps, works for me! i was gonna recommend that, too
smile.gif
i have the problem about "nudes" turning orange on me and it's aggravating! plump! definitely helps.
oh, and don't put foundation on your lips like a lot of people do because foundations contain an ingredient (not sure if all of them have it) that is very dangerous if it goes into your mouth. i'm trying to look it up, but i can't for the life of me find it
icon_twisted.gif

I have "Lip Plump" on my wishlist for Fall/Winter since I wear gloss or Lip Venom all summer. Can you use it under light colored gloss?

many thanks for your advice girls that really helped, im going to try the benefit lip plump and see if it can help but i think il have to play around with many lippy colours before i find the ones i need

cheers again you all fanstastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi redmonkey786, my name is stephanie. I love the lipstick or gloss your wearing in you avi. Could tell me the brand, color and where I can get it? I have dark brown eyes too and I think I'd really like it. Thanks!

i find that a matching gloss over any lipstick intensified the colour, maybe its worth trying that too?

Latest posts

Back