Lots of Skin Care Tips

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Know your Skin Type

The first step towards beautiful skin is working out what your skin type is. This is necessary so that you can work out how to care for your skin, and what products you should use. Below are the features of the 5 main skin types which you can compare to your own skin type. Once you have decided what type your skin is you can find out what the best way is to look after your skin.

Which of these do you think is the closest match to your skin?

Normal Skin Type

Normal skin does not feel dry or oily.

Pores are visible but not large or clogged.

After a wash it feels smooth and comfortable.

At midday it still looks fresh and clean.

Only occasionally break out in spots.

Caring for Normal Skin Type:

To care for normal skin you should start with a gentle foaming facial wash. Massaging it into your face will give you a rosy complexion. Cool your skin with a refreshing toner. to finish dot moisturiser onto your skin and massage it with your fingers in light upward strokes.

Dry Skin Type

Dry skin has a thin and papery texture.

It feels dry to touch.

The pores are very fine.

After a wash it feels tight, as though it is too small for the face.

By midday flaky patches appear.

Hardly ever break out in spots.

Caring for Dry Skin Type:

For dry skin use a creamy cleanser to melt away dirt. Leave it on your skin before sweeping it away with cotton wool. Splash cold water onto your face to clean and refresh your skin. Use a thick cream moisturiser to seal in as much moisture as possible.

Home remedies for dry skin

1) Make a puree of 1 banana and 1 papaya, peach or avacado. Apply to skin. Leave on for at least 20 minutes then rinse with warm water, followed by a moisturizer of natural margarine or natural vegetable oil.

2) Apply natural mayonnaise, either homemade or from natural foods store. Massage into skin, leave on for 15-20 minutes, rinse thoroughly with warm water.

Oily Skin Type

Oily skin feels very greasy.

The texture is often very thick and coarse.

There are large, visible pores.

After a wash it feels fine.

By midday it looks shiny.

Often break out in spots.

Caring for Oily Skin Type:

To care for oily skin you should start with a gentle, foaming facial wash. This will remove dirt and oil without stripping away moisture. Soak cotton wool in a gentle astringent lotion and sweep it over your skin to refresh and cool it. Even oily skin needs a moisturiser, but chose a light, watery fluid; this will be enough for your skin. Allow the moisturiser to sink in and then absorb the excess with a tissue to prevent shine.

Home remedies for oily skin

1) Make a puree of fresh tomatoes, apply to the skin

2) Beat together 1 egg white, 1 tsp spirits of camphor, 1 heaping Tbsp skim milk powder and a scant drop of essential oil of mint. First apply a thin film of odorless castor oil to the skin , then apply a thick layer of the egg white mask. Lie back for about 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water, then rinse with an apple cider vinegar and

Combination Skin Type

Combination skin is normal with a few dry patches and a few oily patches.

Dryness is usually on the cheeks.

Oiliness is usually on the T-zone.

After a wash some areas feel dry and some smooth.

By the midday the T-zone is shiny.

Often break out in spots in the T-zone.

Most women have combination skin.

Caring for Combination Skin Type:

If you have combination skin use a foaming facial wash in the mornings to cleanse your skin. This will keep the oily areas clean to prevent blackheads. In the evening use a cream cleanser to soothe your dry areas. This will keep a balance between excess dryness and excess oiliness. Use a strong astringent for your oily areas and a mild skin freshener for the dry areas. This is not an expensive option, as you will only need a little of each. Use moisturiser on your whole face, but make sure you concentrate on your drier areas.

Sensitive Skin Type

Sensitive skin can be easily irritated.

Typical reactions are itching, burning, chafing and stinging.

After a wash a wash it feels dry and itchy in places.

By midday there are flaky patches and some redness.

Occasionally break out in spots.

Caring for Sensitive Skin Type:

If you have sensitive skin do not use facial washes or soap; instead use a light, hypoallergenic cleansing lotion. Use a moisturiser to strengthen your skin and provide a barrier against irritants. Make sure you use an fragrance free moisturizer so as not to irritate your skin.

Homemade natural recipes for sensitive skin

CLEANSERS

-Sweet almond and jojoba oil: massage gently, remove with warm cloth

-Papaya: mash and smooth over face, massage gently, remove

TONERS

-Herbal: 1oz dried/3 big handfuls fresh COMFREY, 600ml water. Heat herbs in water slowly, tightly covered. do not boil, remove from heat, infuse overnight. Use as a regular toner. Keep refrigerated, use within 3 days.

EXFOLIATORS

-grapefruit and oatmeal: add 3-4 tablespoons of oatmeal to the juice of a grapefruit. Mix to thick paste. Spread on face and leave on 15 minutes, remove with warm water.

MASKS

-grapes - mashed: cooling, soothing nourishing tonic.

-peach - mashed: soothing, texture refining

-cucumber and yoghurt: mashed together, add clay powder to smooth the mixture. Leave 10 minutes. Remove with lukewarm water. A cooling, soothing and toning mask.

OILS

-camomile

-rose

Acne & blackheads Home Remedies

1. Put toothpaste on your pimple before you go to bed, should help reduce swelling overnight. Make sure it is the paste not the gel. One of the most popular acne home remedies.

2. Wash your face twice a day in warm salty water. This should leave your face oil free without aggravating the acne.

3. Apply a paste of fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves over the face every night for 10-15 minutes and washed with warm water. This will prevent acne, pimples, blackheads, and wrinkles.

4. Place strawberry leaves on the acne, the alkalinity helps to reduce the swelling.

5. Extract juice of one lemon and mix with equal quantity of rose water. Apply this mixture on the face and let it stay for about half an hour. Wash the face with fresh water. About 15 days application helps cure acne, pimples and reduces blemishes and scars.

6. Another method is to massage the face with the skin of lemon before washing with lukewarm water.

7. Apply fresh mint juice over the face every night for the treatment of acne, pimples, insect stings, eczema, scabies, & other skin infections.

8. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. At least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables should be included in your diet. All acne home remedies should include a healthy diet.

9. A couple of garlic cloves, crushed and dabbed on the face 1-2 times a day. One of the smellier acne home remedies!

10. Home face wash for acne: Mix together 1 or 2mls each of the following: witch hazel, tea-tree and sweet fennel essential oils, adding essential oil of geranium for women and essential oil of rosewood for men. Mix with 300mls of water. Shake before use, as the oils will float on top of the water during storage. Dab affected areas with cotton wool two or three times a day. The oils will clean and unclog giving antibiotic-like protection to the skin.

11. Apply fresh lemon juice on the affected area overnight. Wash off with warm water next morning.

12. Use 2-3 tsp. dried basil leaves to 1 cup boiling water. Steep 10-20 minutes. Cool, and apply with cotton ball.

13. Grind orange peel with some water to a paste and apply on affected parts. One of the best acne home remedies.

14. Clean face with cotton wool dipped in rose water 2-3 times a day.

15. Mix 1 teaspoon lemon juice in 1 teaspoon finely ground cinnamon powder and apply on affected areas frequently.

16. Nettle Tea is another solution, this tea has a herb that has some curing power and really helps work wonders on skin problems. Drink four cups a day to get the full benefit of one of the most powerful acne home remedies. .

17. Aloe Vera juice applied twice a day can greatly speed up the healing of acne lesions.

18. Another lotion that uses bee propolis extract may also be effective. Mix eight ounces of water and 11 drops of bee propolis extract. One of the acne home remedies which has been proven effective with many people.

19. Some herbal acne home remedies...

Burdock leaf tea.

Lavender essential oil (mix 1:10 with water)

Tincture of calendula flowers.

Tea tree essential oil (mix 1:10 with water)

Liquefy cabbage leaves with witch hazel, strain and add two drops of lemon oil. Use as a lotion.

20. Ice down the acne before bed, by morning it should be noticeably less swollen. Works best on larger pimples that have not yet formed a head.

21. Take vitamin B5 and zinc supplements daily to strengthen the skin's resistance to acne.

22. Mix mint juice with turmeric powder and apply on affected area. Leave for 15-30 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.

23. Mix some vinegar and salt in a bowl. Pour a little bit in your hand and rub it on the pimples. Soak a face towel in it and dab it on the bumps. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and rinse it off.

24. Blend cucumber and make a paste. Apply this as a mask on your face and leave it for 1/2 hour and then rinse. This refreshes your skin and prevents acne.

25. Mix corn flour with egg white and apply on your face. Let is dry completely for 1/2 hour. Dip your hands in warm water and massage your face and wash off. This when repeated regularly gives you a smooth skin.

26. Mix sandalwood paste with rosewater and apply on the face. Rinse off after 30 minutes.

27. Essential oil face mask for acne: Use a mask base powder, such as fuller's earth or kaolin powder. Use distilled or filtered water to make a paste. Mix 1 heaped teaspoon of base powder to 3 drops of essential oil. Add approximately 2 tablespoons of the water in, to make a fluid yet balanced paste. Essential oils to add in the mask either separately or try smaller amounts together; cypress oil 1 drop, lemon oil 2 drops, sage oil 1 drop.

28. Mix the paste of tender neem leaves with turmeric and apply of affected area. An eastern approach to acne home remedies.

29. Grind some nutmeg with milk and apply on affected area. Pimples disappear like magic without leaving a mark.

30. Make a mixture of lime juice and rose water. Apply on face and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water.

31. Make a paste by mixing 3 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Apply this paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash it next morning with warm water. Repeat for two weeks, pimples will disappear forever.

32. Rub fresh garlic on and around pimples. Pimples will disappear without a mark with regular applications.

33. Mix 1 tsps groundnut oil with 1 tspn fresh lime juice to prevent formation of blackheads and pimples .

34. Ground drumstick pods and leaves and mix mixed with fresh lime juice, and apply on pimples. This is also good for blackheads and dark spots.

35. First wash face and then dab acne with cotton balls soaked in vinegar.

36. Mix groundnut oil with an equal amtount of fresh lime juice and apply on face. leave for 10-15 minutes and wash. It may be applied daily to prevent formation of blackheads, acne and pimples.

37. Apply juice of raw papaya (including the skin and seed) on swelling acne, pimples.

38. Apply fresh lime juice mixed to a glass of boiled milk as a face wash for acne, pimples, blackheads, and cracked skin.

39. Apply ripe Tomatoes pulp on acne, pimples and kept upto 1 hour, then wash.

40. Make a paste of roasted & powdered pomgranate skin with fresh lime juice and apply over acne, boils, pimple, blackheads and whiteheads.

41. Apply grated potatoes as poultice to treat skin blemishes, wrinkles, boils, pimples, blackheads, whiteheads , etc.

42. Make a paste of ground radish seeds with water and apply on face to remove blackheads.

43. Apply a paste of ground seasame seeds with water as poultice for inflammation of the skin due to allergies, skin rashes, and pimples.

44. Large pores on facial skin can be treated with paste of sandalwood powder with masoor dal.

45. Use an oatmeal or almond mask throughly to cleanse your face. Mix either oatmeal or almond powder with enough rose water to make a soft paste that spreads easily on the skin. Rub it on your skin with your fingertips, paying special attention the problem areas. Leave to dry for about 15 minutes and then rinse off with cold water. This is very good in getting rid of blackheads.

46. A solution made out of one and a half cups of hot water and half a tablespoon of boric powder is an ideal remedy for blackheads, Saturate a face napkin in this hot solution and press on to the skin, repeat twice. Extract blackheads carefully with a blackhead remover and sterilized cottonwool. Pat on an astrigent.

Rub a rind of lemon over your face, this will lessen grease and whiten your complexion

To soften your hands, soak them in warm milk for 5 to 10 minutes twice a week. The lactic acid in the milk softens and hydrates your skin. You could also pour a cup of powdered milk under the tap while filling the tub. The lactic acid in the milk smooths away dry and itchy skin and leaves your skin baby soft! Try to do this at least once a week, and feel the difference within a month.

Baking soda helps remove the conditioner build-up from your hair. Massage your hair with it and then rinse thoroughly, followed by your regular shampoo. If you have dry hair, try mayonnaise as it's a great conditioner. Depending on the length of your locks, apply approximately half a cup of mayonnaise to your hair. Leave it on for at least 15 minutes to let it work, it's magic. Rinse well and then shampoo as usual.

A treatment mask will work faster if you apply it in a steamy bathroom. The steam speeds the penetration of nutrients into skin - so you can rinse the mask off after just five to ten minutes(rather than the usual 15 or 20) and still get the full benefit.

Never forget to cleanse your make-up off thoroughly before going to bed, so that your skin can breathe freely at night.

Vinegar makes an excellent mouthwash: use equal parts vinegar and water. When applied as an after-shampoo rinse, it ensures soap-free glossy hair; this is particularly effective for a brunette. Add 230 ml (1 cupful) of vinegar to the bath to make it tonic and refreshing; or simply use a footbath.

Mineral water is an ideal skin freshener. Decant some into a natural spray container and use to tone your complexion after cleansing, to set make-up, or simply to refresh you

Fantastic article Diane.. thanks for posting that. I've been having some issues with my skin recently but thank god it seems to have gone back to normal now. Gonna try out some of these tips though to keep it in tip top condition!

I think the most common mistakes for skin care is 1, they dont use it twice a day, and 2, they dont use a complete skin care prograhm. many women believe the only need a good cleanser and then they are not getting cleaned properly. I dont care what brand someone is using, I think it is IMPERATIVE taht they use a cleanser, toner, mask, moisture, and foundation. Oh yeah... another common mistake is that they use the wrong formula for thier skin type. (ty by the way for the skin type tips below)

Great tips
biggrin.gif

thank you for compiling all these in one post!! will definitely be checking back =D

Thanks for posting. I'm going to give some of those home-made masks a try.

Great recipes - I'm definitely going to try some of these! I have a couple of favorite home-made masks that I use all the time:

Yeast and Lemon Juice - mix enough active dry yeast with fresh lemon juice to form a paste. You can let it dry and rinse after about 20 minutes, or you can spot-treat zits and leave it on them overnight.

Yogurt and Lemon Juice - Mix a little plain yogurt with fresh lemon juice and apply to your skin. Let it absorb for at 20 minutes or more. You can also add some honey to this mask. Honey is a natural anti-bacterial (good for acne) and is also a natural humectant so it won't dry your skin out. If you have drier skin, try whole-milk yogurt, and oilier skin types can use non-fat yogurt.

I've always been tortured by blackheads and these home-made remedies are the best thing I've ever tried! They work so well I've stopped buying expensive masks, exfoliants and other treatments. I'm thinking of taking a vacation with all the money I've been saving. ;-)

One other natural remedy that I like for pimples is tea tree oil. It's a natural antiseptic from the melaleuca tree that grows in Australia. I buy it in a blemish formula, because straight tea tree oil can be a little harsh. A company called Desert Essence makes one and so does the Body Shop. It's good for drying pimples and it also works on insect bites, minor cuts, and shaving/waxing bumps and ingrown hairs. It's awesome.

For oily skin and acne, you can also do a home steaming facial by adding tea tree oil to a pot of steaming water and holding your face over it for up to 10 minutes (being careful to avoid burning yourself, of course!)

Anything "Tea Tree" is great on my oily skin, but irritates my eyelids...I don't put it near my eyes, but it always seems to migrate....

OMgosh!! Thanks so much for this thread!! I have such oily acne prone skin. I can't wait to try some of the home remedies!

Thanks for the thread! I think there are really great tips in there, and I'm always looking for more natural ways to get rid of my acne. For me personally, though, I have never found the whole 'skin type' thing helpful. My skin fits into like all of those categories.

Latest posts

Back