Makeup brands you don't want to try?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey dolls! Are there any makeup brands that you just aren't interested in trying? For me it's Benefit. I've combed through the line at Sephora and nothing appealed to me at all and I just can't get into them. From the many comments that I've read about their products, it seems like they're a hit-or-miss type of brand. For drugstore, it would have to be Covergirl. I pass it up every time. Please, chime in!

Not a fan of CoverGirl, either :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And, honestly, with HE brands, I have to see something that makes me go "OOH" before I'm willing to try them. Sadly, there usually isn't much of that going on in brands that I haven't tried yet.

And we all know why I refuse to wear Kat Von D.

LOL!!! I remember reading your comment the other day. So what are some brands that you like?

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not a fan of CoverGirl, either :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And, honestly, with HE brands, I have to see something that makes me go "OOH" before I'm willing to try them. Sadly, there usually isn't much of that going on in brands that I haven't tried yet.

And we all know why I refuse to wear Kat Von D.

Drugstore? L'Oreal, Revlon (mainly their polishes), ELF, NYX.

HE: Benefit has a few products that I adore, but in general, I'm "meh" on them. The Balm and Tarte are two of my current HE favorites, though.

I'll give any brand the once over, Covergirl isn't my favourite though or Barry M, they just don't seem to have any good products :/ 

Although I know others who love both :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

for drugstore brands, covergirl and NYC. I only ever tried covergirl eyeshadows once, but the pigmentation was soo laughably bad. I like their waterproof lashblast mascara, but it makes my lashes brittle.

in terms of high-end brands, I tend to avoid brands that aren't best known for their makeup, like givenchy or dior. wayy too expensive to be worth it, and half the appeal is probably in the brand itself.

also not a fan of lancome--hugely inflated prices for mediocre products, they seem to rely on GWPs for sales. it's like making expensive products automatically equates them with quality and luxury. the lack of available ingredients info is also a turnoff.

I've always either really adored certain brands or just don't ever like any of their products. Some of my favorites are Urban Decay, Revlon, Makeup forever, Sonia Kashuk, NYX, L'oreal, & Wet n' Wild.

Some of my least favorites are Rimmel, Hard candy, Neutrogena, Almay, Covergirl and Mac. Mac to me is by far my least favorite. I don't like how they come out with 15 collections a year that have frequently repromoted or generic colors. They seem to rely on cute packaging or slapping a famous name on the collections to sell them. I've ended up with like 7 almost identical blushes that I got suckered into buying because of the cute packaging (Disney, Hello Kitty, Wonder Woman, Hey sailor, Surf baby, Liberty of London, etc)

Everytime I go to Sephora I comb through all the displays and try out products...occasionally purchase some, but I just don't care for anything I've tried other than UD and MUFE. Brands like Lorac, Clinique, Lancome, Bare minerals, and Smashbox just seem very boring and don't have any products that justify the high prices. Other brands like Tokidoki, Kat von D, Stila, Too faced and Tate seem very appealing as far as the advertising and product selection, but the quality is just not there. 

Drugstore: I have no desire to try Cover Girl either, BUT they have a dupe for MAC's All that Glitters so I bought it the other day and I love it! No desire to try anything else though like foundation, powder, mascara, eyeliners,etc. I used CG when I was young, like 13 or so, but haven't in many years. I also breeze by Almay, Neutrogena, Physicians Formula, always. No desire there.

I like: Revlon (love the lip butters and stain), NYX, ELF, L'Oreal (eyeliner), some Wet N Wild palettes and Jordana mascara and lip liners.

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Drugstore: I have no desire to try Cover Girl either, BUT they have a dupe for MAC's All that Glitters so I bought it the other day and I love it! No desire to try anything else though like foundation, powder, mascara, eyeliners,etc. I used CG when I was young, like 13 or so, but haven't in many years. I also breeze by Almay, Neutrogena, Physicians Formula, always. No desire there.

I like: Revlon (love the lip butters and stain), NYX, ELF, L'Oreal (eyeliner), some Wet N Wild palettes and Jordana mascara and lip liners.
What's the Covergirl shade that's a dupe for All that Glitters? That MAC shade is gorgeous, but I'm trying to buy more drugstore and way less HE stuff, so a dupe for that would be ahh-mazing. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's called Mink and is so pretty! I put it with Cover Girl Brown Smolder that's a dupe for MAC Espresso. I've been wearing it with Urban Decay Primer potion and I've had no problems with it fading or anything. MUCH cheaper than MAC on Drugstore.com I got it for 2.78 because of a buy 1 get one 1/2 off sale they were having

I found this picture and they are almost identical!

All+that+Glitters+and+Mink+swatches.jpg

It's called Mink and is so pretty! I put it with Cover Girl Brown Smolder that's a dupe for MAC Espresso. I've been wearing it with Urban Decay Primer potion and I've had no problems with it fading or anything. MUCH cheaper than MAC on Drugstore.com I got it for 2.78 because of a buy 1 get one 1/2 off sale they were having

I found this picture and they are almost identical!

All+that+Glitters+and+Mink+swatches.jpg
Awesome, thanks!! I know what I'll be picking up next time I'm wanting a new shadow. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'll have to agree with you on Physicians Formula, Neutrogena and Almay. They're so lackluster to me, not to mention they aren't really brown girl friendly. The only thing that even semi appeals to me from PF is their Lash Booster eyeliner.

It's so interesting to see all the responses. I think makeup choices differ so much from person to person! Personally, I love the benefit moisturizer and porefessional but don't use any of their other stuff. I also happen to LOVE Mac. I think its because it's the one place where I always find really amazing makeup guys to help me out. I can never get anyone to pay attention to me at Sephora! I'm with Beautiijunkii, PF has no appeal for me.

I guess what I've learned from this post is that it's really good that there are SO many makeup companies, because we all have such different needs!

i won't try anything that's not truly cruelty free so that rules out a lot of drug store brands.  i've never been a fan of cover girl, almay, PF, etc. 

i have now started building my E.L.F. collection because at those prices, why not? i also just got a promo code for 50% off everything on their website.

i've never used MAC, Kat Von D, or Dior. i'm happy to stick with Tarte and Too Faced as my go-to luxury brands.

Totally agree!! Also, MAC is just my baby. It was my introduction to HE cosmetics lines/brands and it's kinda like a soft place to fall for me. I know I'll always find something I like or love at MAC.

Originally Posted by MollyC2153 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's so interesting to see all the responses. I think makeup choices differ so much from person to person! Personally, I love the benefit moisturizer and porefessional but don't use any of their other stuff. I also happen to LOVE Mac. I think its because it's the one place where I always find really amazing makeup guys to help me out. I can never get anyone to pay attention to me at Sephora! I'm with Beautiijunkii, PF has no appeal for me.

I guess what I've learned from this post is that it's really good that there are SO many makeup companies, because we all have such different needs!

I do definitely understand the appeal of Mac. I guess my biggest problem with them is how they come out with SO many random products, but don't expand their core collection in ways it's lacking. For example I'm really fair skinned and their face products only go down to an NC20....I'm an NC05-NC10 and ever time I go there they insult me for being so pale and LAYER products on me to darken or as they say "correct" my skin color. In my opinion no professional should tell you your coloring is the problem instead of their lack of suitable products.

This is what I look like naturally compared to what they did to me last time I went in...they turned me into an oompa loompa 
madno.gif

Wow!!! That's insulting!! I would definitely be offended if I went to shop for makeup and they told me that I was too dark because they couldn't match me. Yes, they come out with a lot of collections, which I really don't understand. As far as I know, they're the only makeup line that does that.

I won't buy:

Almay-Their foundations/ powders all see to have a rosy tint. My skin has yellow undertones so it's impossible to match with their shades. 

Revlon. Maybelline, Cover Girl, Physician's Formula-Their eyeshadow's are poorly pigmented and often look bold in the pan and washed out on my eyelids. 

That being said, I love L'oreal, NYX, Boots and Sonia Kashuk.

I'd have to agree with you on Revlon shadows.  Very poor pigmentation. Now that I think about it, as far as drugstore eyeshadows go, I only really like Wet n Wild, NYX and ELF. Surprisingly, ELF's shadows are quite pigmented, a little powdery, though.

Originally Posted by TacomaGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I won't buy:

Almay-Their foundations/ powders all see to have a rosy tint. My skin has yellow undertones so it's impossible to match with their shades. 

Revlon. Maybelline, Cover Girl, Physician's Formula-Their eyeshadow's are poorly pigmented and often look bold in the pan and washed out on my eyelids. 

That being said, I love L'oreal, NYX, Boots and Sonia Kashuk.

Latest posts

Back