MAC's new holiday line and consultation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to the MAC store today, thought it would be a good time to see their fall anique line of cosmetics. Well, being as I've been told a shimmery brown would be good I thought, cool. Problem was the gal seem to stick too close t the exact makeup used. I ended up looking very goth. ARgH. If it was halloween night I would have kept it on.

Fortunately she sensed I did not like it and took it all off. I ended up buying two tones of brown, neither one shimmery, but it was clean basic look. Something I don't have. I may buy a solid gold shimmer to put over it in the future. I also bought bought black mascara, she urged me get brown, but sorry I love the dramatic black.

Intersting thing about the MAC mascara applicator, the brushes are super stiff, like a garden rake. I dunno just seems cheap unlike the sephora mascara applicator.

I did spend close to 50 bucks, and wish I could have felt a bit stronger about my purchases.

One last question, I'm so drawn to bold colors and dark smokey eyes and It seems I just can't figure out what works for me. I've got fair complexion, am a guy with very blonde hair. Any suggestions?

I'm very pale myself and I also love a smokey eye. I just keep everything else very simple (a pale pink blush, and a nude shiny lip) and the look works for me. I always get lots of compliments on my smokey eyes.

Don't worry too much about the rules of color. It's true: some colors just don't work on certain people. But, I think you'll know what doesn't work for you. If you don't like the way it looks on you...don't wear it. But if you do like it...go for it. Makeup is supposed to be fun and you should try a lot of different colors, shades, and techniques to find what you really love. Don't worry about being too dramatic; that's part of the fun. Trust me, I've never settled for brown mascara, either.

And, finally, if you aren't happy with the mascara applicator, take your old Sephora brush, wash it with brush cleaner, and use it with your MAC mascara.

A line to expiriment with , ( without the $$cost ) is NYX , if you have access to it. Their colors are very pigmented and you can achieve a good bold look with them. Maybe stick to the less expensive lines until you figure out what you like and what looks good?

Hope that helps =)

Originally Posted by MamaRocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif A line to expiriment with , ( without the $$cost ) is NYX , if you have access to it. Their colors are very pigmented and you can achieve a good bold look with them. Maybe stick to the less expensive lines until you figure out what you like and what looks good?
Hope that helps =)

Where is this NYX? I've kept my eyes open for it but have never seen it. I'm on the west coast, perhaps they don't stock it here?

Quote:
I'm very pale myself and I also love a smokey eye. I just keep everything else very simple (a pale pink blush, and a nude shiny lip) and the look works for me. I always get lots of compliments on my smokey eyes.
Don't worry too much about the rules of color. It's true: some colors just don't work on certain people. But, I think you'll know what doesn't work for you. If you don't like the way it looks on you...don't wear it. But if you do like it...go for it. Makeup is supposed to be fun and you should try a lot of different colors, shades, and techniques to find what you really love. Don't worry about being too dramatic; that's part of the fun. Trust me, I've never settled for brown mascara, either.

I'm wanting the smokey eye with cool colors without the rocky horror picture show look. I'm trying to avoid creeping people out, though that may not be possible? Tonight being halloween I decided to go for broke if you will as it really wouldn't matter if it didn't look too great. I used a smoke color for flare out instead of trying to blend out a black, that made a huge difference. I did this along with light shimmery purple on the inside of the eye. I really need to post some pics. Too bad my digital cam recently broke.

Back