Makeup Basics, reccs please?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i was wondering which items you guys consider as makeup basics or must-haves? also, where do you buy the bulk of your makeup, drugstores or specialty stores like MAC, Sephora, Stila? and what is your favorite brand? :]

It depends on my skin splotx!

On a breakout day, i'd consider foundation, blush, bronzer, mascara, eyeshadow, lipstick etc.. BASICS! But on a good skin day, i could make do with some bronzer & mascara!

I buy most of my make up from department stores. I love MAC's eyeshadows & liners, Lancome's Foundations, Bronzer & Blushes, Chanel's Aqualumiere's Lipstick,.. I could go on & on. I don't have one favourite brand though so i can't answer that question!

What about you?

Originally Posted by Laura It depends on my skin splotx!
On a breakout day, i'd consider foundation, blush, bronzer, mascara, eyeshadow, lipstick etc.. BASICS! But on a good skin day, i could make do with some bronzer & mascara!

I buy most of my make up from department stores. I love MAC's eyeshadows & liners, Lancome's Foundations, Bronzer & Blushes, Chanel's Aqualumiere's Lipstick,.. I could go on & on. I don't have one favourite brand though so i can't answer that question!

What about you?

i don't wear a lot of makeup, mostly because it takes me too long to put it on, so i don't have any basics. but i'm in love with lipgloss (i have soo many) and eyeliner and mascara are essentials when i want to look a little better than usual. i have lipglosses from lancome, l'oreal, revoln, avon's meetmark, i have blush from estee lauder and MAC, and mascara from estee lauder but i mostly use maybelline mascara, and i use revlon eyeshadows. i mostly get my makeup from drugstores or department stores, mostly because they are cheaper and it's less crowded then say...sephora. i haven't explored makeup a lot and still can't tell the difference between different brands - but i'll get there!
tongue.gif

LOL! All in good time girlie! That's why i think swapping is so great. There's no way i could afford to buy all those products people talk about, so i swap the ones that don't suit me away & in return get something i've been dying to try out!

I wish I had the time to get all decked out everyday... but unfortunatly sometimes I don't. On a good day, I'll use my BareEscentuals (foundation, warmth & mineral veil) blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lip liner and lipgloss. On a rush-day I'm usually just a cream eyeshadow, eyeliner, lipliner and gloss. (And sometimes the BE - if I can) I usually buy my stuff at Ulta. Or if I'm at one, at a drugstore. Although I usually get better deals a Ulta w/ their coupons and sales. I use either Ulta brand or Maybelline blush, Ulta brand lipliner, Maybelline or Ulta eyeliner, Covergirl Lipslicks gloss, L'Oreal Panoramic Mascara... and eyeshadows - I'll just just about any brand... but I have a lot of Ulta's, Revlon's and Maybelline. I'm a cosmetic whore LOL so I pretty much will use or try anything !!! LOLOL
icon_cool.gif

Welcome to MuT! i'm paring down my stash & have become quite the minimalist in recent months. the least i'll wear is brow pencil/powder & lip balm. a work face includes lipstick & mascara--sometimes blush. if i'm going out, then i'll do myself up--foundation, e/s, mascara, eyeliner, powder, blush, brows, lipstick & lip gloss--but that involves a lot of time. LOL!
tongue.gif

Luckily I've never had to do my brows... until last week, now I have to touch up a spot where the girl at the nail salon gave me a nice bald spot when she waxed em'
icon_rolleyes.gif

I mostly go with a full face or a completely bare face. There's really not much of an inbetween for me. For my full face, I use:

- concealor

- foundation (usually minerals)

- powder (if I'm using a liquid or BE)

- blush

- eyeshadow base

- eyeshadow

- eyeliner

- mascara

- brow powder and gel

- lip balm

- lipgloss (maybe)

My stash consists mainly of department store items. My stash is probably a 70:30 ration of department store and drugstore items.

I can't pick one favorite brand, but the lines I adore are MAC, Aromaleigh, Painted Girl, and Bare Escentuals.

I consider the bulk of the makeup, stuff I use on a regular basis. I regularly use foundation, eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, blush, lipstick, and lipgloss, so these are my basics! I buy most of my makeup at a drugstore. But more and more I find myself buying a lot of stuff online. My favorite overall brand is probably Too Faced, Rocket City, or MAC!

I always wear foundation, concealer, and powder (to hide acne and camoflauge oily skin), eyeliner, and mascara. If I'm going all out I'll wear eyeshadow and lip gloss or liquid lipstick. I've only recently started wearing more makeup, which is why I joined this forum -- to learn more!
smile.gif

I definitely buy all my makeup from drugstores since I am a poor college student -- but I have bought foundation, concealor, and powder at department stores before I discovered that some drugstore brands also make non-comedogenic makeup.

Originally Posted by girl_geek I definitely buy all my makeup from drugstores since I am a poor college student -- There's always our swap section!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
A lot of times people are willing to swap high end stuff for other things besides makeup or even low end stuff that they can't seem to find near them.. you should check it out!
tongue.gif

I buy almost all my makeup at the drugstore...it's cheaper, but a lot of it is for convenience; the nearest MAC stores to me are about an hour away driving, and I don't have a licence; there isn't even a Sephora store in my province! Once in a while I'll order some stuff from Sephora online though.

I almost always wear foundation (only where I need it), concealer, and powder to set it. The one thing I never go without is lip balm - I only wear the cheap stuff like ChapStick and LipSmackers but my lips get sooo bad even after a few hours without it! If I feel like it I wear blush; I usually wear mascara, eyeshadow and lip gloss too. Oh,and clear mascara on my eyebrows. I think the only makeup I never wear is lipstick...I'm only in high school after all.

My favourite makeup brand is Maybelline, but I have a few products from different brands (like, 1 each) that I absolutely love, like my single MAC eyeshadow (Yes I only own 1 MAC product, like I said, I don't get to go there much) and Stila AOS eyes.

Wow, long post.

i think the must-haves are my blusher, eyeliner, and lip balm. my one and only blusher is from mac, my eyeliner is from maybeline and my lipbalm is the nivea cherry. the one that i never leave home without is my lipbalm! so far this is the best'est lipbalm ive ever tried on my lips..smells and taste yummy. and best, it works.

(i sound like im promoting my lipbalm, don't i?)

I use a foundation or a powder foundation almost every time i go somewhere, and a blush or a bronzer, gloss brightens me up and a mascara! I also use e/l and shadows almost every day.
icon_smile.gif

I consider a good foundation and lip gloss as must haves. Since I am in New York, I frequent Ricky's in Greenwich Village. They have trendy makeup that is affordable under the Mattesse Line name. www.rickys-nyc.com

Latest posts

Back