Makeup brushes brand? are they worth price

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do brand name brushes really make a difference or will a cheap version do the same job? I find makeup brushes to be sooo expensive (mac, stila, chanel, etc)
icon_cry.gif

I guess, it depends on the quality. There are some here who buy Craft/art store brushes and love them the same. I think you should try them. I have a few Sonia Kashuk brand brushes from Target and 1 Target brand medium e/s shadow brush. They do a great job and they were very cheap
wink.gif

Originally Posted by smallpuppy Do brand name brushes really make a difference or will a cheap version do the same job? I find makeup brushes to be sooo expensive (mac, stila, chanel, etc)
icon_cry.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine Like Lilla said, we do have a few members who like the crafts store brushes because they are cheap and they work. If you just want something that does the job (and nothing else) - maybe you could try the ones from the crafts store. However, the high-end brushes feel so incredibly soft against your skin and I think that's more about the "experience" of putting makeup on. That's just my opinion, and some other people probably feel otherwise. Ive never heard of a craft store in my life..maybe because I am living in Jonesboro, Arkansas where all you see is grass,cows and a small shopping plaza is considered a mall here!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine Wow that's kinda sad...I live among cows too! Hehehe. I know Michaels has a store finder on their website so you can probably check if you have one near you. AC Moore has one too...just click on the links to search.
Michaels Store Finder

AC Moore Store Finder

Thanks a lot!! The closest one near me is in Memphis which is like a hour away..but I ended up going on ebay and bidding on a 5 piece mac brush set..they have almost all the brushes you recommended me earlier..right now is at $46 including S&H (there is only 1 hr left) Ouch!! But oh well I guess is a good investment..hahaha

Originally Posted by smallpuppy Thanks a lot!! The closest one near me is in Memphis which is like a hour away..but I ended up going on ebay and bidding on a 5 piece mac brush set..they have almost all the brushes you recommended me earlier..right now is at $46 including S&H (there is only 1 hr left) Ouch!! But oh well I guess is a good investment..hahaha Hi Smallpuppy! Is there a Nordstrom near you? (Probably Memphis, huh?) MAC is having brush sets out for the anniversary sale on July 15th. I'd strongly recommend checking it out -- only $46 for a set of 5 short handled brushes.
Being a makeup artist, I really advocate investing in good brushes. Cheap brushes will fray, break and oftentimes don't blend pigment nearly as well as high quality goat hair/sable brushes. I'm a big fan of MAC and Japonesque brushes.

I agree with Joy that the brushes do make a difference. I bought a cheap set of brshes and it just didn't work for me. Slowly, I have been adding some MAC bruhses to my collection and it does wonders for my e/s application.

I've never tried expensive brushes, but I am perfectly happy with Sonia Kushak brushes from Target. Their smaller brushes are about $5 compared to Mac's $18-20, and their large powder brush is only about $12 compared to the $40-50 I've seen in other brands! Plus, they're made out of natural sable hair just like most high-end brushes. You can order some Sonia Kushak brush sets from target.com but for some reason you can't buy many of the individual brushes online although you can in the stores.

Craft store brushes also work well, so I've heard, and some of them will also be made out of natural hair... I only use them for painting but can see how they'd work for mu.
wink.gif
Hobby Lobby is another common craft store but you probably would have to go to Memphis to find one ...

L'Oreal and Maybelline also make brushes although I don't see them in every drugstore ... I like L'Oreal's lip brush, but haven't tried many others ... but those may be an alternative if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Just be wary of the super cheap brushes, like the kind where you can get 5 brushes for $2 or something, those usually aren't worth it
wink.gif

I am slowly trying to build up my high end brush collection like Mac, bobbi brown, laura mercier, shu uemura.........you can really find some nice brushes at less than retail price on ebay.com.........including the shipping ....and they are brand new too!

I have 5 high-end brushes and they do feel very soft, especially the squirrel hair ones. I think you will be very happy with Mac brush set you'll get from Ebay. I know that the expensive brushes last a very long time. I am excited for you, I just bought my second Mac brush today.

i only like high end brushes like mac and bobbi brown. application and blending is a lot more easier with them!

So far, most of my brushes are by Quo and MAC. They both have really good quality brushes. However, I buy my angled brushes (for brow and eyeliner), and a lip brush at the arts store. NO difference at all IMHO!

Originally Posted by smallpuppy Do brand name brushes really make a difference or will a cheap version do the same job? I find makeup brushes to be sooo expensive (mac, stila, chanel, etc)
icon_cry.gif
YES.
expensive brushes are so much better than cheap ones. i think MAC would be a very good investment. i have a few MAC brushes and they have lasted me for almost 5 years!

cheap ones usually break off when u clean them, and they are rough, and can irritate ur skin. if u have acne prone skin, it's eve worse!

so save up the money for those well-worth brushes girl
smile.gif
i remeber i use to buy drugstore brand ones (and also bodyshop brushes) which i didn't work out for me at all!

Originally Posted by Midgard i only like high end brushes like mac and bobbi brown. application and blending is a lot more easier with them! Hey welcome to mut,Im Gwendolyn form ny,must of missed your first apperance,lol.Hope you enjoy it here with us.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I started off with cheap brushes, then mid-range ones and gradually moved up to the higher end brushes. My MU applies much nicer with high end brushes, particularly blender brushes. I have a few MAC brushes and they're okay, I have some Stila brushes that I love, and I find that Trish McEvoy makes the best brushes. Beyond high quality brushes making application much easier, I find that they feel much nicer on my face (especially blue squirrel brushes) and they make putting on my MU a much more pleasurable experience.
icon_redface.gif

mac is coming out with a nordstrom's exclusive. They have a couple of brush sets that are in the Tailormade collection. they're cheaper than the individual brushes. but people think the quality isn't as good as the individual brushes. but it's good as a starter set. I think thye're like $44 for a set. there will be two sets with different brushes, so you can get both sets and have most of the brushes for much cheaper.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Hi Smallpuppy! Is there a Nordstrom near you? (Probably Memphis, huh?) MAC is having brush sets out for the anniversary sale on July 15th. I'd strongly recommend checking it out -- only $46 for a set of 5 short handled brushes.
Being a makeup artist, I really advocate investing in good brushes. Cheap brushes will fray, break and oftentimes don't blend pigment nearly as well as high quality goat hair/sable brushes. I'm a big fan of MAC and Japonesque brushes.

Yeah you are right the nearest one is in memphis!!
icon_wink.gif
Since you are a makeup artist (wow!) what do you think of Clarins brushes?
tongue.gif

I love my craft store brushes... they're hold up great, and I get awesome results. A whole collection under $30 - can't beat that!
wink.gif

Since most people have covered it, I'll just say that yes, higher end brushes are worth it!! I never understood until I tried some for myself, and WOW... what a difference!!

Latest posts

Back