Makeup Tips for Deep-Complected Beauties

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
alek.jpg

If your skin is as deep as Alek's, you already know that finding suitable makeup can be a challenge, to put it mildly. Sad to say, lots of cosmetic companies don't make foundations in appropriate shades, but others do—and because many are specifically made for women of color, they're more likely to have nuanced and flattering shades. For my makeup tips for deep complexions,
  • This may be controversial, but if a certain company doesn't make foundation in your shade, I say skip 'em entirely. Why bother giving your money to a company that doesn't recognize your skin tone?
  • Look for foundation and concealer specifically made for women of color. Iman is a wonderful line in general, but its foundation is nuanced from shade to shade. If you're on a budget, Cover Girl Queen has foundations for deep skin tones, and it comes with a money-back guarantee.
  • Dark skin looks beautiful when it's complemented by sheer cosmetics (as seen on Alek here). Look for honey-toned lip glosses, soft gold eye shadows and rich plum blushes.
  • Red lips can look glamorous, but look for a shade with a blue undertone to complement your skin.
Source

Good information, I have a lot of friends who have a hard time finding the right shade...

Thanks for the info. I'm not as dark as Alek, but not too far from her complexion, but a lot of cosmetic companies are under the impression that all African(-American) women have red undertones. We do not. I happen to be dark with olive undertones.

Thats a great post. Dark skinned beauties need to be recognized more.

Hi,

The problem that I find when looking for dark foundations/powders they tend to be more red-based. If you're dark-skinned with yellow undertones, this winds up being a problem.

That wasnt exactly what i was expecting, but ok. Most of those are alittle "Duh" I just wish that there was more detail in it. Theres so many things black women are afraid to do when it comes to makeup. Maybe i should try and make a... something lol. I should make a something! I just need to find out what that something is.

Anyway nury, thanks for posting! Nice to see that your looking out!

Latest posts

Back