Makeup books?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are everyone's favorite makeup books? I know that Bobbi Brown and Kevin Aucoin have books, but I've never seen them. Good? What other makeup books are out there??

I really like Kevyn's books because he looks for the beauty within not how to add tons of make up and make you look like you arent you.

i have or had these...

makingfaces_150.jpg

that one was good, but i swapped it away because i don't know
redface.gif

0091878179.JPG
and
13000U.jpg

bobbi's books are more of a one-time read. it's the same thing over and over.

beautybook.jpg

this is my FAVORITE. i always refer back to it. there's lots of info in there, having to do with almost evertyhing beauty-related. love it!

8838103.gif

(bad quality, couldn't find another pic, sorry!) this one i just bought last month for $6 at barnes and noble. it's VERY basic, nothing worth going crazy over.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0761101861.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-

i've seen a couple at borders. i think like trish mcevoy or something.

but my faves are KA. there's a lot of different things in his books. tips, tutorials, makeovers with the celebrities.

If you look for daily basic makeup, I'd recommend Sonia Kashuk " Real Beauty ".

The book is for basic makeup, which we can wear for daily activity. It also has the bonus instructional DVD inside the book.

I love the book!

I'm not a makeup artist, what I need only the basic tutorials and inspirations of daily makeup.

I love Kevyn's books, but if you have one you don't need the others...they all say pretty much the same things. Nars's book is interesting. I also like the one by Sam Fine...I've got so many books, not too many of them are worth mentioning though.

It's funny I'm reading this thread b/c I just purchashed Trisha McEvoy's "The Power of Makeup" this week. Very interesting, but I'm thinking some of the girls on MuT are more knowledgeable than this book!
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha yeah its quite basic, tho i think we forget on here, that the "average" woman doesnt know a great deal about MU, these kinda books are geared for them i think. x LOL yeah I think we tend to forget that!
icon_redface.gif

I like all of Kevyn's (who doesn't on here?) and I have checked out Bobbi Brown's Teenage Beauty, and another one of hers. Hers are more basic information, I think, and are more enjoyable if you are first starting with makeup and don't know a lot about techniques, formulas, etc. I have also seen one by Cindy Crawford, which was interesting, but not enough so for me to buy.

I think I prefer asking you girls instead of looking up information in a book, since its more personalized by talking to someone and they can give you more accurate information based on skin type/tone, eye/hair color..I just love MuT:icon_love

Everyone is helpful and it isn't clique-y like other forums, where they offer their word like gospel, and that is the only way to do something 'right'...And only talk to longtime members, and ignore new members that want to learn, as well..... (/gushing)

I have the KA ones which I adore, a Space NK one, an Aveda one and bits of advice out of my "What not to wear" books.

My favourite hands down is my NARS one though. I think the colour descriptions are much better than in the KA books and I love the acetate pages covering the photos that show you exactly where to put the colour. I think most of the looks in the NARS book would be wearable with some modifications.

Originally Posted by Trisha yeah i like the NARS one for that reason! if i ever i had a book, i wana do acetates too!
i think he should done one at the front of the book explaining everything on the face tho eg browbone, crease, deep crease, temples, cheekbone etc etc xx

That would be cool. I like beacuse it focusses on the makeup rather than the overall transformation. Although KA's books are amzing I think lighting and the overall scene of the picture contribute to the look too. The photos in the NARS book are just of the models face and the lighting seems to be the same throughout. A lot of people are quite crtical of it because her recommends his own products, but I think that helps, even if you don't want to get the NARS product you can still see what they would look like in person.
My only criticism of it is that the application description is not right next to the big photos and you have to flick back and forth.

My faves are:

Kevyn Aucoin's books (of course)

Linda Mason's Makeup:Art of Beauty

Bobbi Browns's Beauty

Eve Pearl's Plastic Surgery Without the Surgery

I think I might splurge on the Nars one soon, after reading the posts here
smile.gif

If you want more technical stuff, I also recommend:

Vincent Kehoe's Technique of the Professional Makeup Artist (although it really IS technical, as it talks about special effects and lab techniques and hair kits for makeup artists)

I haven't read the Richard Corson book Stage Makeup, but a lot of people rave about it (only if you're interested in stuff other than beauty makeup)

Originally Posted by iloveparis I think I might splurge on the Nars one soon, after reading the posts here
smile.gif

If you want more technical stuff, I also recommend:

Vincent Kehoe's Technique of the Professional Makeup Artist (although it really IS technical, as it talks about special effects and lab techniques and hair kits for makeup artists)

I haven't read the Richard Corson book Stage Makeup, but a lot of people rave about it (only if you're interested in stuff other than beauty makeup)

You'll love the NARS one. You've got me curious about those last 2 now though. I'm going to be doing make up for any of the shows that my school does in future with a team of pupils to help me so those books might be quite handy.
Edit: I totally forgot about the book I was going to add. If you're just starting out the InStyle Guide to Getting Gorgeous is really good. It has some good tips for application based on eye shape, and colours. Plus it recommends products based on skin type and colouring. I always like the beauty spreads in In Style so this has been a good book for me.

The MAKEUP Book by Leigh Tosselli

its a very nice one,or maybe b/c it's the only make-up book i bought
icon_rolleyes.gif

I love kevyn aucoin books!
smile.gif
I have some of his, I also have My FAVORITE makeup book Is by Robert Jones! He is PHENOMINAL!!

I wasn't verry into bobbi brown's makeup books... I believe I have "beauty" in my swap items list, I will have to check that later,

Originally Posted by Lealabell You'll love the NARS one. You've got me curious about those last 2 now though. I'm going to be doing make up for any of the shows that my school does in future with a team of pupils to help me so those books might be quite handy.
Lea, if you're doing shows with your pupils (which is really cool), I would suggest the Stage Makeup book by Laura Thudium. I've glimpsed through it at our library, and it's awesome as well, plus a lot more palatable to younger people, as the one by Richard Corson is very encyclopedic (sp?).

Originally Posted by Leony If you look for daily basic makeup, I'd recommend Sonia Kashuk " Real Beauty ".The book is for basic makeup, which we can wear for daily activity. It also has the bonus instructional DVD inside the book.

I love the book!

I'm not a makeup artist, what I need only the basic tutorials and inspirations of daily makeup.

i had that one (not the DVD, library didn't carry it) and it was very basic, but it was good.

Latest posts

Back