Makeup Tricks for Dark Skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Makeup Tricks for Dark Skin

By Lisa Kovalovich

More magazine

With so many new, beautiful cosmetics options for women of color, it's time to throw out that old, dated, just-doesn't-look-good-anymore makeup advice!

Here, fresh takes on old dark-skinned beauty thinking from Byron Barnes, creative director of Iman Cosmetics:

• Old thinking: Dark skin has red undertones; your foundation should be red, too.
  • Fresh take: "Nothing is further from the truth," says Barnes. "Most dark-skinned women have yellow or golden undertones in their skin." That means that your foundation should have those same yellow, golden undertones for the perfect match. Use foundation to cover dark spots, hyperpigmentation and uneven tone, all common problems for women with dark skin. A new formula to try: powder foundation. "It has the ease of application of a regular powder, but can give more coverage when buffed onto the skin," says Barnes.
<LI>Old thinking: Use super-bright blush shades of fuchsia, orange and red.
<LI>Fresh take: Stick to neutrals. "Bright colors aren't skin-tone friendly," says Barnes. His favorite cheek-color trick: Use bronzer in place of blush, sweeping it over cheekbones to add definition and to sculpt. If you love your blush shade too much to let it go, top it off with bronzer to soften the look. "Your blush should blend into your complexion," says Barnes.

<LI>Old thinking: Wear black liner and shadow on dark eyes.

<LI>Fresh take: Add color! Instead of sticking to black, go for blackened (read: deep, rich) shades of liner, such as deep navy blue or forest green. On lids, go for soft earth tones to complement your liner. "Earth tones are the most flattering to darker skin tones," explains Barnes. Ones to try: mauve, gold, brown, gold and pewter.

<LI>Old thinking: Use dark, matte lipsticks and liners.

Fresh take: "The newest thing is the glossy mouth," says Barnes. To achieve this look, skip your regular liner and try Barnes' trick: Use a brush to line your lips with a neutral shade of blush. "The blush keeps gloss in place and adds some shape," he says. Then fill in with a high-shine gloss in a shade like bronzy brown or shimmering

This is really interesting. I,ve already tried a few of these tips.

Thanks for the info!

i think he's just talking about breaking out of a particular mold. the tendancy for women of color is to wear black eyeliner and redlipstick, they've been lead to believe thats all that suits them, when wonderful colors like purple, copper and gold pick up the richness of beautiful dark skin.

these are great tips, thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by -Liz- /img/forum/go_quote.gif i think he's just talking about breaking out of a particular mold. the tendancy for women of color is to wear black eyeliner and redlipstick, they've been lead to believe thats all that suits them, when wonderful colors like purple, copper and gold pick up the richness of beautiful dark skin.these are great tips, thanks for posting!

She's right. I was afraid to wear color, and then I started to wear purple shadow as liner as well as other colors that seemed to compliment me. Not overtake my face and thanks to it because I now have many different options to choose from when it comes to makeup.

Women of color need to know what their options are when it comes to makeup. There are more than we think.

i find it helpful. thanks. i am going to try that blush one really soon. i personally don't limit my self to any color i wear what ever whenever when it comes to makeup. you just have to make it your own.

Nice tips! It's amazing how shades transform when placed on different skintones!

I agree that more freedom is best for all - choose your colors to please yourself. Just don't get stuck in a rut!

-b.

those were some interesting tips. but hey i like to wear a neutral lipstick like 4n and Cherish because they give a lil color but mostly nude like colors...my lips are light anyways so im not feeling dark color lipsticks like plum colors...adn i like my red and pink lipsticks so
biggrin.gif
lol...other than that, it looks okay..and i think personally anybody can wear any color whether it is bright or dark, it's all really how u wear it...and hopefully that is within moderation and within blending properly if it is eyeshadow

So I will have a fresh look for the fall semester...sweet! Thanks a lot!

Latest posts

Back