MAC breakout :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
omg!!!!

i brought the EXACT mac makeup foundations, and i broke up like crazy. i think one of the reasons why it caused such horrendous breakouts was because MAC foundations are much heavier, and after ranting out to my boyfriend (a chemical engineer) about my skin, all he had to say was that MAC's ingredients never change while other brands are improving on their formulas, (i.e. lancome keeps on coming up w/ different kinds of foundations) the new foundations contain smaller molecules that are easily blendable and easily washed off which lets ur pores breath.

so i guess, after listening to my boyfriend lectureing me about makeup on a molecular level, -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i guess i have come up with one conclusion:

use makeup brands with a variety of diffrent lines, it's more likely they still do alot of research to improve their line of cosmetics.

so far, i have heard that Japanese cosmetics like Shu Eumura foundations have the smallest molecule (it's 10^-9) or something.

hope u find the perfect foundation for u
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Oh my avatar? LOL! I change it up sometimes :icon_love I really liked that avatar when I first saw it (I still do...It's kind of manic). I think the mod at HoN chose to use it because modding there can be so depressing.

Originally Posted by XOffendr

I really liked that avatar when I first saw it (I still do...It's kind of manic). I think the mod at HoN chose to use it because modding there can be so depressing.

Depressing? why's that?

Originally Posted by sugersoul omg!!!!
i brought the EXACT mac makeup foundations, and i broke up like crazy. i think one of the reasons why it caused such horrendous breakouts was because MAC foundations are much heavier, and after ranting out to my boyfriend (a chemical engineer) about my skin, all he had to say was that MAC's ingredients never change while other brands are improving on their formulas, (i.e. lancome keeps on coming up w/ different kinds of foundations) the new foundations contain smaller molecules that are easily blendable and easily washed off which lets ur pores breath.

so i guess, after listening to my boyfriend lectureing me about makeup on a molecular level, -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i guess i have come up with one conclusion:

use makeup brands with a variety of diffrent lines, it's more likely they still do alot of research to improve their line of cosmetics.

so far, i have heard that Japanese cosmetics like Shu Eumura foundations have the smallest molecule (it's 10^-9) or something.

hope u find the perfect foundation for u
smile.gif

I guess that does make sense. I mean, MAC only has a few different "foundations" whereas other brands have about a dozen. Other brands develop them to suit different skin types, but this doesn't seem to be a goal for MAC. While I adore the coverage that the Studio Fix provides, it obviously isn't suited to my skin type (although I had told the MA that I'm oily and acne prone). And it also makes sense that as the molecules get smaller with different brands, your skin will have more and more room to breathe AND more natural coverage.

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Depressing? why's that? Oh, well, honestly, I think it's because we've got no choice but to read the profiles...Before I was a moderator, I was a member, and on the MeetMe site, it's really easy to just surf through the potential matches...If you like what you see, you read the profile, and if you like what you read, you click 'yes.' If you don't like what you see to begin with, chances are you'll just click 'no' really fast to get to the next one, so a lot slips past unnoticed..Since I've been modding I've seen lots of profiles- really outrageous sexually suggestive and just outright explicit profiles- sent in by minors. It's just kind of disheartening to see so many young people just asking for a lot of trouble...And it could be a lot of trouble, because on the other hand, I see a number of profiles created by older men- up to the their forties- advertising that they're looking for girls fourteen to twenty five, and I get sort of....enraged, I guess. It's not only offensive, there's definitely criminal intent behind it. Bothersome to know that there's such a dangerous element out there, just a few keystrokes away.Then, you've got the lonely hearts. I'm as single and sometimes lonely as anyone, but I've sort of resigned myself to taking my 3D life as it comes, and not further complicating it with online romances...So, it's kind of heartwrenching to see these really lonely people making these really honest and vulnerable attempts to connect with someone else on the internet. You see a lot of 'I just want to be treated with kindness' statements which makes you wonder how unkind someone might have been to them, already.
Anyhoo, that's a much longer response than you probably expected. Sorry. :icon_love

Originally Posted by XOffendr

Oh, well, honestly, I think it's because we've got no choice but to read the profiles...Before I was a moderator, I was a member, and on the MeetMe site, it's really easy to just surf through the potential matches...If you like what you see, you read the profile, and if you like what you read, you click 'yes.' If you don't like what you see to begin with, chances are you'll just click 'no' really fast to get to the next one, so a lot slips past unnoticed..Since I've been modding I've seen lots of profiles- really outrageous sexually suggestive and just outright explicit profiles- sent in by minors. It's just kind of disheartening to see so many young people just asking for a lot of trouble...And it could be a lot of trouble, because on the other hand, I see a number of profiles created by older men- up to the their forties- advertising that they're looking for girls fourteen to twenty five, and I get sort of....enraged, I guess. It's not only offensive, there's definitely criminal intent behind it. Bothersome to know that there's such a dangerous element out there, just a few keystrokes away.Then, you've got the lonely hearts. I'm as single and sometimes lonely as anyone, but I've sort of resigned myself to taking my 3D life as it comes, and not further complicating it with online romances...So, it's kind of heartwrenching to see these really lonely people making these really honest and vulnerable attempts to connect with someone else on the internet. You see a lot of 'I just want to be treated with kindness' statements which makes you wonder how unkind someone might have been to them, already.
Anyhoo, that's a much longer response than you probably expected. Sorry. :icon_love

Fourteen?????????? Sheeeeesh! Those doods need a life
Thanks for all the info, you seem to know what and how to navigate forums.

Ok, I returned my MAC Studio Fix, Select Cover-Up, and Studio Stick Concealer because of the HUGE breakout problem. I did get some more eye shadows while I was there...Retrospeck, Honey Lust, and Gleam. I love lustres!

I decided to try Shiseido Fluid Foundation and Concealer in place of the MAC stuff. I like their packaging so I'm excited about trying it. If I like it, I'll go back and get their loose & pressed powders as well as the HydroPowder Eye Shadow that I've been wanting to try forever.

We'll have to wait to see if my skin clears up. It already feels a LITTLE better since I didn't use the MAC stuff today...I used my standby (Revlon Colorstay Natural foundation and Maybelline True Illusion concealer).

Originally Posted by XOffendr Oh, well, honestly, I think it's because we've got no choice but to read the profiles...Before I was a moderator, I was a member, and on the MeetMe site, it's really easy to just surf through the potential matches...If you like what you see, you read the profile, and if you like what you read, you click 'yes.' If you don't like what you see to begin with, chances are you'll just click 'no' really fast to get to the next one, so a lot slips past unnoticed..Since I've been modding I've seen lots of profiles- really outrageous sexually suggestive and just outright explicit profiles- sent in by minors. It's just kind of disheartening to see so many young people just asking for a lot of trouble...And it could be a lot of trouble, because on the other hand, I see a number of profiles created by older men- up to the their forties- advertising that they're looking for girls fourteen to twenty five, and I get sort of....enraged, I guess. It's not only offensive, there's definitely criminal intent behind it. Bothersome to know that there's such a dangerous element out there, just a few keystrokes away.Then, you've got the lonely hearts. I'm as single and sometimes lonely as anyone, but I've sort of resigned myself to taking my 3D life as it comes, and not further complicating it with online romances...So, it's kind of heartwrenching to see these really lonely people making these really honest and vulnerable attempts to connect with someone else on the internet. You see a lot of 'I just want to be treated with kindness' statements which makes you wonder how unkind someone might have been to them, already.

i've been on HoN for forever! hehe. but i go through the profiles pretty quickly and haven't seen any of the perverted profiles yet. you have to be careful with the younger ones though. there's a bunch of underage profiles on dating sites, especially on facethejury.

Originally Posted by Liz

i've been on HoN for forever! hehe. but i go through the profiles pretty quickly and haven't seen any of the perverted profiles yet. you have to be careful with the younger ones though. there's a bunch of underage profiles on dating sites, especially on facethejury.

Hmm I don't know this site.............

I tried a few MAC foundations on when the MA there was trying to find me a good one. The only one I liked was the Select Moistureblend. The others felt so drying and mask-like. I am super acne prone, but haven't gotten any breakouts from it... and I'm almost done w/ the compact.
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Hmm I don't know this site............. IIRC, it's a site that shows people's pics, and you vote if they're hot or not.
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I tried a few MAC foundations on when the MA there was trying to find me a good one. The only one I liked was the Select Moistureblend. The others felt so drying and mask-like. I am super acne prone, but haven't gotten any breakouts from it... and I'm almost done w/ the compact.
icon_wink.gif
I'm just so broken out that I wasn't willing to try another MAC foundation right now. The Studio Fix did not feel dry on me and I loved the coverage (since my skin tone is uneven to begin with, let alone with zits). It also felt very fine and soft on my skin. I'm actually starting to think that the Select Cover Up might have been the cause of my breakout, since the zits are appearing primarily in the areas where I used the concealer.
I also had the Studio Stick Concealer...I don't know if that was causing zits but I returned it mainly because it had a strange odor.

Originally Posted by spazbaby I'm just so broken out that I wasn't willing to try another MAC foundation right now. The Studio Fix did not feel dry on me and I loved the coverage (since my skin tone is uneven to begin with, let alone with zits). It also felt very fine and soft on my skin. I'm actually starting to think that the Select Cover Up might have been the cause of my breakout, since the zits are appearing primarily in the areas where I used the concealer.
I also had the Studio Stick Concealer...I don't know if that was causing zits but I returned it mainly because it had a strange odor.

Oh... I've never tried any of their concealers - I really don't use them. I mostly just apply more foundation where needed. But I dunno... the liquid foundations they had seemed to look masky and showed every pore. I haven't tried the Studio foundation that is almost like a powder.. might be the Studio Fix... not sure.
redface.gif

Originally Posted by Liz i've been on HoN for forever! hehe. but i go through the profiles pretty quickly and haven't seen any of the perverted profiles yet. you have to be careful with the younger ones though. there's a bunch of underage profiles on dating sites, especially on facethejury. Liz, I suspect a lot more of them are underage than we manage to catch, but for the most we're told to give people who appear underage the benefit of the doubt and approve their profiles, unless it's stated somewhere that they're in fact sixteen. I doubt you'll see a lot of perversion- that's one thing we've got strict rules to weed out.
Spazbaby, I want to know how the Shiseido works out. I've heard really great things about their foundations, and know several makeup artists who recommend it...I'm always so paranoid to try new foundations, though, because sometimes my skin takes weeks to recover.

UPDATE: I've been using my new Shiseido foundation and concealer that I got after I returned the MAC Studio Fix & concealers. I have also been treating the acne very aggressively:

Morning: Philosophy On A Clear Day Super Wash for Oily Skin, Clinique #4 Clarifying lotion, Philosophy On A Clear Day Blemish Gel, Philosophy On A Clear Day Protection Cream

Night: Philosophy Purity Made Simple cleanser followed by Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash, then Philosophy On A Clear Day H202 cream

Throughout the day: periodic spot treatment with Philosophy On A Clear Day blemish gel or Clinique Acne Solutions Spot Healing Gel

The breakout seems to be healing nicely. I don't see or feel any new zits coming. Certain spots are still slightly red but not nearly as angry and irritated as they were before.

In addition, I like the Shiseido stuff! Although it doesn't provide quite enough coverage right now (due to the breakout), it will be perfect once my skin is healed.

Those e/s you got are pretty!!
smile.gif
Better to have pretty e/s than foundation that breaks you out! Let us know how the Shiseido stuff works out for you!

Originally Posted by FeistyFemme Those e/s you got are pretty!!
smile.gif
Better to have pretty e/s than foundation that breaks you out! Let us know how the Shiseido stuff works out for you! That's exactly what I thought! I used the Honey Lust today (lash line to crease) and Retrospeck (crease to brow). I got 3 compliments one it! I love it because it looks so natural but then you see the lustre finish and people are saying "I want what you're wearing!" I love neutral colors that have something special about them.

Originally Posted by Marisol Glad that you found something that works for you. Thanks!

Back