Louisiana Crab Cakes with Creole Tartar Sauce

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Louisiana Crab Cakes with Creole Tartar Sauce

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"><TBODY><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>From Cooking Light</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
clear.gif

The Maryland classic goes Creole with a double dose of spicy, vinegary hot pepper sauce in the tartar sauce and the crab cakes. The tartar sauce stands for 10 minutes to let the flavors meld, but you can make it up to a day ahead and store it, covered, in the refrigerator. Lump crabmeat makes great crab cakes, but they're prone to falling apart. Handle them patiently and gently for the best results.

clear.gif

Tartar sauce:

1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise

3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish

2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed

1 teaspoon Creole mustard

1/4 teaspoon salt-free Cajun-Creole seasoning (such as The Spice Hunter)

1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)

Crab cakes:

4 (1-ounce) slices white bread

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 large egg white, lightly beaten

4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided

Fresh parsley sprigs (optional)

Lemon wedges (optional)

To prepare tartar sauce, combine first 6 ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 10 minutes.

To prepare crab cakes, place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 2 cups. Combine 1 cup breadcrumbs, onion, and next 8 ingredients (through egg white); mix well. Divide crab mixture into 8 equal portions. Form each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place 1 cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Dredge patties, one at a time, in breadcrumbs. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties. Serve with tartar sauce. Garnish with parsley sprigs and lemon wedges, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 crab cakes and 2 tablespoons tartar sauce)

<SCRIPT xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">writeNutrient();</SCRIPT>NUTRITION PER SERVING

CALORIES 331(30% from fat); FAT 11g(sat 1.8g,mono 2.6g,poly 5.3g); PROTEIN 28.2g; CHOLESTEROL 167mg; CALCIUM 163mg; SODIUM 992mg; FIBER 1.4g; IRON 2.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 29.1g

David Bonom

Cooking Light, JULY 2004

thanks for posting!
smile.gif
i usually do martha stewarts crab cakes. i made them one year for the big banquet at culinary school, and they were such a hit that they were added to the weekly menu of my special cuisines class.

have you ever made 1000 appetizer sized crab cakes in one sitting? lol. i dont think ive had them since. i do love them, though. i think ill have to make them sometime soon. lump crabmeat....ill have to take out a loan. lol.

i like the spicy cajun twist.

Originally Posted by haloinrverse thanks for posting!
smile.gif
i usually do martha stewarts crab cakes. i made them one year for the big banquet at culinary school, and they were such a hit that they were added to the weekly menu of my special cuisines class.
have you ever made 1000 appetizer sized crab cakes in one sitting? lol. i dont think ive had them since. i do love them, though. i think ill have to make them sometime soon. lump crabmeat....ill have to take out a loan. lol.

i like the spicy cajun twist.

1000? Wow! never did that many crab cakes, I did make about 50 cupcakes for a bake sale a while back, about the first 20 of em I decorated all pretty and such, the last ones I said "Enough of that" and just chucked some icing on em
icon_lol.gif

lol. i hear ya. it got so that making so many of one thing felt normal. now when i get to cook for two, it seems like a treat, and very quick.

Latest posts

Back