Makeup NB needs advise

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all

So here's the deal. I don't wear makeup. There are a few exceptions... Halloween.. or someones wedding.. where i usually buy an eyeliner or mascara and call it a day.

Now.. I have a wedding to go to and am nervous about using the old mascara and eyeliner i bought over a year ago and used once. Does makeup go bad? I've read things like don't keep it for more then 3 months but does that count when i've only ever used it once?

Also.. What else can i use? i mean.. i know this sounds really ignorant but i seriously don't ever wear this stuff so i want to know what i need to buy.. like.. foundation? blush? is that a must have? eyeshadow? do you need to wear more than one color?

its so confusing to go to a store and see a gazillion things all with pictures of women looking too made up so i say **** it and walk out without a thing.

Let me also add.. i'm 27.. i *should* know how to put makeup on but alas... i am about as new to this as a 12 year...sad.. i know...

So there you have it.. what are the staples? advise on colors for a black haired fair skinned girl?

thanks!

I would defiantly throw out those old cosmetics. I throw my mascara out after four to six weeks. My eyeshadow I keep a little longer. Lipstick too.

If you’re just diving into the make-up routine, I would start with a tinted moisturizer and/or a translucent powder. If you’re developing character lines underneath the eyes, I’d go with a concealer too. And perhaps a sheer lipstick.

Welcome to MuT, pulp_g!
smile.gif

There are no real necessities with makeup...just wear what you think would make you look best (everyone is different)!
smile.gif
If you just want to wear eyeliner and mascara and you're comfortable with that, then that's fine!

The eyeliner you can sanitize by sharpening or wiping off the top layer with a tissue. I would definitely get a new mascara, though. Even if it isn't filled with bacteria (which it very well could be) it's probably dried out by now. hth!
smile.gif

makeup does go bad! toss out that old mascara immediately! are you having any issues with your skin? any little flaws you want to mask? that would help to know what to rec for your new makeup bag! lol~

thanks everyone!

heh .. no monniej, just wanted to not feel like a kid at the wedding i am going to.. heehee

Hello!! Welcome to MUT. You definitely need to toss that old makeup. It's a breeding ground for nasty bacteria.

If you need some ideas you can check out my FOTD's, we have similar coloring...Fair Skin and Black Hair.

Here's an idea for you -

To me, fair skin and dark hair are classic - think Snow White, or Bettie Paige, both gorgeous classic beautiies in totally different ways.

If your skin is even and pretty, don't worry at all about foundation. If you want to add a little smoothness, a tinted moisturizer is great. I'm oily, so a loose or pressed sheer powder is like my favorite cosmetic next to mascara and brow pencil (my lashes and brows are nearly clear in color). Sheer finishing powder is easy to use on top of bare skin, or over the tinted moisturizer, and it won't look heavy, nor will it be something that you'll need to worry about being "perfectly applied."

I'd definitely look for a blush - a light to medium natural pink or rose tone would be a gorgeous, no-work shade for you. Apply it under your cheekbones and onto the apples of your cheeks for a lovely, polished and pretty lift of color.

Eyes - I love a simple and sweet wash of a pearly neutral shade - a soft creamy white, delicate silver, a pale taupe or peach or yellow could all be pretty and perfect for you. Apply this on your entire lid, starting at the lashline and moving up to your eyebrow - take it all the way up, and then lightly blend the crease area with your finger - this will tone down the shimmer there and give you a very gentle sort of contour, so your eye isn't all one solid shimmery tone. The shimmery shadow can be applied very sheerly, too, so you don't look like you're wearing eye shadow, but rather just that your eyes have a delicate, gentle halo around them - like the eyes on an infant, how they sort of glow. You can take this same shade and trace your lower lashline from inner to outer corner, too. Very pretty!

Then mascara, and eyeliner if you want.

Lips are lovely dressed in a sheer rosy tone - look for a gloss with a delicate shimmer for a bit of gleam. And you're done! - Just fresh and polished and pretty and all set.

Not too hard, really!

You can probably still use the mascara and eyeliner, the mascara might just be a bit thicker or drier than when u first bought it but thats okay.

But why not spoil yourself, and it sounds like you are going to be buying other makeup as well...my advice would be to buy at 'gift time' if you can that way you will get a little pack with trial makeup products which usually always includes a mascara, Lancome and Clinique always have excellent 'gifts'.

For someone who usually doesn't wear makeup I would keep it simple.

Buy a neutral foundation in your colour, with a matte finish.

Apply sparingly by dotting on your face and blend under your eyes, with a foundation sponge. Blend very well into the skin with the sponge.

Apply a light beige/rose coloured cream eyeshadow (like Clinique or MAC paints) and blend from lashline to brow bone, using a cotton bud.

Apply a lengthening mascara, Hypnose by Lancome is great, and carefully apply (blot the mascara wand with tissue first), put on two coats of this.

Put some of the cream eyeshadow on the top of your cheekbones and blend very well back into the hairline with your foundation sponge.

Apply a nice neutral lipstick in a long lasting matt shade (Loreal has good shades), make sure the shade is very close to your natural lip colour, and blend it into your lips with a cotton bud (swab).

Done!

Latest posts

Back