Makeup Artist?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HELLO EVERYBODY,I AM AN ASPRING MAKEUP ARTIST. I WAS THIKING ABOUT GOING TO SCHOOL BUT I SPOKE TO ALOT OF MAKEUP ARTIST AND THEY ALL SAID YOU DONT NEED IT. AND EVERY COMPANY I LOOKED INTO SAYS THEY NEED A RESUME OR A PORTFOILIO, WHICH I HAVE NONE CAUSE I HAVE NO EXPERCIENCE.ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO GET INTO THE BUSINESS? ANY ADVICE IS HELPFUL.THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

you can do free lancing for your friends or something. like do their makeup and try to take nice pictures to start your portfolio. if you have some done, you can try branching out to other people.

i'm not quite sure if you need your license to be a professional makeup artist and have like a business. i'm pretty sure you would though.

or you can try to do makeup for photographers. they can pay you by giving you copies of the photoshoot.

this is what i've heard from around the net though.

but for like cosmetics counters, you don't need a license.

You don't need a license to be a MUA unless you're gonna work in a salon...if you have no experience at all, the best thing is to find established muas to assist so you can learn the ropes...once you're comfortable working by yourself, there are plenty of photographers you can do a TFP or TFCD-where you can get some prints or a cd of the shots, but you won't get paid. It takes a while before most muas get enough experience behind their belt to get the good paying jobs, in fact I know some that are still struggling years into choosing this as a career. Alot of it is the talent you have, but unfortunately most of it is who you know.

I just wanted to add that I never recommend this as a career choice for anyone unless it is absolutely a strong passion of yours...only because it is so hard to make a living at it and it's getting worse because so many people are doing jobs for free that they should be getting paid for, which makes it hard for those who are looking to get paid to find work.

Hi Jennifer,

Aside from what envy wrote, I would also recommend getting Crystal Wright's book "Hair, Makeup and Styling Career Guide".

Thank You Everybody For Your Help.i Know It's A Rough Business To Get Into I Agree, But It's What I Want To Do I Just Dont Know Where To Start, I Will Def Pick Up That Book.and Im Also Going To Do Pics Of Friends Thats A Good Idea.thank You Again.
wink.gif

Hi! I am a Makeup Artist and I had NO prior experience. I think the easiest way to start is build a portfolio with pics of friend and family. Any chance you get PRACTICE!!!! You can also start in a Department Store, cosmetic counters there usually don't require experience. Good Luck!!

Originally Posted by Liz or you can try to do makeup for photographers. they can pay you by giving you copies of the photoshoot.

Great idea, you should be able to build a professional portfolio in this way.

The perfect pair of events to get you started in makeup or fine-tune your craft! Introduction to Makeup Artistry and Intro 2 will take you through the basics and beyond!

Introduction to Makeup Artistry вЂâ€œ Thursday, October 20

The Powder Group offers you the opportunity to learn more about the craft and career of makeup in a full-day, hands-on workshop setting. We bring you the most relevant and current approaches to the art of makeup. Our Introduction to Makeup Artistry Workshop is a great class for those looking to get started in the field of makeup artistry or fine-tune their existing skills. Topics will include:

• Review of the industry and types of work available

• In-depth makeup theory

• Color theory and hygiene as they relate to makeup artistry

• Overview of artist tools and brushes

• Product review

• Discussion and demonstration of application techniques including foundation matching, eyes, cheeks and lips.

• Developing yourself as an artist and business person

Intro 2 вЂâ€œ Friday, October 21

Presented by the fabulous James Vincent The Powder GroupвЂâ„¢s Intro 2 workshop picks up where Introduction to Makeup Artistry leaves off, focusing on the techniques that take you to a new place with your artistic skills. Have you wondered how to create that dewy-look or how to get liquid liner just right? WeвЂâ„¢ll spend the day working on the techniques and discussing the products that will get you to move your artistry forward. Build your confidence as an artist and make your work stronger in this all-day hands-on event. Are you ready for some fine tuning? In our Intro 2 workshop weвЂâ„¢ll cover:

• Creating texture with foundation from dewy to matte

• Using highlighting and contour to create shape and texture

• Creating standard eye makeup trends including sculpted, smokey and color washed eyes

• The use of liquid and cream liners

• Choosing and applying false lashes

• Using color placement from to create successful non-traditional looks

Event Dates:

Introduction to Makeup Artistry вЂâ€œ Thursday, October 20

Intro 2 вЂâ€œ Friday, October 21

Event Times: 10 вЂâ€œ 6 each day

Event Fees: $290 each if taken individually or $232 each if taken together or if you are a returning TPG attendee

Event Location: Arthur Cohen Studio 56 West 22nd Street NYC

These events are a part of Makeup 101 but can be taken separately.

To register for either event please contact 866.876.9337 or email [email protected] for more information

Visit us at www.thepowdergroup.com for a full listing of all of our events

Originally Posted by jennycateyez HELLO EVERYBODY,I AM AN ASPRING MAKEUP ARTIST. I WAS THIKING ABOUT GOING TO SCHOOL BUT I SPOKE TO ALOT OF MAKEUP ARTIST AND THEY ALL SAID YOU DONT NEED IT. AND EVERY COMPANY I LOOKED INTO SAYS THEY NEED A RESUME OR A PORTFOILIO, WHICH I HAVE NONE CAUSE I HAVE NO EXPERCIENCE.ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO GET INTO THE BUSINESS? ANY ADVICE IS HELPFUL.THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Latest posts

Back