makeup virgin needs help with bridal makeup!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need some advice from people who know about makeup! I'm getting married in 3 months and will be doing my own makeup. The problem is, I don't usually wear it (apart from concealer and mascara) and have a few questions.

I'm fair skinned with a tendency to blush, my skin can get quite dry and is easily irritated by products, especially fragranced ones. I'm 34 so have a few fine lines on my forehead and around my eyes, but not many luckily. I don't want to look overly made-up - just like a more pretty, polished version of me!

1. How necessary is a primer? I know that I need to wear foundation to look good in photos, but because of how my skin is quite sensitive, try to avoid putting too much stuff on my face.

2. Could you recommend me a foundation that would suit my skin? I understand I need to avoid ones with SPF in for photos?

3. What kind of powder is good?

4. What colour blusher is good for somebody who blushes anyway?!!

5. Is lipstick necessary for a bride do you think? I NEVER wear lipstick, I think it looks ridiculous on me for some reason - lip gloss on a night out is as far as I go! I was thinking a lip stain or something?

6. What concealer should I use? I usually use touche eclat under my eyes, but I've heard that it doesn't look good in photos because it's a highlighter. but not sure what the alternative would be.

I think I will be okay with my eye makeup - I'll be investing in an eyeshadow primer, wearing some neutral eyeshadow, eyeliner and waterproof mascara.

any advice or tips would be appreciated, thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You should go into a makeup store and have a sit down at a counter. They can go over things with you and do a tutorial on the spot, giving you tips on what and how to use products. Youtube is a great resource as well..I think definitely use primers on eyes and face, since you aren't going to want to retouch your make up constantly. You'll want a semi- or matte foundation, so you're not looking overly shiny in photos.

I find that makeup GUYS are really awesome to work with. I'm not sure why, but all the best makeup I've had done have been from men... Also, don't be afraid to tell them you don't like a color or a shade.. it's your choice dear! and congrats on the wedding!

[SIZE=10pt]1. How necessary is a primer? I know that I need to wear foundation to look good in photos, but because of how my skin is quite sensitive, try to avoid putting too much stuff on my face. [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Why not try Korres Silicone-free? If you're one to feel like you have too much on, this has a great light texture and no silicone in it, so it doesn't have that feeling of layering something on your face. I personally think that primer is especially important on special occasions, as it helps keep your foundation in place and looking fresh as well as evening out the surface of your skin temporarily. This one feels more like a light moisturiser than a primer, and keeps your makeup looking fresh for longer. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]For your wedding, if you're wearing eyeshadow, I think eyelid primer is a must. The best one I know of is NARS Smudgeproof. It goes on invisible, so smooth it on your lid before applying your eyeshadow. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2. Could you recommend me a foundation that would suit my skin? I understand I need to avoid ones with SPF in for photos? [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Not necessarily free of SPF, but MINERAL sunscreens can be reflective. So can oilier finishes. I recommend a semi-matte foundation, but you'd have to give me details on what kind of coverage you want. Do you want a light, natural finish or something a bit more matte? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Since you said a "pretty, polished version of me", I REALLY recommend you giving Guerlain's "Lingerie de Peau" a try. Its a light foundation, and the formula, wear and finish are amazing. It gives you a light, evened out glow and is a real step up from tinted moisturiser without being too dewy. The finish is semi-matte. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3. What kind of powder is good?[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Do you really want to powder? Since it sounds like you want a more natural finish, I'd say keep powder to a minimum. Powder will generally give you less of a natural, fresh finish and more of a matte, "done" finish - if you use too much, you also risk it settling into fine lines. If you plan on powdering, do it sparingly. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4. What colour blusher is good for somebody who blushes anyway?!![/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Your natural blush is gorgeous, so work it! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]5. Is lipstick necessary for a bride do you think? I NEVER wear lipstick, I think it looks ridiculous on me for some reason - lip gloss on a night out is as far as I go! I was thinking a lip stain or something?[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Lip stains are actually a learning process, so perhaps no. Hmmm. For a bride-to-be with your attitude towards makeup, it sounds like something low-maintenance that you don't have to worry about would be best. How about getting something light and sheer, like one of those lipstick-balm hybrids that many designer brands have been making lately? One that comes to mind is Rouge Coco Shine in Elise: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]http://www.mywomenstuff.com/2012/08/lipstick-bandits-i-sheer-ly-would-have-no-problem-finding-a-sheer-lipstick-to-share/[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Its a sheer wash of colour, and if it wears off, it doesn't matter. The formula has a bunch of shades. [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]http://karlasugar.net/2011/03/chanel-rouge-coco-shine/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]6. What concealer should I use? I usually use touche eclat under my eyes, but I've heard that it doesn't look good in photos because it's a highlighter. but not sure what the alternative would be.[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I've already recommended you OCC. Not all concealers are made equal, so try first. I  don't think Touche Eclat is really all that photo-appropriate, so find something shimmer-free in a natural finish, also with a good formula. I highly recommend OCC, MAC Pro Longwear Concealer, and TheBalm Timebalm concealer for fantastic wear, impressive coverage and a natural opaque finish. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]For you, I'm thinking... Get a facial a week before, then:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Primer[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Concealer[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Sheer Foundation[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Lightly shade in your brows[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Wash of champagne (or whatever colour naturally enhances your skin) eye shadow. If you want, try subtly highlighting your brow bone, inner corner, and just under your tear duct with an eye shadow that isn’t too shimmery. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Subtle eyeliner[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Mascara[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Sheer lip colour (in a pretty, fresh colour) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]or lip gloss (Pick your favourite, though probably something quite sheer, fresh and natural). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Easy. And you're done! [/SIZE]

Back