Makeup brands you don't want to try?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been quite an interesting thread, just hearing the perceptions people have of different brands and the perceptions sales people have of their clientele.

I have been a Bare Minerals user for many years. Started out with the old fashionable loose minerals now I have transitioned to their new READY line and love it even more than the loose stuff. I also love UD, Too Faced, Tarte, IT Cosmetics. Tried MAC once a couple years ago but gave as it just wasn't working for me. I found their shadows chalky and hard to blend but that is just MY experience. I met some wonderful sales people and some horrible sales people through my venture with MAC. At sephora I am always up front about my VIB status as it does help me get great customer service there. I dress really boring too. Not fashionable at all. I am a tshirt and blue jeans with sandals kind of girl. No stilettos and mini skirts for me. But my makeup is immaculate, he he. I don't like brands that test on animals so that knocks out the drugstore brands for me. Which disappoints bc I love the Revlon lip butters and stains. I haven't used department store MU in years. Clinique used to be my HG when I was a teen. Tried Chanel once but way too expensive and wasn't good for my super oily acne prone skin. I think MU is such a personal thing. One woman's treasure is another one's junk. What is the deal with lime crime? What does the OP not like Kat Von D? Sorry I am not up to date on these issues.

Quote: Originally Posted by MakeUpAddicted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 I dress really boring too. Not fashionable at all. I am a tshirt and blue jeans with sandals kind of girl. No stilettos and mini skirts for me.
It is entirely possible to be fashionable in t-shirt and jeans; it's all in how ya put it together. My friends laugh about what a fashionista they consider me to be, but it's rare that I'm not wearing comfortable stuff like jeans and t's. What is the deal with lime crime?
They used to sell stuff that wasn't safe, I believe? Or perhaps it was that they were repackaging and claiming their stuff was original? I forget which, because, frankly, my issue with them revolves around the poor judgement they used in marketing a recent palette by using ethnic stereotypes. What does the OP not like Kat Von D?
Dunno about the OP but my issue with Kat Von D is that she isn't sanitary in her tattoo shop even though she has a communicable disease. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is the deal with lime crime?
They used to sell stuff that wasn't safe, I believe? Or perhaps it was that they were repackaging and claiming their stuff was original? I forget which, because, frankly, my issue with them revolves around the poor judgement they used in marketing a recent palette by using ethnic stereotypes.
Repackaged TKB Trading mica as her original Magic Dusts. It may have been true or it may not have been. It's also highly possible that her (Lime Crime) supplier was/is BASF who is the worlds leading maker of chemicals. It's where TKB Trading gets their products (mica) from.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Repackaged TKB Trading mica as her original Magic Dusts. It may have been true or it may not have been. It's also highly possible that her (Lime Crime) supplier was/is BASF who is the worlds leading maker of chemicals. It's where TKB Trading gets their products (mica) from.
So I remembered it about right. Awesome. I thought there was also a concern (please correct me if I'm wrong) that some of the ones being sold as eye product weren't eye-safe?

Why does everyone dislike Bare Minerals? I couldn't find much information on that. I ask because I recently started using them and consider them something of a godsend. I'm another very pale lady, with a lot of pink in my skintone, so finding anything that matches it is difficult. If they're doing something terrible, please tell me!
I'm not aware of them doing anything wrong, I just don't like mineral foundation, lol.  Nothing else in the line really stands out enough for me to search it out.  I'm not against them as a company, I just don't see much of interest there, lol. 

Lime Crime... that drama goes down the rabbit hole so deep that you may never dig yourself out.  Lying about where the makeup came from, lying about it's safety, mocking her customers (called one girl an idiot because she spent so much money with her), threatening to sue bloggers for bad reviews, astronomically bad customer service complaints... all of these have been all over the internet.

i have tried ELF makeup (plenty of it) and ughh all i can say is, I'M DONE. so... i'm not willing to try ANYMORE of it.

i don't want to try benefit cosmetics. all i hear from people are comments like 'it's expensive/overpriced and the quality isn't like uber amazing.' and i can't help but feel like they are right. i feel like it's overpriced cosmetics placed in uber cute packaging. it's a shame, i'd buy hoola if it was like $15 but not stinking $30

i don't want to try CG eyeshadows. i like their mascaras but ughh their eyeshadows suck.

I'm of the opinion that you can find at least one good product amongst almost any brand.  I guess the only thing that would be off limits for me is if I thought the company was unethical/shady or if I thought their ingredients were not safe.  The ingredients thing can be quite subjective as well. 

Having said that, MAC has never been on my radar and the varying quality of all the LE releases makes them seem so hit or miss.  I don't like the smell of Lancome cosmetics and think they are over priced.  I used both Elizabeth Arden and Clinique as a teen, but now don't find the quality matches the price, in general.  I can remember getting so excited about the huge sets that both Elizabeth Arden and Estee Lauder would release at Christmas, and still have a few nail polishes that must be at least 20 years old now.  They haven't dried up, surprisingly.

Some drug store brands have come out with some impressive products recently, so I've bought Revlon, Physician's Formula, L'Oreal, Maybelline, and Wet n' Wild products that I'm quite happy with, after having gone years without buying from these brands.  I view them as exceptions as opposed to the norm, but anytime I can find something I like and will use at much more reasonable prices, I'm happy. 

Tarina Tarantino's blushes are amongst my favorites, and I've heard great things about her eye pencils and eye shadows, so those are next on my list.  Tokidoko was never on my radar until Sephora started phasing them out, and now the gelato lip balm stain in Mozzarella is one of my favorites.  At the right price point I'll give things I never considered before a whirl.  I think reading beauty blogs has also opened me up to brands I never considered previously, including indie brands that I just did not know about. 

Companies that I tend to buy the most from or have the highest opinion of their products as a whole are Tarte, Korres, the Balm, Urban Decay, Too Faced, and Buxom. 

Thanks for your reply! You were the OP I was referring to. So how do you make your jeans and tshirts fashionable? Please clue me in. And thanks again!

Originally Posted by MakeUpAddicted /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for your reply! You were the OP I was referring to. So how do you make your jeans and tshirts fashionable? Please clue me in. And thanks again!
Everything is about fit and accessorizing. I do some customizing to make my t-shirts look less boxy, as well. But the main thing is proper fit.

Yeah, I read that story about threatening someone over bad reviews and that was so ridic. The girl actually recanted her review and that wasn't good enough for them so they (Lime Crime) wrote out the apology and demanded that the girl post it and she did! I wouldn't have recanted anything and I especially wouldn't be posting their own hand-written apology. Okay enough of that. 
soap.gif
  lol

Originally Posted by Kirari /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not aware of them doing anything wrong, I just don't like mineral foundation, lol.  Nothing else in the line really stands out enough for me to search it out.  I'm not against them as a company, I just don't see much of interest there, lol. 

Lime Crime... that drama goes down the rabbit hole so deep that you may never dig yourself out.  Lying about where the makeup came from, lying about it's safety, mocking her customers (called one girl an idiot because she spent so much money with her), threatening to sue bloggers for bad reviews, astronomically bad customer service complaints... all of these have been all over the internet.

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I read that story about threatening someone over bad reviews and that was so ridic. The girl actually recanted her review and that wasn't good enough for them so they (Lime Crime) wrote out the apology and demanded that the girl post it and she did! I wouldn't have recanted anything and I especially wouldn't be posting their own hand-written apology. Okay enough of that. 
soap.gif
  lol
Yikes. I can't see myself doing that, but I'm far more sassy in real life than I am on the internet.

I wouldn't say that there is any brand that i'd never try, I've kind of broadened my horizon lately when it comes to different brands.

I used to would have never ever touched Wet N Wild products.. but I've found out recently that their eyeshadow pallettes are actually pretty good! 

Drugstore I typically stay away from Covergirl, Maybelline, Almay.. I think Revlon is probably the best but I'm kinda scared to try some of there things.  I had a weird chemical reaction to one of their eyeshadow pallettes like 10 years ago, completely peeled off a layer of skin from my eyelinds.  So I pretty much refuse to try their eyeshadows or any other face products similar to that anymore.  But I like their eyeliners, lip products and nail polishes. 

I saw Lime Crime today on a nail polish blog - they are making polishes now.  I would have been clueless as to who they were if not for this thread.

Originally Posted by MakeUpAddicted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been a Bare Minerals user for many years. Started out with the old fashionable loose minerals now I have transitioned to their new READY line and love it even more than the loose stuff. I also love UD, Too Faced, Tarte, IT Cosmetics. Tried MAC once a couple years ago but gave as it just wasn't working for me. I found their shadows chalky and hard to blend but that is just MY experience. I met some wonderful sales people and some horrible sales people through my venture with MAC. At sephora I am always up front about my VIB status as it does help me get great customer service there. I dress really boring too. Not fashionable at all. I am a tshirt and blue jeans with sandals kind of girl. No stilettos and mini skirts for me. But my makeup is immaculate, he he. I don't like brands that test on animals so that knocks out the drugstore brands for me. Which disappoints bc I love the Revlon lip butters and stains. I haven't used department store MU in years. Clinique used to be my HG when I was a teen. Tried Chanel once but way too expensive and wasn't good for my super oily acne prone skin. I think MU is such a personal thing. One woman's treasure is another one's junk.

What is the deal with lime crime?

What does the OP not like Kat Von D?

Sorry I am not up to date on these issues.
Revlon does not test on animals.

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I saw Lime Crime today on a nail polish blog - they are making polishes now.  I would have been clueless as to who they were if not for this thread.
There was a time where I would have said no I wouldn't buy Lime Crime but I did say I would try their products at IMATS and make my decision then and my decision is that the Lime Crime products are good.

The thing is there is no proof about what was said about the mica being from TKB. The stuff about what Doe did to the other girl, that's one person's word against another. I feel for her if it happened but I've learned over the years there are three sides to the story.  Back to the TKB fiasco, TKB buys their mica from BASF and since BASF is a chemical company that sells to the cosmetic industry it's no surprise that the colors would be identical especially if no fillers or additives were used. Do you remember the Cellini Red that TKB sold a while back? It's from BASF, TKB doesn't make the colors they buy it in huge batches, break it down and resell it.

Interesting post, Zadi. I didn't know TKB bought wholesale and pretty much flips the products by reselling. Good information.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There was a time where I would have said no I wouldn't buy Lime Crime but I did say I would try their products at IMATS and make my decision then and my decision is that the Lime Crime products are good.

The thing is there is no proof about what was said about the mica being from TKB. The stuff about what Doe did to the other girl, that's one person's word against another. I feel for her if it happened but I've learned over the years there are three sides to the story.  Back to the TKB fiasco, TKB buys their mica from BASF and since BASF is a chemical company that sells to the cosmetic industry it's no surprise that the colors would be identical especially if no fillers or additives were used. Do you remember the Cellini Red that TKB sold a while back? It's from BASF, TKB doesn't make the colors they buy it in huge batches, break it down and resell it.

Back