Makeup or Fashion?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which is more important to you: having a great wardrobe or wearing great makeup?

Or another way to put it -- if you had to drastically cut your spending on either clothing or makeup, which one would you continue to spend money on?

I realize that the poll results may not represent the general population since this is a board mainly about makeup, but I was still curious!
smile.gif

I'm definitely more interested in make up but i should stop for a while coz i badly need some new clothes!

I guess clothing for me!! lol

Originally Posted by girl_geek

Which is more important to you: having a great wardrobe or wearing great makeup?
Or another way to put it -- if you had to drastically cut your spending on either clothing or makeup, which one would you continue to spend money on?

I realize that the poll results may not represent the general population since this is a board mainly about makeup, but I was still curious!
smile.gif

Well, it's an interesting topic, because makeup and fashion are intrinsically tied together (new spring makeup collections, for example, are tied to a certain fashion collection).

But for my personal wardrobe, I prefer to stay classic & simple... but I'm always keeping up with the makeup trends. That's just me -- I guess that's why I'm a makeup artist.
smile.gif
And also, I've been into art since I was a little girl, so buying makeup is to me is equivalent to buying drawing pencils and paint.

Hm, maybe I should clarify a little: you can wear classic clothes but still put a lot of effort into finding the perfect wardrobe! Even if you don't wear a lot of trendy clothes, if you're always looking through the whole mall to find the perfect pair of jeans or a classic business suit, you are still putting importance on clothes! However if you just buy whatever's on the sales rack in the first store you go into, then maybe you're not placing as much importance on your wardrobe as other people.

Anyways I thought it would be an interesting question because I was wondering if I was in the minority around here -- I put much more importance on my clothes, and then just stick to classic and/or natural looking makeup, though I will go for a few trends. I figure that your clothes make more of a first impression than makeup, unless of course you have wild and crazy makeup that really stands out! But consider the importance people will put on finding the perfect suit for a job interview -- in a college class I took they listed tons of details about what makes the best suit for an interview (like colors, cuts, pants vs skirts, even nylons and shoes), but all they said about makeup was "don't wear too much or too bright of colors." Or how about if you go out on a date -- I think a guy would be much more impressed with a sexy outfit and basic makeup, than a basic outfit and MAC eyeshadow! Or even when you see people walking down the street -- a glance at a distance will tell you what they're wearing and will give you a little insight into their personality and/or profession; however you have to get really close to notice makeup.

Anyways, there's certainly nothing wrong with paying more attention to makeup than clothes -- it's just that clothes are more important than makeup to me! Plus I am at a transitional stage in my life, and I'm trying to leave the typical jeans and t-shirt college look behind for a more professional wardrobe since I graduate in December! (And since everyone thinks I'm a 19-year-old college sophomore when I'm really a 23-year-old grad student, I really want to dress my age! Though I admit that makeup does play a role in looking my age, I do think the clothes are more important.)

But that's just me ... I am still curious what other girls think though!
biggrin.gif

BTW Joyeuux, there is a bit of an artist buried underneath my computer-geek exterior, and can certainly understand the appeal of experimenting with makeup! If makeup was free I think I'd wear a different color every day! lol

Hmm right now I would probably say clothes, although I do love makeup. The only thing is that I dont really wear bright colored makeup. I always wear the same natural look (it works!) unless I am going out. My walk-in closet on the other hand is unbelievable.

My closet is filled (mostly of stuff that no longer fits!!! UGH!) and so is my train case... so I guess I'm a tie. Although I am always buying makeup... clothes, usually only if there's a big sale somewhere or I have a coupon or gift card. Makeup I buy usually more than one... sometimes when I go shopping for clothes, I'll usually buy one new thing. I'm a big shopper, but I'm usually more w/ makeup than clothes.

I like both, but I'd have to go w/clothing. I tend to wear basic & classic makeup & would prefer to add a little edge to my clothing. Still basic, but w/a funky twist to it.

Don't let any of my friends hear this but could give up shoes..clothes are a hit or miss with me I only buy when its on sale and I really need it.

Makeup on the other hand I could not give up! Not possible! I have makeup I don't use of choice from high school. Only because I am looking for just the right shade of blush and it came up in by L'Oreal in the 80's . Two shades in one container. To this day those colors have not changed color or anything so when I am looking for a blush I still look for those colors.Now bad can I be?
icon_redface.gif

Now how this? People look for the best red lipstick?? I look for the best pink so I think I have a pink lipstick and or gloss in just about every shade pink could come in! Now I am branching off to the reds with gold so I am looking for the best there.

My friends call me the Makeup Queen! You need I got or I know just the right store to get it. Please don't ever let me loose in Macy's! Does skin care part of makeup? If it is then I had lots of it also. But right now I am trying out the products I am thinking of selling on my site. How much fun can one makeup freak have??
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by Naturally I think probably mu ...because even if I'm not really into the latest fashions ..just wearing jeans, etc ..I'm more interested in what kind of mu ..not necessarily using just any mu! Same with me, I am not really into fashion that much and only dress up on occasions where I have to. I love to just wear jeans and a nice top, I do love my makeup though, checking out new stuff and trying new looks, I won't even go out the door without at least a little makeup on.

I Vote for both Make up is make me up with very nice clothing...

I'm definitely more interested in makeup since fashion trends are so fickle. Besides, a lot of trends are geared toward younger people and I hate to say it, but I'm getting older and the idea of going around with crack cleavage or my underwear showing isn't my idea of style. Basically, I'm a jeans and t-shirt kinda gal, plain and simple.

Originally Posted by Tabitha I'm definitely more interested in makeup since fashion trends are so fickle. Besides, a lot of trends are geared toward younger people and I hate to say it, but I'm getting older and the idea of going around with crack cleavage or my underwear showing isn't my idea of style. Basically, I'm a jeans and t-shirt kinda gal, plain and simple. Crack cleavage, LOL!
Yea, I agree with you Tabitha. I find it's much easier to adapt my make-up to the changing trends. But in terms of fashion, when something is over, it's OVER and you're stuck with something outdated (until 20 years later of course, and it's popular again, haha!)

Hmmmm...I spend ALOT of money on both makeup and fashion, but if I had to choose one...I'd have to choose fashion. I can never pass up a hot pair of high heels(4 in or more) or pants that make my ass look like "WHOA"
icon_wink.gif
or a nicely shaped skirt(mini, mid, long, whatever) Pretty much everything I have is either black or some sort of neutral color. I had alot of clothes from 10 years ago that I could still wear today(if I fit them)

Makeup and fashion is what I spend the most money on, but if I had to cut out one, it would be makeup.

I love make up...I couldn't give it up. But with clothes, I just wear what I like...usually jeans and some kind of cool t-shirt. I am looking for a killer demin blazer though, which I can't seem to find. I like accessories more. You can make some clothes by wearing the right accessories
smile.gif

For now, makeup, definitely. I think I've only bought one new top in the last 3 months or so... not much else. But there's always something new I have to have in the makeup world.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

If I was forced (at gunpoint - LOL) I'd give up make-up but NEVER clothes. I am a total clothes-horse freak. I used to be a clothing designer so that might explain it. If I had to, I could throw on a pair of dark sunglasses to hide my pale face but I have to be dressed fashionably (not trendy).

My husband teases me all the time about my clothing addiction. I have a spare bedroom in our house that I converted into a huge open closet / dressing room. Initially, it was supposed to be a guest room but....my clothing collection was...er....is...more in need of a "home".
icon_redface.gif

Latest posts

Back