Love The Site.....Hate The Navigation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just joined today and have to say this is the most amazing site ever! I was looking for something exactly like this. What better way to be better informed before buying expensive beauty products, than to come here and hear other consumers advice, who've tried it before?

The only problem is with so many reviews being added daily, the navigation is extremely frustrating to me and not very 'user friendly'. When searching for a particular brand name product review, I had to actually pour through over 25 pages to find that the product review wasn't even there!
icon_frown.gif
How time consuming THAT was!

I contacted customer support suggesting that not only categories be alphabetized, but sub-categories as well, for easier navigation. Something along the lines that Ebay does would be so much more helpful in finding product reviews faster.

I'm not sure if anyone else has a problem with it....or maybe it's just me?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Not sure about the searching/sub forum part...

But there is a review contest going on right now, so that is why there are a lot of reviews being submitted
smile.gif

the site takes a little getting used to, but that's because there's a lot to the site. instead of just a forum where we chat about things, we have a picture gallery, swap center, and review center. so take your time and if you have a question, feel free to post a thread or PM a mod
smile.gif

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to MuT! I'm Janelle from NY - nice to meet you!
smile.gif

Sorry to hear you're having trouble... I agree with Liz, I'm not sure exactly where you're having the problem, but might be because of the review contest ?
icon_neutral.gif

sorry to hear of your troubles going through the reviews. i have a little trouble from time to time as well. Welcome to mut!! I'm Devin from Houston!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Hi DIVA,

How are you. First of all, I wanted to WELCOME you to MakeupTalk! I'm Tony, the designer and lead programmer here. When designing MakeupTalk, we tried to take some of the other beauty boards' shortcomings and wrap them all up in one happy home. Now, I agree, if you are new to the site, I can certainly understand that MUT might be a little intimidating at first. But, just give it some time and go cruise the site's review center. A good place to start is right on the review center home here. Then you can see all the Categories and SUBCategories. That might help

Hopefully, you can find your way around. If not, there are PLENTY of moderators and regular users that can help.

PS: Myself and some of the other mods are customer support department and none of us received a suggestion from ya.

Best of luck! and Happy MUT'ing

Hiya divathequeen, welcome to my home from home! I have to agree with the rest of the girls here.. Because the site is SO big, it can be a litte scary at first but once you get to know all the features you'll be hooked! If you need help with anything in particular you can PM me or one of the other mods
biggrin.gif

I am pretty new also, well I just starting posting but have been using the site for a few months. I definitely like this site better than the others, I tried using other big ones, and they were just such jumbled messes I gave up. I like the forum layout, it is so easy. The reviews sometimes take a little while to get through, but I have found some great products and avoided some based on them. So to me, it was worth the time it took
smile.gif

Nice to meet you, I'm Sivchristen.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Like Liz says it takes time to get used to the site.
wink.gif
I felt a little out of place when I first joined MUT.

Originally Posted by bebexkhmergrl Nice to meet you, I'm Sivchristen.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Like Liz says it takes time to get used to the site.
wink.gif
I felt a little out of place when I first joined MUT.

Hope you don't feel that way now. If you need any help, please PM.

Aw sorry to hear that bebexkhmergrl.. As Marisol said, i hope you feel like part of the family now! If you do need any help just shout
biggrin.gif

Hi again and thanks for all your support!

I think I am starting getting the hang of it
claps.gif

For me the searches go better if I don't narrow the products by brand itself but by the category it is in.
icon_smile.gif

For instance, if I want to know the best foundation for me,

I click on

Search Reviews.

1) Select the 'Category' box (in this case I would add 'foundation, creme')

2) Check the second box to 'all brands',

3) Leave the keyword box BLANK

4) Leave the 'find keywords in' box alone as well

(basically you are only filling out the first box 'category')

5)Then click 'search'

Voila! You now have a page with everyone that has ever reviewed your main selected category.

This page will have:

The name of the product that was reviewed,

The average rating,

Number of reviews for that particular brand,

And if they would definitely buy again

This to me, not only saves so much more time than going through all the reviews separately
confused.gif
, but let's me know how people liked a particular product which in turn lets me make a better, more informed choice of what product I should/should not buy!
claps.gif

Hope this helps everyone, especially the newbies that has had difficulties like me in navigation.

Latest posts

Back