Makeup brands you don't want to try?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do definitely understand the appeal of Mac. I guess my biggest problem with them is how they come out with SO many random products, but don't expand their core collection in ways it's lacking. For example I'm really fair skinned and their face products only go down to an NC20....I'm an NC05-NC10 and ever time I go there they insult me for being so pale and LAYER products on me to darken or as they say "correct" my skin color. In my opinion no professional should tell you your coloring is the problem instead of their lack of suitable products.

This is what I look like naturally compared to what they did to me last time I went in...they turned me into an oompa loompa 
madno.gif

While I am darker than you are, I've also posted what MAC did to me...I don't WANT to be dark. I LIKE being pale. Plus, yeah, they have lots of things that scream "impulse buy" more than an actual collection that seems to have any cohesion.

I like to have a little bit of everything in my case, so I'm willing to try different brands if the reviews/price is agreeable. There are just a few brands I keep at an arms length.

Drugstore:

UGH, Covergirl!!!!! I started using it when I was like 13, because at the time, it was the only drugstore brand that had a proper match to my skin. Then, a couple years ago they did away with my shade (Toasted Almond) in their regular foundation, and it was only available in the True Match stuff (which is garbage IMO). Their mascaras are crap, eye shadows are such poor quality, the ONLY product I purchase from them time and time again is the Ultimate Finish cream foundation in Classic Tan, I use it as like an all over concealer for my acne scars. I think they are phasing it out slowly because its getting harder and harder to find that shade. 

Almay: I used to really like their liquid eyeliners but that's about it. They cater to the lighter skinned ladies, so I really just have no interest in their brand.

Physicians Formula: I have been using their bronzers for years, but their other products are a hot mess. Too much shimmer, not enough staying power.

I'm totally obsessed with Rimmels mascaras, love Miliani bronzers and shadow sets, Maybelline Fit Me is actually the first DS foundation since Toasted Almond that worked for me, ELF, NYX, and Revlon always have something for me!

High End:

I really like MAC, UD, MUFE, Too Faced, Lorac and some of the Sephora brand items. My mom worked at Lancome for about 15 years, so it was always around the house. The only thing I really like from them is Definicils, but I always had the sample sizes, I cant justify spending 30something on a full size tube that is going to get thrown away in 3 months. Clinique and I had a falling out last year over Perfectly Real, most of Estee Lauder products make my skin feel like its on fire, the super high end brands like Givenchy, YSL and Dior just have zero appeal to me. Bare Minerals is top on my list of hell no, never going there products. 

I like MAC mostly for the foundation and skin care items. I agree with a lot of other posters, the whole new LE collection every month is so dumb, what bothers me is none (that I know of) of the products from these LE sets make it into the permanent line. 

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow!!! That's insulting!! I would definitely be offended if I went to shop for makeup and they told me that I was too dark because they couldn't match me. Yes, they come out with a lot of collections, which I really don't understand. As far as I know, they're the only makeup line that does that.
 I have zero issue if a company says hey you have a unique skintone that we can't match, but this eyeshadow or this blush would be great for you. But they didn't even ask me If I wanted to look darker... they just flat out spoke to me like I should be insecure about my skin color. Really rubs me the wrong way 
irked.gif

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While I am darker than you are, I've also posted what MAC did to me...I don't WANT to be dark. I LIKE being pale. Plus, yeah, they have lots of things that scream "impulse buy" more than an actual collection that seems to have any cohesion.
Yes exactly!!! I'm not going in with the mindset of of "omg I'm so repulsively pale, please fix me!"...I love my skin color and don't appreciate being made to feel like it's a flaw. I've been shopping at Mac for around 10 years and In all that time they have not expanded their shade range even one color, yet come out with random collections every month. It just makes no sense to me

Also do they REALLY think someone is going to wake up every morning and layer on products to darken their skin tone that much? I mean they had powder all onto my arms, neck, chest, everything to make it look like that was my coloring 
doh.gif

Drugstore brands I don't care for: Almay, PF, Hard Candy. As a teenager I wore Cover Girl, Maybelline, and Loreal but haven't really bought anything since then from them.

Drugsstore brands I like: I do love Wet'n'Wild, Milani and NYX though. ELF is hit and miss. I do have one Revlon Lipstick that I can't seem to part with and always replace when it runs out.

HE brands I don't care for: MUFE, Smashbox, BareMinerals (Is this still considered HE?) and a few others. The main reason is that I find myself having reactions to their products from hyper sensitive skin.

HE brands I like: UD, Stila, Lancome, Too-Faced.

To be perfectly honest, I have so much makeup that I usually just replace stuff when it is used up or expires. It has to be something super unusual for me to go on a spending spree these days.

@Fairest: you have beautiful white skin. It is beautifully striking against your bright hair (which I adore btw). I am quite pale as well and its hard to find makeup that doesn't make me look all orange. If I had a company be that rude to me, not only would I not purchase from them again, I would also be calling up and making a complaint.

Also do they REALLY think someone is going to wake up every morning and layer on products to darken their skin tone that much? I mean they had powder all onto my arms, neck, chest, everything to make it look like that was my coloring 
doh.gif
Some of the broads out here do, scarily enough.

I grew up in Florida and was always proud of being pale. Moved to Japan, fell in love with Asian cosmetics for that exact reason. Moved to Europe and still got no grief for it. Moved back to America and when I wound up in California and in Arizona.....everyone seems to think I want to "fix" what I don't happen to think is broken! I'm absolutely broken-hearted that I've had to move up to the "light" as opposed to the "fair" shade in most cosmetics (for the summer). I'd MUCH rather have the pale skin that I've cherished all my life than the bronze "ideal"....I just think it LOOKS better with my hair and eyes and it SUITS my personality far better.

I'd kill to have your skin tone. It's gorgeous. But with my hair, I'd look like Vampira. Not that that's always a bad thing :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Just saying that I LOVE my natural coloring and HATE when companies try to shame me into something I don't wanna be!

You know I would have said MAC but now that I have my MAC Pro card I'll be buying more products from them. LOL I honestly can't say no to any company except Micabella and their subcompanies. Overpriced for mica when there are so many companies out there with similar and better products for less money. I'll even give drugstore lines a try.

I agree Zadi, my Pro card makes things easier! I've purchased so much more since I've had my Pro card (almost 3 years now).

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know I would have said MAC but now that I have my MAC Pro card I'll be buying more products from them. LOL I honestly can't say no to any company except Micabella and their subcompanies. Overpriced for mica when there are so many companies out there with similar and better products for less money. I'll even give drugstore lines a try.

I'm not interested in Dior, YSL Clarins, Guerlain or Laura Mercier as they seem to be brands geared to old ladies. Different reasons I stay away from brands like Hourglass or LORAC (nothing about their products stands out), Bare Escentuals (Blah), Hello Kitty, Tokidoki (makeup for children?), Too Faced and Kat Von D (Benefit or UD wannabes), Wen (Chaz on the infomercials bugs me), MAC (the counter is always too crowded for me to bother looking)..

I don't buy LE cosmetics except wet-n-wild eyeshadows, it might be cheaper but I don't want the hassle of not being able to try it first OR have clerks give me a hard time about returning something used if I don't like it.

Covergirl, Rimmel, NYC, Tokidoki, Hello Kitty, Revlon (I only love one lipstick from them), Physician's Formula, Burts Bees, Jordana, Bare Minerals, Buxom, Duwop, Guerlain, YSL, Cargo, UltraFlesh, Kenzo, Perfekt...

I'll have to agree with you on pretty much every brand you listed. I have a blush from Lorac that I've had for years and I like it but it's nothing special. The only other thing I've tried of theirs is the lip polishes. I think I was more obsessed with the packaging (looks like a little bottle of nail polish) than anything. The formula isn't that good. I mean, it's high gloss but thin and runny.

Originally Posted by suenotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not interested in Dior, YSL Clarins, Guerlain or Laura Mercier as they seem to be brands geared to old ladies. Different reasons I stay away from brands like Hourglass or LORAC (nothing about their products stands out), Bare Escentuals (Blah), Hello Kitty, Tokidoki (makeup for children?), Too Faced and Kat Von D (Benefit or UD wannabes), Wen (Chaz on the infomercials bugs me), MAC (the counter is always too crowded for me to bother looking)..

I don't buy LE cosmetics except wet-n-wild eyeshadows, it might be cheaper but I don't want the hassle of not being able to try it first OR have clerks give me a hard time about returning something used if I don't like it.

I mean, why bother with a second rate version of something someone else already does better?

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll have to agree with you on pretty much every brand you listed. I have a blush from Lorac that I've had for years and I like it but it's nothing special. The only other thing I've tried of theirs is the lip polishes. I think I was more obsessed with the packaging (looks like a little bottle of nail polish) than anything. The formula isn't that good. I mean, it's high gloss but thin and runny.
The only LORAC I even have is the 3D Liquid Lustre for eyes (basically a pearl pigment suspended in mineral water). It's fun, but I can achieve the same effect with my NYX pigments, so I don't think I'll be rebuying it.

I mean, why bother with a second rate version of something someone else already does better?
Because it's cheaper. I bought the Dupe for MAC's All that Glitters for $2. I don't have enough money right now to buy the real thing and the dupe is just fine with primer.

I'm not interested in Dior, YSL Clarins, Guerlain or Laura Mercier as they seem to be brands geared to old ladies.
That was always the impression I got from Elizabeth Arden. I almost never see anyone at their counter at my local Macy's, and when I do it's usually a...more mature lady and by that I mean one whose first vote was for Eisenhower. Of all the brands out there I think this is the one I steer clearest of, and I can't figure out why, except for the fact I haven't turned 50 yet; it's odd when I think of it because Elizabeth Arden was my first higher-end brand way back in the day. I grew up in a very small town outside Buffalo, and to our rural sensibilities Elizabeth Arden was JUST IT. Around here the popular image of Dior seems to be snooty, not senior coffee at Mickey D's, and it doesn't seem to move much out of Sephora; but they have a product called Lip Glow I really like (a balm that turns a gorgeous rose once applied) for those days when I don't feel like going crazy with my makeup.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@Fairest: you have beautiful white skin. It is beautifully striking against your bright hair (which I adore btw). I am quite pale as well and its hard to find makeup that doesn't make me look all orange. If I had a company be that rude to me, not only would I not purchase from them again, I would also be calling up and making a complaint.
Well thank you!!! 
icon_redface.gif

Yes makeup nothing is worse than an orange face haha. I did speak to a manager and complained while I was there (with the makeup on), but the manager stuck up for the stylist saying she was the "pro" and knew her stuff. Ya right lol

Some of the broads out here do, scarily enough.

I grew up in Florida and was always proud of being pale. Moved to Japan, fell in love with Asian cosmetics for that exact reason. Moved to Europe and still got no grief for it. Moved back to America and when I wound up in California and in Arizona.....everyone seems to think I want to "fix" what I don't happen to think is broken! I'm absolutely broken-hearted that I've had to move up to the "light" as opposed to the "fair" shade in most cosmetics (for the summer). I'd MUCH rather have the pale skin that I've cherished all my life than the bronze "ideal"....I just think it LOOKS better with my hair and eyes and it SUITS my personality far better.

I'd kill to have your skin tone. It's gorgeous. But with my hair, I'd look like Vampira. Not that that's always a bad thing :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Just saying that I LOVE my natural coloring and HATE when companies try to shame me into something I don't wanna be!
Aww thank you!!! I'm a Floridian as well and as you said pale skin sets you apart here. Unfortunately it gives you a good dose of hyper pigmentation from sun damage as well so trust me when I say my skin is far from perfect. And I'm jealous you can pull off dark hair!!!...I'm a natural platinum blonde and seriously look like a corpse with darker hair. My natural color washes me out so the brights are all I have that looks decent even when I get tired of them 

And I'm jealous you can pull off dark hair!!!...I'm a natural platinum blonde and seriously look like a corpse with darker hair. My natural color washes me out so the brights are all I have that looks decent even when I get tired of them 
Aw, thanks. I have just enough pink that I don't look ghastly with it dark. I'm actually in the process of returning to my natural color after *far too many* years of coloring it (from crayon colors to raven black to various forms of red). Naturally, it's a really deep brown with just enough red in it. Jealousy for me comes from my mother STILL having flame-red waist-length hair, even in her late fifties. Ah well.

Aw, thanks. I have just enough pink that I don't look ghastly with it dark. I'm actually in the process of returning to my natural color after *far too many* years of coloring it (from crayon colors to raven black to various forms of red). Naturally, it's a really deep brown with just enough red in it. Jealousy for me comes from my mother STILL having flame-red waist-length hair, even in her late fifties. Ah well.
Me too, I've FINALLY been happy with my self enough to be content with my natural hair color. I've been dyeing it various shades of red and blond for decades. I'm pretty weird and I'm old enough to realize I don't _have_ to also yell to the world, "hey look at me! I'm unique and my hair is unique too!" I mean I can dye it if I want to,  but I no longer feel the need that I _have_ to do it. I have no problem with others who want to color their hair, I happily did it for many years and I do love "fairest of all's" hair, but I also really support the women who go natural, especially african american women, I absolutely love their natural hair.  I think confidence exudes from women who keep their hair natural.

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Because it's cheaper. I bought the Dupe for MAC's All that Glitters for $2. I don't have enough money right now to buy the real thing and the dupe is just fine with primer.
Good point.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That was always the impression I got from Elizabeth Arden. I almost never see anyone at their counter at my local Macy's, and when I do it's usually a...more mature lady and by that I mean one whose first vote was for Eisenhower. Of all the brands out there I think this is the one I steer clearest of, and I can't figure out why, except for the fact I haven't turned 50 yet; it's odd when I think of it because Elizabeth Arden was my first higher-end brand way back in the day. I grew up in a very small town outside Buffalo, and to our rural sensibilities Elizabeth Arden was JUST IT. Around here the popular image of Dior seems to be snooty, not senior coffee at Mickey D's, and it doesn't seem to move much out of Sephora; but they have a product called Lip Glow I really like (a balm that turns a gorgeous rose once applied) for those days when I don't feel like going crazy with my makeup.
Elizabeth Arden, totally an old lady brand. (no offense to old ladies)

Back