Long Lost Fragrances - Bringing Back

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
<TABLE class=splash><TBODY><TR><TD class=splash>Bringing Back the Traditional Craftsman Perfumer

</TD></TR><!--- Story 1 Author ---><TR><TD class=splash>by Bonnie Kim Taylor

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If you’ve never heard of Editions de Parfums from Frederic Malle, read closely, you’re in for a treat. Frederic Malle has enabled a collection of distinctive perfumes by individual craftsman perfumers that may very well be some of the best on the planet. Luxurious perfumes have become rarer since “noses†(perfumers) have been constrained by financial and marketing concerns, so Malle created Editions de Parfums as an alternative company where craftsman perfumers can fully express themselves.

Many of the fragrances under Malle’s umbrella are experimental and artful, and are the types of perfumes you simply can’t find anywhere else. Malle’s perfume artisans were given free rein financially and creatively, and the collective result is very impressive. Sampling of Malle’s perfume collection is like viewing great works of art in a museum or hearing various musical compositions, and Malle wanted these comparisons to be made, for great perfumers really are great artists.

Pierre Bourdon is a Malle perfumer and the creator of Iris Poudre, a floral composed of magnolia, carnation, lily of the valley, ebony, vanilla and iris, among other unique touches. Bourdon’s artistic perfuming style is bold and innovative.

Olivia Giacobetti created her own perfume company called Iskia, yet wanted to contribute to Malle’s collection. Her inspiration comes from the bounty of fragrances found in natural settings: barks, woods, quince, sand, the smell of temples, and linen sheets. Her perfume in the colelction, En Passant, contains white lilac, water, cucumber, orange, and wheat.

Jean-Claude Ellena was born into a family of perfumers in Grasse, France, and began composing perfumes at seventeen. He loves the scents of everyday life: wax, clean floors, spices, yogurt, an old sweater, chocolate, tea. His contribution, Cologne Bigarade, is a light cologne with a bold, bitter orange formula that leaves the wearer with a fresh feeling. It also contains cardamom, cedar wood, hay, and pepper.

Maurice Roucel’s Musc Ravageur is the ultimate in sensual fragrance, a heady mix of sweet amber, musk, lavendar, tonka bean, coumarine, clove, bergamot,cedar, and vanilla. Une Fleur De Cassie by Dominique Ropion is a novel fragrance based around the scent of the warm-smelling cassie flower, and fine artist Edmond Roudnitska’s Le Parfum De Therese is an intoxicating mix of nutmeg, plum, violet, melon, mandarin, jasmine, pepper, vetiver, and leather. Noir Epices by Michel Roudnitska, director of Art & Parfum, is a distinctive woody oriental. Lipstick Rose by Ralf Schwieger is an aria to femininity and a powdered floral, and Lys Mediterranee by Edouard Flechier (also born in Grasse, France) is a precise blend of water-lily, ginger-lily, lily of the valley, anjelica root, orange and ambrette seeds designed to evoke a gorgeous summer evening near the spray of the Mediterranean shore.

Malle also offers a test kit, a box filled with 9 x 5 ml lab bottles so you can mix and match to create your own fragrant masterpiece. What will you call it? The Frederic Malle line can be found at Barney’s or 888-8-BARNEYS. Another craftsman perfumer any lover of fragrance should know about is Gerard Casassus, a perfumer located in mountainous Lantosque an hour from Nice in France. He lives and works in a farmhouse built in 1650, and his company was formed twelve years ago in Grasse, the French heart of the perfume business. His web site, http://www.6emesens.com, offers 60 different fragrances and 600 products in total, many of them wholly natural and hand-made. Check out the list of bestsellers on the site, enjoy the picture of France, and then wrap yourself in one of Gerard Casassus’s floral fragrance designs.

<!--- End Story 1 --->

<!--- Start Story 2 ---><TABLE class=splash><TBODY><TR><!--- Story 1 Title ---><TD class=splash>Reincarnating the Beloved Lost Perfume

</TD></TR><!--- Story 2 Author ---><TR><TD class=splash>by Bonnie Kim Taylor

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Remember that perfume you were crazy about in college, or on your honeymoon in Tunisia, or when still married to your madcap first husband? Did you really love your mother's Odalisque and wish you could inhale it again? You can reach back in time to experience fragrances of the past through www.longlostperfume.com, and you won't be disappointed. Each perfume is a dedicated, quality replication.

Nellie Rosenstein, the American designer credited with popularizing the "little black dress," introduced Odalisque in the 1950s by spraying it from crop-duster airplanes in skies across midwestern cities. Talk about an effective public relations campaign! This perfume, along with olfactory jewels like Infinite Grace, Tuxedo, Replique, Bakir, Bond Street, Maroc, Tuvache Tuvara, My Sin, Apple Blossom, and Sortilege are lovingly concocted for anyone with retro fragrance nostalgia that just won't go away.

In addition to providing vintage perfumes, Long Lost Perfume will also match rare or hard-to-find fragrances that are currently being found only overseas. This isn't a pilfering of current brands, but rather a service that fills in the gaps for perfume users. There are three reasons why customers request perfumes through Long Lost Perfume, and why the company will provide the fragrance under a new name: a fragrance may still be sold on the market, but the current owner has "modernized" the scent, taking it away from the original olfactive character (which can be recaptured). Second, some perfumes are discontinued but still trademarked, and finally, some perfumes are still sold in certain markets around the world, but are impossible to find. Go vintage with your perfume by checking out www.longlostperfume.com. The graphics are pretty mod too.

<!--- End Story 2 --->

thanks for those articles diane. the first one was a really interesting read. now i have more fragrances to add to my list of things to try.

im off to check out the site mentioned in the second one.

Welcome
smile.gif
Oh cool, tell us what you find!

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse thanks for those articles diane. the first one was a really interesting read. now i have more fragrances to add to my list of things to try.
im off to check out the site mentioned in the second one.

id really like to try that apple blossom fragrance. it sounds lovely. i lol-ed at the part about a modern apple fragrance smelling like cut apples in a bucket of water.

id also give my right arm for a decent cherry blossom scent. i do like guerlain cherry blossom, but it doesnt smell exactly on.

Yes it does. LOL I love eating cherries and I love the smell of them. That would be a nice fragrance or a Cherry vanilla. That would be sweet smelling.

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse id really like to try that apple blossom fragrance. it sounds lovely. i lol-ed at the part about a modern apple fragrance smelling like cut apples in a bucket of water.
id also give my right arm for a decent cherry blossom scent. i do like guerlain cherry blossom, but it doesnt smell exactly on.

Latest posts

Back