Low Fat Sandwiches

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been on the look out for low fat sandwich recipes because my diet has become so unhealthy recently. Thought I’d post a few that I’ve tried & liked! I found the recipes on an American site www.lowfatlifestyle.com, i’ve substituted some of the ingredients so you can try that too if you don’t like something. Most of the sandwiches I’ve mentioned below include meat (I love meat) so veggies beware!!!

I would love to fill this thread with more idea’s so post any sandwiches (low fat if possible) that you’ve tried!

TURKEY WRAPS

Servings: 4

1/2 red onion, sliced very thin

1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise

1 1/2 teaspoons chipped chipotle peppers, in adobo, include some sauce

4 - 8 inch low fat flour tortillas

1/2 pound shredded or sliced roast turkey or chicken

3/4 cup shredded romaine lettuce<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
redface.gif
ffice
redface.gif
ffice" /><o
tongue.gif
></o
tongue.gif
>

Blend chipotles and mayonnaise in blender until smooth.

Warm tortillas between plastic wrap in microwave for 30 to 40 seconds on high.

Spread 1 tablespoon chile mayonnaise mixture on each warm tortilla. Place one fourth of the turkey, onion and lettuce across the middle of each tortilla, season with salt and pepper to taste and roll up.

If you prefer cilantro to chipotle peppers, you can substitute 1 1/2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro for the pepper.

Per Serving: 333 Calories, 6g Fat (16.5% calories from fat), 20g Protein, 50g Carbohydrate, 3g Dietary Fiber, 23mg Cholesterol, 1686mg Sodium

CHICKEN PITTA’S

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

1/4 teaspoon dried mint, crushed

4 large pitta bread rounds

4 lettuce leaves

6 ounces thinly sliced fully cooked deli chicken breast

1 small tomato, thinly sliced

1/3 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese

For dressing: In a small mixing bowl stir together yogurt, cucumber, dillweed, and mint. Set aside.

For Sandwich: Place a pitta bread round on a plate. Top with lettuce, chicken, tomato, and feta cheese. Spoon dressing on top. Roll up the pitta bread. Secure with wooden toothpicks. Serve immediately.

Per Serving: 333 Calories, 6g Fat (16.5% calories from fat), 20g Protein, 50g Carbohydrate, 3g Dietary Fiber, 23mg Cholesterol, 1686mg Sodium

CAJUN CHICKEN SANDWICH

4 skinless, boneless medium chicken breast halves (about 12 ounces total)

Olive oil cooking spray

1/2 to 1 teaspoon Cajun style seasoning (depends on how spicy desired)

4 ounces reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese with peppers

2 to 4 tablespoons fat free thousand island salad dressing

Few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce

4 Roasted bottled red peppers or fresh red sweet pepper strips

4 leaf lettuce leaves

4 Kaiser buns, split and toasted

Rinse chicken; pat dry. Place each breast, boned side up, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Working from center to edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a mallet until chicken is just less than 1/2 inch thick.

Spray lightly with olive oil spray; sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Arrange chicken on a grill rack. To grill, uncovered, directly over medium coals for 12 to 15 minutes or until no pink remains, turning once. Add cheese the last 2 minutes of grilling. To broil, arrange the chicken on an unheated broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until no pink remains, turning once. Add cheese the last minute of cooking.

Spread buns with thousand island salad dressing mixed with a few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce. Top with roasted or fresh red sweet pepper strips, lettuce, and bun tops.

Per Serving: 359 Calories; 7g Fat (18.6% calories from fat); 5g Saturated Fat; 35g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 59mg Cholesterol; 686mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

VEGGIE SANDWICH LOAF

Servings: 12

3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (1 medium)

1/2 cup chopped carrot

1 tablespoon low saturated fat margarine

1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms

1 - 3 ounce package low-fat cream cheese

1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives

1/2 of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry

2 ounces (1/2 cup) thinly sliced Canadian-style bacon

1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs

1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed

1 - 16 ounce loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed

2% milk

Sesame or poppy seeds (optional)

In a large nonstick skillet, cook and stir bell pepper and carrot in hot margarine for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir about 2 minutes more or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat. Stir in cream cheese, spinach, meat, bread crumbs, and Italian seasoning.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12x9-inch rectangle. Gently transfer to a greased baking sheet. Spread the filling lengthwise in a 3 inch strip down the center of the rectangle to within 1 inch of the ends.

On both long sides (12 inch sides), make 3-inch cuts from the edges toward the center at 1-inch intervals creating little flaps. Moisten the end of each dough strip. Starting at one end, alternately fold opposite strips of dough at an angle across filling making a crisscoss pattern. Slightly press moistened ends together in center to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes).

Lightly brush loaf with milk. If desired, sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Using a serrated knife or a bread knife, cut into 12 slices.

Per Serving: 156 Calories; 4g Fat (24.3% calories from fat); 1g Saturated Fat; 7g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 360mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

SAUTEED ONIONS & TOMATO SANDWICHES

2 medium onions, sliced

1 teaspoon olive oil

8 slices hearty whole grain or rye bread (toasted, if desired)

1 tablespoon honey mustard

3 small tomatoes, thinly sliced

4 lettuce leaves, shredded

Small fresh basil leaves

4 ounces tub-style fat free cream cheese

In a large non-stick skillet sauté onions in hot oil over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until onions are tender and just starting to brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

To assemble, lightly spread one side of 4 bread slices with honey mustard. Top with the onion slices, tomato slices, shredded lettuce, and basil leaves. Spread one side of the remaining 4 bread slices with cream cheese. Place the bread slices, cheese sides down, on top of sandwiches.

Per Serving: 289 Calories; 6g Fat (16.8% calories from fat); 1g Saturated Fat; 14g Protein; 50g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 659mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOW POST YOUR FAVE LOW FAT SANDWICHES!

my fave is whole wheat tortillas, home made hummus and various veg like alfalfa sprouts, carrots, bell peppers, celery, etc. to make the hummus low fat, i use water instead of oil, and a bit of peanut butter instead of tahini, because i dont care for the taste.

I've never tried hummus.. Ive heard lots about it though. Halo, you've inspired me! Gonna pick it up the next time i'm shopping

Originally Posted by laura127 I’ve been on the look out for low fat sandwich recipes because my diet has become so unhealthy recently. Thought I’d post a few that I’ve tried & liked! I found the recipes on an American site www.lowfatlifestyle.com, i’ve substituted some of the ingredients so you can try that too if you don’t like something. Most of the sandwiches I’ve mentioned below include meat (I love meat) so veggies beware!!!
I would love to fill this thread with more idea’s so post any sandwiches (low fat if possible) that you’ve tried!

TURKEY WRAPS

1/2 red onion, sliced very thin

1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise

1 1/2 teaspoons chipped chipotle peppers, in adobo, include some sauce

4 - 8 inch low fat flour tortillas

1/2 pound shredded or sliced roast turkey or chicken

3/4 cup shredded romaine lettuceffice
redface.gif
ffice" /><O
tongue.gif
></O
tongue.gif
>

Blend chipotles and mayonnaise in blender until smooth.

Warm tortillas between plastic wrap in microwave for 30 to 40 seconds on high.

Spread 1 tablespoon chile mayonnaise mixture on each warm tortilla. Place one fourth of the turkey, onion and lettuce across the middle of each tortilla, season with salt and pepper to taste and roll up.

If you prefer cilantro to chipotle peppers, you can substitute 1 1/2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro for the pepper.

CHICKEN PITTA’S

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

1/4 teaspoon dried mint, crushed

4 large pitta bread rounds

4 lettuce leaves

6 ounces thinly sliced fully cooked deli chicken breast

1 small tomato, thinly sliced

1/3 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese

For dressing: In a small mixing bowl stir together yogurt, cucumber, dillweed, and mint. Set aside.

For Sandwich: Place a pitta bread round on a plate. Top with lettuce, chicken, tomato, and feta cheese. Spoon dressing on top. Roll up the pitta bread. Secure with wooden toothpicks. Serve immediately.

CAJUN CHICKEN SANDWICH

4 skinless, boneless medium chicken breast halves (about 12 ounces total)

Olive oil cooking spray

1/2 to 1 teaspoon Cajun style seasoning (depends on how spicy desired)

4 ounces reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese with peppers

2 to 4 tablespoons fat free thousand island salad dressing

Few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce

4 Roasted bottled red peppers or fresh red sweet pepper strips

4 leaf lettuce leaves

4 Kaiser buns, split and toasted

Rinse chicken; pat dry. Place each breast, boned side up, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Working from center to edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a mallet until chicken is just less than 1/2 inch thick.

Spray lightly with olive oil spray; sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Arrange chicken on a grill rack. To grill, uncovered, directly over medium coals for 12 to 15 minutes or until no pink remains, turning once. Add cheese the last 2 minutes of grilling. To broil, arrange the chicken on an unheated broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until no pink remains, turning once. Add cheese the last minute of cooking.

Spread buns with thousand island salad dressing mixed with a few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce. Top with roasted or fresh red sweet pepper strips, lettuce, and bun tops.

Per Serving: 359 Calories; 7g Fat (18.6% calories from fat); 5g Saturated Fat; 35g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 59mg Cholesterol; 686mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

VEGGIE SANDWICH LOAF

Servings: 12

3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (1 medium)

1/2 cup chopped carrot

1 tablespoon low saturated fat margarine

1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms

1 - 3 ounce package low-fat cream cheese

1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives

1/2 of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry

2 ounces (1/2 cup) thinly sliced Canadian-style bacon

1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs

1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed

1 - 16 ounce loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed

2% milk

Sesame or poppy seeds (optional)

In a large nonstick skillet, cook and stir bell pepper and carrot in hot margarine for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir about 2 minutes more or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat. Stir in cream cheese, spinach, meat, bread crumbs, and Italian seasoning.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12x9-inch rectangle. Gently transfer to a greased baking sheet. Spread the filling lengthwise in a 3 inch strip down the center of the rectangle to within 1 inch of the ends.

On both long sides (12 inch sides), make 3-inch cuts from the edges toward the center at 1-inch intervals creating little flaps. Moisten the end of each dough strip. Starting at one end, alternately fold opposite strips of dough at an angle across filling making a crisscoss pattern. Slightly press moistened ends together in center to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes).

Lightly brush loaf with milk. If desired, sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Using a serrated knife or a bread knife, cut into 12 slices.

Per Serving: 156 Calories; 4g Fat (24.3% calories from fat); 1g Saturated Fat; 7g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 360mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

SAUTEED ONIONS & TOMATO SANDWICHES

2 medium onions, sliced

1 teaspoon olive oil

8 slices hearty whole grain or rye bread (toasted, if desired)

1 tablespoon honey mustard

3 small tomatoes, thinly sliced

4 lettuce leaves, shredded

Small fresh basil leaves

4 ounces tub-style fat free cream cheese

In a large non-stick skillet sauté onions in hot oil over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until onions are tender and just starting to brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

To assemble, lightly spread one side of 4 bread slices with honey mustard. Top with the onion slices, tomato slices, shredded lettuce, and basil leaves. Spread one side of the remaining 4 bread slices with cream cheese. Place the bread slices, cheese sides down, on top of sandwiches.

Per Serving: 289 Calories; 6g Fat (16.8% calories from fat); 1g Saturated Fat; 14g Protein; 50g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 659mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOW POST YOUR FAVE LOW FAT SANDWICHES!

Cali's Fav Turkey Wraps
YUM! I dig wraps too! I do an alternative version of the turkey wrap that you describe above. Instead of using mayo, I use neufeld cheese (it's a low-fat version of cream cheese that esentially tastes the same). Spread the cream cheese (or substitute) thinly over the tortilla. Then add two slices of turkey bacon (very low-fat), a few slices of turkey, shredded lettuce, tomatoe, and salt and pepper. Add a bit of mustard if you like. Then roll up tightly and cut in half. Serve with your favorite soup and feel good about your food choices! Low carb, low fat!

Originally Posted by haloinrverse my fave is whole wheat tortillas, home made hummus and various veg like alfalfa sprouts, carrots, bell peppers, celery, etc.
to make the hummus low fat, i use water instead of oil, and a bit of peanut butter instead of tahini, because i dont care for the taste.

I love homemade hummus..I use unsweetened peanut butter in place of tahini also..easier to find and I also really don't dig the taste of tahini..I still use oil but I use Canola which is heart healthy and TONS of garlic
smile.gif
Yum!!

Originally Posted by laura127 I've never tried hummus.. Ive heard lots about it though. Halo, you've inspired me! Gonna pick it up the next time i'm shopping I really think you'll enjoy it Laura..The pre-made hummus they sell these days is pretty descent but if you ever get the chance,I'd find an Indian restaurant..Nothing like the full experience with falafel included**drool**

yes laura, you *have* to try hummus! some packaged brands arent so great and taste almost tinny, which is pretty impressive considering that they are packaged in plastic. i make mine really garlicky too.

Originally Posted by laura127 Anyone else got recipes they'd like to post?? I need variety!! I sure hope you get some more posts, Laura... Here's another from moi! xo

Eggplant and Pepper Parmesan Sandwiches

Smoky grilled veggies, rich tapenade, and tangy goat cheese make these sandwiches hearty and satisfying. Makes 4 sandwiches

<HR noShade><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>1 eggplant, seeded and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices1 red bell pepper, sliced

into thin strips

salt and pepper to taste

</TD><TD vAlign=top>1 French baguette

2 ounces soft goat cheese

1/4 cup tapenade (olive spread)

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Directions

1 Preheat the oven broiler.

2 Place the eggplant and red bell pepper on a medium

baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper. Broil 5 to 10

minutes, until tender and slightly browned.

3 Cut baguette in half lengthwise. Spread bottom half

with goat cheese, followed by tapenade. Layer with eggplant

and red pepper, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover

with top half of baguette. Cut into 4 pieces. Serve hot or cold.

11 g fat, 447 cal

here are a few from my recipe vaults:

veggie burgers

makes 12 patties

1c brown rice

2 1/2 c water

1 1/2 t salt

cook 45-50 min. fluff

2 carrots

1 onion

garlic

1/4 c parsley

salt and pepper

mince all and saute lightly.

mix all with

2 beaten eggs

1/2 c all purpose flour

brown 2 min per side

i often double or triple the batch and add different veggies and a combo of grains like quinoa, barley, etc. i also add different spices and make indian flavored burgers, southwest flavor, etc. you can freeze them on a cookie sheet and then transfer them to freezer bags.

lima bean falafel fritters

brace yourself. this is marthas recipe. theyre usually fried, but they work just as well baked, and you can freeze the uncooked patties.

8 oz. frozen lima beans

boil 5 min. shock.

1/4 c parsley

1/4 c cilantro

process

1 1/2 c chickpeas (canned)

garlic

1 t cumin

1/2 t turmeric

1 1/2 t kosher salt

1/2 red onion

red chile

1 T lime

process with limas

add 3 T all purpose flour. pulse.

im in the bad habit of not writing down how long to cook things, because i just know when theyre done. put them on a greased baking sheet and cook them until theyre brown. id say 375 for 20 minutes-ish.

serve in pitas with bibb lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, tatziki, etc.

bar-b-fu

1 lb. firm tofu cut into 4. weight 30 min. (put a plate on top and add a weight to the plate.)

marinade:

garlic, chiles, barbecue sauce, vinegar (whatever proportion suits your tastes.) marinate 1 hour to overnight.

sear 2 min over med heat. flip. heat reserved marinade with 3/4 c beer.

i use oil, but that wouldnt be keeping with the low fat spirit, would it? :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> you can use a non stick pan, or broil the cutlets. watch them though, because all the sugar burns quickly.

Cali, what's eggplant? I've never heard of it before.. (don't laugh at me!!!)

Originally Posted by laura127 Cali, what's eggplant? I've never heard of it before.. (don't laugh at me!!!) Ok, eggplant is a dark purple vegetable (technically it is considered a fruit) that tastes a lot like squash. The nice thing about eggplant besides the fact that it's so low in calories is that it has great texture and tends to take on and enhance the flavor of whatever you put it with. However, just like asparagus, if you do not cook it right, it can have a bitter taste. Here's a pic:

eggplant.jpg

(ok, it's not cute, but neither is a lotta stuff that's good) LOL

Click here for more than you ever wanted to know about the history of eggplant.

xo Cali

aubergine, laura. aubergine. damn language barrier within the same language. lol. courgettes = zucchini squash capsicum = bell peppers

Back